Have I done wrong?

Darren72

Featured Posts

Instead they had put a huge floating fence thing around it all, causing quite a blockage to the water point access etc.

So....good work for removing what you could....it's causing much chaos.

So exactly what "chaos" might that be?

The water point is perfectly accessible. Even with a widebeam such as yours. Boats regularly turn around by the water point.NO issue whatsoever.

The pontoon arrangement was put in by Lockkeepers and local residents, working together, to provide a safe storage for the "islands" until they can be craned out (far too many to be kebbed out individually). Originally, this pontoon was no wider than the old BW engineering boat moored next to it - it is now slightly wider, thanks to a boater moving the end fastening, in order to moor his boat. How considerate of him....

So tell me, what would YOU prefer the lockkeepers to do? Should they have stopped your boat from coming up the 5, whilst they spend a week kebbing out the top of the lock? (because that would have been the alternative). Seeing as you were on a schedule, I imagine you would now be ranting about the inefficiency of their lockkeeping, rather than their kebbing skills.

Edited by majorminor
  • Greenie 1

So tell me, what would YOU prefer the lockkeepers to do? Should they have stopped your boat from coming up the 5, whilst they spend a week kebbing out the top of the lock? (because that would have been the alternative). Seeing as you were on a schedule, I imagine you would now be ranting about the inefficiency of their lockkeeping, rather than their kebbing skills.

Hey ho. Someone else with a snotty reply to a perfectly amicable statement. Some very short tempered people on here... maybe they need to go boating and chill out a bit... anyway. bugger all that, I'm off up the Caldon to see if I can spot any floating islands up there. Edited by Arthur Marshall

So exactly what "chaos" might that be?

The water point is perfectly accessible. Even with a widebeam such as yours. Boats regularly turn around by the water point.NO issue whatsoever.

The pontoon arrangement was put in by Lockkeepers and local residents, working together, to provide a safe storage for the "islands" until they can be craned out (far too many to be kebbed out individually). Originally, this pontoon was no wider than the old BW engineering boat moored next to it - it is now slightly wider, thanks to a boater moving the end fastening, in order to moor his boat. How considerate of him....

Wow!

laugh.png

Edited by Gazboatman

Major minor, Dean is a good natured poster not known for being grumpy or complaining.

You have got him all wrong.

Take a chill pill

I'm sure he is. Good luck to him.

But inventing tales of "blockages" and "chaos", where none exists, is nonsensical, however nicely it is putwink.png

Edited by majorminor
  • Greenie 1

Don't know what your moaning about. On lake Chad in Africa, which is a big big lake the natives all live on their floating islands of rotting vegitation, they love it and are all comfy like with their families and livestock, floating willy nilly about propelled by variable and fickle winds and never knowing where they'll bring up, wake up next or who their new next door neighbours will be. And no propellers to foul up.

Don't know what your moaning about. On lake Chad in Africa, which is a big big lake the natives all live on their floating islands of rotting vegitation, they love it and are all comfy like with their families and livestock, floating willy nilly about propelled by variable and fickle winds and never knowing where they'll bring up, wake up next or who their new next door neighbours will be. And no propellers to foul up.

They make spiffing toys too! Down there in Chad Valley.

They make spiffing toys too! Down there in Chad Valley.

This is really going off topic. What I say is that if we are not going to discuss weeds, aggro, or capital genitalia and mentioned in the OPosting then we should not say anything at all.

Note that I have mentioned all three so I am considered blameless.

Here is a related but somewhat smiley_offtopic.gif observation. I hate it when I see bunche of ripped up polythenic detritus with incorporated vegetation on the towpath. These will be items removed from NB props (or plastics boats props, perhaps) and the responsibility of the boater responsibly to dispose of the items responsibly.

End of microrant.

N

This is really going off topic. What I say is that if we are not going to discuss weeds, aggro, or capital genitalia and mentioned in the OPosting then we should not say anything at all.

Here is a related but somewhat :smiley_offtopic: observation. I hate it when I see bunche of ripped up polythenic detritus with incorporated vegetation on the towpath. These will be items removed from NB props (or plastics boats props, perhaps) and the responsibility of the boater responsibly to dispose of the items responsibly.

End of microrant.

