Wanted - Book "Conserving Historic Vessels"

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I know this is a bit of a long shot but I want to get hold of the book called "Restoring Historic Vessels" (Published by National Historic Ships in 2010)

I am working with some others within The Chesterfield Canal Trust to try and put togther a 10 year maintenance/restoration plan for Python and have been told this book could be really beneficial to us.

I can buy it from The Historic Ships Register but the price tag is somewhat beyond my personal means and this is something I would prefer not to think The Trust would have to finance so before our team pass the hat around to buy a brand new copy I thought I would ask the great and the good on here just in case someone has a second hand copy they would be willing to part with for a cash sum which is hopefully a little less than that of a new copy.

Here is a link to show the book I am after

http://shop.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum/books-prints/reference/product/conserving-historic-vessels.html

C~R - the book is called 'Conserving Historic Vessels', not restoring. At £30 it looks reasonable, except that's just for volume three

Pluto's link looks more useful

Richard

MORE: Would your local library get a copy in for you?

Edited by RLWP

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am kicking myself about the title of the thread being wrong - I was mutli tasking when I typed it. I suspect anyone who might have the book I want would look at it anyway and it was just a shot in the dark really.

I can get it at the members price because Python is on the historic ships register but even then it comes to £27 with postage. I might need to give them a call to ask if we need all 3 volumes. It is a book that is required as a reference when preparing an application for a grant towards restoration work so ultimately buying the book could pay big dividends - but I will always try and save The Trust a bit of money (that is when I am not trying to make money for them)

Derek R - that is a very fine coat you have there! ;)

Thread title changed.

Oooh! Thanks Dan! you changed that right as I was typing to say I was kicking myself I got it wrong!

I didn't like to bother the mods to ask for it to be changed but I didn't have to What a star!

(snip)

I can get it at the members price because Python is on the historic ships register but even then it comes to £27 with postage. I might need to give them a call to ask if we need all 3 volumes. It is a book that is required as a reference when preparing an application for a grant towards restoration work so ultimately buying the book could pay big dividends - but I will always try and save The Trust a bit of money (that is when I am not trying to make money for them)

(snip)

You don't need Vols 1 or 2 (in fact, I don't know if they were ever in print, or just available as download.) Vol. 1 deals with recording details of unsalvageable vessels, and Vol. 2 deals with deconstruction.

Iain

I know this is a bit of a long shot but I want to get hold of the book called "Restoring Historic Vessels" (Published by National Historic Ships in 2010)

I am working with some others within The Chesterfield Canal Trust to try and put togther a 10 year maintenance/restoration plan for Python and have been told this book could be really beneficial to us.

I can buy it from The Historic Ships Register but the price tag is somewhat beyond my personal means and this is something I would prefer not to think The Trust would have to finance so before our team pass the hat around to buy a brand new copy I thought I would ask the great and the good on here just in case someone has a second hand copy they would be willing to part with for a cash sum which is hopefully a little less than that of a new copy.

http://shop.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum/books-prints/reference/product/conserving-historic-vessels.html

I worry reading this, are we heading back to yet another "as (not) built restored Josher? Too many of the maintenance boats that have evolved have been "returned" to "original" and we are losing the evolved heritage of our waterways craft. One example recently is "Ling" which now will join the fleet of "restored" Joshers that arent as they were originally built and have lost their history in the process. I congatulate people like the owners of "Radiant" who have kept the boat as delivered in its working livery, at least all can appreciate what that boat looked like at the end of its working days.

Maybe this is not your intention and as she is Python represents what BW could acheive with little skill and no money but the boat survived working and is still working..

I worry reading this, are we heading back to yet another "as (not) built restored Josher? Too many of the maintenance boats that have evolved have been "returned" to "original" and we are losing the evolved heritage of our waterways craft. One example recently is "Ling" which now will join the fleet of "restored" Joshers that arent as they were originally built and have lost their history in the process. I congatulate people like the owners of "Radiant" who have kept the boat as delivered in its working livery, at least all can appreciate what that boat looked like at the end of its working days.

Maybe this is not your intention and as she is Python represents what BW could acheive with little skill and no money but the boat survived working and is still working..

From what I have heard about Python (and I believe the same also applies to Panther) your fears are unfounded, I think, Laurence!

You have no need to worry Laurence.

