Cassi Crow

Featured Posts

From the content of your posts it seems to me you have got sucked into this deal and the seller knows it.

I believe the buyer should always be in control, very few people need to buy a boat.

I've heard the "life's too short" argument many times. But use it to rush into an emotive purchase of a boat and the period of regret will seem like an eternity.

PS I've just seen the latest posts on this and if there was ever a case for walking away...

Edited by Neil2

Yer kiddin!

We all talk ousselves into buyin' the boat we fall in love with...

MtB

Not me - I fell in love with Iona after we bought her. I was very unimpressed when we viewed her but the price that Dave negotiated was so outstanding that I had to agree.

Then I learnt a bit about boats and we took her up to Doug Moore territory ....

Gutt says, greedy, complete noobs at selling boats or...just very cunning. Mind says, their taking the piss now.

Stick around the forum, make friends in the know, and next time you will be offered help from your new friends. Boaters are awesome that way :-)

• Greenie 1

I wouldn't buy it, why should he be annoyed you want a survey, surely you paying the asking price it's a done deal. The seller seems to me to be very unreasonable and want's it all one sided to get you to buy it without a survey.

When I bought my boat It was at a broker, The broker put in a low offer, it was refused and we settled on 5k off the asking price. It was sold at this point as I paid a deposit of £1000 a few days later and it was refundable if the survey was bad except a £100 admin fee.

Everything went well with the survey and I paid the balance. If a survey revealed anything major then I would of re negociated. In my case it needed blacking and new anodes.

I know you can get emotionally involved but you must go into this on the pure financial side so as there are no nasty surprises or expenses. I fear if you have this boat surveyed and the seller actually agrees and it comes up with faults you will end up paying for them if you continue or loose the survey fee.

I personally would tell the seller to .......................

Good luck on your boat hunt, I fear this boat and seller isn't the one.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited to add, all this by using the mooring as a persuader as it's been paid in advance, but then I have no security after that. Hmm, I think I'm beginning to see the answer to my questions.

Cassi

Also be aware that the mooring may not be transferable even if it is paid up. There are often clauses like 'mooring transferable subject to agreement' or such like, it's likely it will be but worth double double checking as it seems important to you.

Walk away. The seller is being very unreasonable. Who offers the asking price at the moment? If he is not trying to do the deal without unreasonable terms then leave him to it. Plenty more boats out there. And the "mooring" is quite possibly as solid as a piece of wet tissue - no guarantee you would get it once you have bought the boat so don't be swayed by that.

ETA: especially if the moorings have a long waiting list.

Edited by dor

Moorings where I am are not transferable with a boat should you purchase one that moors there. The only possibility is if there is no other person on the waiting list which is unlikely.

There are a lot of boats for you yet to view so do go see them,good luck with your search.

Is it my imagination that some adverts on appollo duck which say they were posted a few days ago were actually posted weeks before ?

I think if a seller logs in to amend/edit an advert it bumps it back to the top and resets the 'age' of the ad. I know for a fact there is a tug for sale on there that says it was posted 3 days ago, when In fact it has been on there almost the whole year.

General consensus seems to be it doesn't seem reasonable and I'm inclined to agree. I just feel I owe it to myself to do the 2nd viewing. Will also try and get more info on the moorings from the marina

I am preparing myself to walk away though.

Just another thing, I checked the jim-shead site and it says boat is shorter than in the advert. Is that info reliable? Yet another issue to query tomorrow. Seems like more alarm bells as I did confirm advert details with him.

General consensus seems to be it doesn't seem reasonable and I'm inclined to agree. I just feel I owe it to myself to do the 2nd viewing. Will also try and get more info on the moorings from the marina

Just another thing, I checked the jim-shead site and it says boat is shorter than in the advert. Is that info reliable? Yet another issue to query tomorrow. Seems like more alarm bells as I did confirm advert details with him.

The JimShead site data originates from CRT, so the shorter length is the length licenced and is probably correct. This 'could' be the reason they are being tricky about the survey. A survey includes measuring the lenght and width.

If you like the boat and can confirm the mooring transfer with the landlord then there is no reaon not to buy it, but don't trust the seller an INCH given their record so far.

MtB

Hey Cassi

If the difference in length is only a couple of feet I wouldn't worry too much. Ours was sold to us as a 57' boat, we unearthed previous sales details that listed her as 55'. For licencing purposes you're meant to include the front and back fenders in the measurement. Out of interest we attempted to measure our boat and came up with just short of 57', excluding fenders.

ETA cross posted with Mikey Bee - I'll have to dig out our survey to see what length we are :)

Edited by Ange

Have you actually checked with the marina that the mooring is transferable, most say it isn't although they normally do, why kick you out and have it empty until they find a new customer. I'd definitely speak to the marina before you pay out one penny. You could also ask them if they know of anyone on the marina who's looking to sell, they may know people who are thinking about it that's how I got mine, the marina manager put me in touch with someone who'd said to him he'd be looking to sell after the summer, he got in touch with the guy and 3 weeks later it was mine.

Hey Cassi

If the difference in length is only a couple of feet I wouldn't worry too much. Ours was sold to us as a 57' boat, we unearthed previous sales details that listed her as 55'. For licencing purposes you're meant to include the front and back fenders in the measurement. Out of interest we attempted to measure our boat and came up with just short of 57', excluding fenders.

ETA cross posted with Mikey Bee - I'll have to dig out our survey to see what length we are smile.png

Quite. Never forget a boat has two lengths: a selling length and a licensing/mooring length ;)

MtB

P.S. Actually make that three lengths: Selling length, surveyor's measured length, an licensing/mooring renting length.

To be fair, the seller of my boat was a legend of "do not trust" tales, lied and tried to mislead me over many things, but I got there in the end, because I never assumed anything he said was true, called him out on things, researched on my own, threatened to walk away and ultimately, he needed to sell more than I needed to buy... So he thought!

Edited by Starcoaster

Hi Cassi,

as a fairly recent boater, I would go along withth the cautious advice, given above,

If you are lie me, this bvoat wiull be your dream, but don't let your dream let your heart rule your head.

Get a survey and read it carefully.

If there is work to do, cost it sensibly.

If the sum of the purchase price plus what you need to spend to make your dream a reality makes sense to you - go for it. Otherwise, keep your cash in the bank and look further, because you will eventually find the boat you're looking for.

• Greenie 1

Hi Cassi,

as a fairly recent boater, I would go along withth the cautious advice, given above,

If you are lie me, this bvoat wiull be your dream, but don't let your dream let your heart rule your head.

Get a survey and read it carefully.

If there is work to do, cost it sensibly.

If the sum of the purchase price plus what you need to spend to make your dream a reality makes sense to you - go for it. Otherwise, keep your cash in the bank and look further, because you will eventually find the boat you're looking for.

Very sound advice.

Measure the length with a tape measure, in front of him. Call him on it if the facts demand! Sounds to me as though there will be loads of scope tom drive a coach and horses through the advert description. Every claim you expose as fiction means a reduction in price. Use his lies to negotiate the price down and down...

Good luck and do keep us informed!!

MtB