N

Runs off to the naughty corner for having the audacity to bring a bit of light relief into the thread. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the trader had his bollocks holding his ears apart, simply to stay on topic!

Edited by Doorman

Here is a related but somewhat smiley_offtopic.gif observation. I hate it when I see bunche of ripped up polythenic detritus with incorporated vegetation on the towpath. These will be items removed from NB props (or plastics boats props, perhaps) and the responsibility of the boater responsibly to dispose of the items responsibly.

End of microrant.

N

If it's vegetation I'll generally leave it on the side/in the hedge. If it's plastic/man made I'll bag it and take it.

Bob

End of microrant.

N

Not really completely off topic Nick. Although nowhere near lake Chad unfortunately. Chad valley toys was named after a little stream near Birmingham called the Chad where the factory was. They made mainly nice, attractive, colourful and very tangiable clockwork tin printed tinplate toys and teddy bears. Kenneth Horne of radio broadcasting fame was once their MD. They were bought out by Pallitoy then Woolworths and now Argos I believe have exclusive rights to the name Chad valley. I do a bit of toy collecting myself and have one or two Chad valley items, Tri-ang minic and Hornby ''0''gauge tinplate trains. They are all very nostalgic to me, a pleasure to look at and gloat over and they make very nice ornaments, and a joy to play with on the table or floor. I think they made some clockwork boats too which must be a wonderful sensation to watch them whirring around in the bath. smile.png

Happy valley here I come.

Edited by bizzard

Kenneth Horne of radio broadcasting fame was once their MD.

Wandering further away from the floating grass sod, Kenneth Horne of 'Around the Horne' fame?

My late brother used to belly laugh at the comedic broadcasts on the programme many years ago. What I would do to hear him laugh like that once more!

Edited by Doorman

Wandering further away from the floating grass sod, Kenneth Horne of 'Around the Horne' fame?

My late brother used to belly laugh at the comedic broadcasts on the programme many years ago. What I would do to hear him laugh like that once more!

Yes Around the Horne Kenneth. Those old programs like Round the Horne, Hancocks half hour ect can still be heard on didgital radio ''Radio 4 extra'' usually at 8am, midday, and evenings. Yes minister on at the mo.

Yes Around the Horne Kenneth. Those old programs like Round the Horne, Hancocks half hour ect can still be heard on didgital radio ''Radio 4 extra'' usually at 8am, midday, and evenings. Yes minister on at the mo.

It would be ideal if they were also to be heard in the 'afterlife' as my brother would really appreciate that. He was buried along with his mobile phone and TV remote control, probably at his own request and granted by his wife.

It would be ideal if they were also to be heard in the 'afterlife' as my brother would really appreciate that. He was buried along with his mobile phone and TV remote control, probably at his own request and granted by his wife.

Yes that would be nice. Perhaps it happens though. Your brothers wife must now keep getting up to operate the telly manually.

Yes that would be nice. Perhaps it happens though. Your brothers wife must now keep getting up to operate the telly manually.

Don't be daft Bizz,

They had his and hers to save all the battles for total TV control!

Not really completely off topic Nick. Although nowhere near lake Chad unfortunately. Chad valley toys was named after a little stream near Birmingham called the Chad where the factory was. They made mainly nice, attractive, colourful and very tangiable clockwork tin printed tinplate toys and teddy bears. Kenneth Horne of radio broadcasting fame was once their MD. They were bought out by Pallitoy then Woolworths and now Argos I believe have exclusive rights to the name Chad valley. I do a bit of toy collecting myself and have one or two Chad valley items, Tri-ang minic and Hornby ''0''gauge tinplate trains. They are all very nostalgic to me, a pleasure to look at and gloat over and they make very nice ornaments, and a joy to play with on the table or floor. I think they made some clockwork boats too which must be a wonderful sensation to watch them whirring around in the bath. smile.png

Happy valley here I come.

I remember Chad Valley too. Watch out Bizzard. Any more historical musings will cause me to banish this to the history and heritage forum.

N

A bloke who sells frozen diary products

They don't sound very convenient. You'd have to wait for them to thaw out before you could write your appointments and your friends' telephone numbers in them.

Well spotted! I wondered when someone would notice. I put it in on purpose................honest!!