The team that manage Python (and indeed The Chesterfield Canal Trust) have no desire to return her to what she used to be. In fact exactly the opposite and we want to ensure she is kept in her present form representing the period of her working life immediately before she was retired by BW. We agree with you. Yes perhaps once she looked resplendent with her back cabin and beautifully painted livery but to return her to that would mean massive surgery adding a lot of brand new metal to recreate what went missing back in the 1980's We don't want her to be like "Triggers Broom". While she is in the hands of The Chesterfield Canal Trust no attempt to return her to her previous life will happen.

You may find it interesting to read the latest newsflash on Python that was released last week:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/membership/reports-and-blogs/490-30th-august-a-plan-for-python

In fact when we arrived at Grendon Basin for docking I made Matthew Burge promise that when she came out of there she would still be 53' long! I also repeatedly requested confirmation that she had not grown in length from Laurence Williams each time I called. He assured me that even they would need her for more than a week! biggrin.png

Apart from anything else The Chesterfield Canal Trust are foremostly interested in restoring a canal. Any massive recontruction of a boat costs a significant amount of money and that money is better placed in rebuilding locks or bridges than extendng a historic boat. Python, as part of their fleet, is a publicity vehicle. It does The Trust no good whatsoever if they get bad publicity from a boat being poorly maintained and so her dedicated crew are extremely keen to ensure she is looked after in the very best possible way but in the most cost effective manner. The volunteers actually donate many bits and pieces to keep her running and looking her best themselves and those that we cannot get donated we always hunt around to see what sort of discounts we might be able to get. We are very aware that you cannot cut corners on the important things like looking after her hull and so she is in extremely capable and experienced hands with Paul Barber who is always willing to not only allow our volunteers on site to work on her but offers them advice and assists them by using his equipment to do the stuff that it can be hard to achieve otherwise.

Last year Python embarked upon a new working life as well. She was involved with a group of volunteers for C&RT who worked on clearing overhanging vegetation on The Chesterfield Canal. Being a proper working boat again with a hopper leant to us by CRT - here are the details:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/latest-news/press-releases/444-canal-a-river-trust-gets-help-from-python

The trial was a huge success and she was supposed to be spending a week doing the same during October but it is far more important that we get a proper schedule in place for her long term maintenance and with Mike Carter and Paul Barbers assistance that is what will happen this winter - and that is why I needed the book!

Thanks everyone for their interest in this thread.

Edited by cheshire~rose

In fact when we arrived at Grendon Basin for docking I made Matthew Burge promise that when she came out of there she would still be 53" long! I also repeatedly requested confirmation that she had not grown in length from Laurence Burge each time I called. He assured me that even they would need her for more than a week! biggrin.png

Laurence Burge? - Good God, are they starting to clone these "Josher" boys to end up with enough steerers to cover the ever growing fleet? :lol:

I didn't realise Python had been shortened that much!

Ok - another edit - memo to diary - I must not type long posts like that before my first coffee of the morning. ;)

Thanks for keeping it bumped up guys but please can someone complete the proof reading for me sometime soon?

You have no need to worry Laurence.

The team that manage Python (and indeed The Chesterfield Canal Trust) have no desire to return her to what she used to be. In fact exactly the opposite and we want to ensure she is kept in her present form representing the period of her working life immediately before she was retired by BW. We agree with you. Yes perhaps once she looked resplendent with her back cabin and beautifully painted livery but to return her to that would mean massive surgery adding a lot of brand new metal to recreate what went missing back in the 1980's We don't want her to be like "Triggers Broom". While she is in the hands of The Chesterfield Canal Trust no attempt to return her to her previous life will happen.

You may find it interesting to read the latest newsflash on Python that was released last week:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/membership/reports-and-blogs/490-30th-august-a-plan-for-python

In fact when we arrived at Grendon Basin for docking I made Matthew Burge promise that when she came out of there she would still be 53' long! I also repeatedly requested confirmation that she had not grown in length from Laurence Williams each time I called. He assured me that even they would need her for more than a week! biggrin.png

Apart from anything else The Chesterfield Canal Trust are foremostly interested in restoring a canal. Any massive recontruction of a boat costs a significant amount of money and that money is better placed in rebuilding locks or bridges than extendng a historic boat. Python, as part of their fleet, is a publicity vehicle. It does The Trust no good whatsoever if they get bad publicity from a boat being poorly maintained and so her dedicated crew are extremely keen to ensure she is looked after in the very best possible way but in the most cost effective manner. The volunteers actually donate many bits and pieces to keep her running and looking her best themselves and those that we cannot get donated we always hunt around to see what sort of discounts we might be able to get. We are very aware that you cannot cut corners on the important things like looking after her hull and so she is in extremely capable and experienced hands with Paul Barber who is always willing to not only allow our volunteers on site to work on her but offers them advice and assists them by using his equipment to do the stuff that it can be hard to achieve otherwise.

Last year Python embarked upon a new working life as well. She was involved with a group of volunteers for C&RT who worked on clearing overhanging vegetation on The Chesterfield Canal. Being a proper working boat again with a hopper leant to us by CRT - here are the details:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/latest-news/press-releases/444-canal-a-river-trust-gets-help-from-python

The trial was a huge success and she was supposed to be spending a week doing the same during October but it is far more important that we get a proper schedule in place for her long term maintenance and with Mike Carter and Paul Barbers assistance that is what will happen this winter - and that is why I needed the book!

Thanks everyone for their interest in this thread.

I am so glad to read this and wish you very good luck with the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just bought a copy of the book mentioned and as Python is sat next to Ling im sure one of the members can either have a look or borrow the book:-)

Hi I just bought a copy of the book mentioned and as Python is sat next to Ling im sure one of the members can either have a look or borrow the book:-)

:)

That is very kind of you - I decided I may as well order the book and it arrived last week. Having had just a quick look at it I believe it is likely to be a very helpful and informative book and I imagine that anyone who did buy a copy of likely to keep it for reference throughout the ownership fo their vessel.

I was supposed to be reading a little more of the book tonight so I better get off this forum hadn't I?

Seeing the photo's of how good Ling is looking now I am almost tempted to say that you buying the book now is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but the mindset of the book reminds me that just because you have done so much work to Ling over the last couple of years does not mean to say her conservation is finished with.

I look forward to seeing Ling sometime soon

Well Laurence. as the back cabin still exists, the rear deck is as it was and the bw gunnel's are under the new ones. All one might have to do in the future to return to 80's bw, cut off bow and stern cabins and put the old bits back on, its not the end of the world. At the end of the day Ling is how I want her just like Barnet is how you like her!!

smile.png

That is very kind of you - I decided I may as well order the book and it arrived last week. Having had just a quick look at it I believe it is likely to be a very helpful and informative book and I imagine that anyone who did buy a copy of likely to keep it for reference throughout the ownership fo their vessel.

I was supposed to be reading a little more of the book tonight so I better get off this forum hadn't I?

Seeing the photo's of how good Ling is looking now I am almost tempted to say that you buying the book now is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but the mindset of the book reminds me that just because you have done so much work to Ling over the last couple of years does not mean to say her conservation is finished with.

I look forward to seeing Ling sometime soon

That's not a problem book will be here if it needs referencing to.

Thank you for your comments re Ling, I'm pleased with the work the guys have done at P J Barbers, also the speed of the work. They started end of January this year and if I had kept the HR2 I'd have been off out and about long ago :-D

• Greenie 1

They do a grand job at PJ Barbers..... Paul did a cracking job on Python last year for us. Python will be surveyed in October and then we will know how much work we are going to be asking of Paul this year. He can't make a start on her until early next year anyway so the fact that he has taken her in now is a huge help to The Chesterfield Canal Trust because taking her up the Trent to her home waters in the winter is no fun and with the winter stoppages on The Chesterfield she could get trapped up there.

They do a grand job at PJ Barbers..... Paul did a cracking job on Python last year for us. Python will be surveyed in October and then we will know how much work we are going to be asking of Paul this year. He can't make a start on her until early next year anyway so the fact that he has taken her in now is a huge help to The Chesterfield Canal Trust because taking her up the Trent to her home waters in the winter is no fun and with the winter stoppages on The Chesterfield she could get trapped up there.

Have read the proposal all sounds good

If SICKLE had been left as BW intended, she would be a perforated flower garden on the bank somewhere, much like several old steam rollers became childrens playground aparatus (until H & S stepped in). Some of those have been restored to working condition after much of their original structure and components had been removed.

There is a place for ex-working boats to be preserved in the state they last worked in. At the least, it will present some evidence of BW's ability to desicrate some fine craft into floating crew cabins/pillboxes. Yes, there is room for them and they'll be welcomed I'm sure, and as always cost will be a major influence on restore or retain.

• 2 weeks later...

Will you be heading to the BCLM to protest the removal of the Willo Wren cabin from Kildare to be replaced with a wooden one??