Self Pumpouts should be banned

DeanS

Featured Posts

Another observation......we were moored about 50ft from the elsan point (offside of canal), and were inside our boat...and the whiff that arrived when they started their pump out....was far worse...even at that distance....than I have ever experienced with a casette. Even if it's once a month or two, I would never enjoy having to stand closer than 50ft while doing a pump out....WHAT A PONG

That's why I say there is a lot CaRT could do relatively cheaply to obviate this by having a stand pipe into the sewer that self pump outers connect to; Cuts out contact with the air.

That's why I say there is a lot CaRT could do relatively cheaply to obviate this by having a stand pipe into the sewer that self pump outers connect to; Cuts out contact with the air.

Are they all a universal size though? that would only work if all SPO pipes were the same diameter surely?

Another observation......we were moored about 50ft from the elsan point (offside of canal), and were inside our boat...and the whiff that arrived when they started their pump out....was far worse...even at that distance....than I have ever experienced with a casette. Even if it's once a month or two, I would never enjoy having to stand closer than 50ft while doing a pump out....WHAT A PONG

Thay may be the case with self pump out kits but with "other" pump outs, whether operatd by a boatyard or by the boater himself, there is a seal between the pump out hose and the boat (else the pump out wouldn't work, I reckon) and the other end is a long hose which disappears into the yard tank or a drain. At no time are the loo contentrs exposed to the air therefore there is virtually no smell during the pump out.

haggis

Edited by haggis

Are they all a universal size though? that would only work if all SPO pipes were the same diameter surely?

I suppose that one could envisage a situation where CRT provided a SPO connection on sanitary stations, and banned ALL use of SPO equipment into their facilities other than by connecting to these points.

The use of SPO equipment that wasn't adapted to use these connections would not be allowed.

How do you know they don't use sanitary stations?

Having spent over 30 years boating, 10 of them as a liveaboard (quite possibly fitting your notion of "these people") I have yet to see someone empty a toilet into the cut.

Non-conformism is not the same as not caring.

I imagine anyone who doesn't care about their immediate environment, whether fitting your stereotype or not, just tips their crap in the cut but I have yet to witness it.

I'm a live aboard. I conform. So why would I have that notion about liveaboards?

As I said in an earlier post they ain't gonna do it in front of you are they!

They don't move for weeks and weeks. I've never seen a pile of cassettes and I don't believe they use the sanitary station. You should see the state of the place when they leave. It's a shit hole.

They don't move for weeks and weeks. I've never seen a pile of cassettes and I don't believe they use the sanitary station. You should see the state of the place when they leave. It's a shit hole.

Oh so you already know how "these people" manage...

Why ask the question then?

Are you bored?

No but you must be, having an off-topic pop at other peoples' lifestyles for no apparent reason.

The thread is about the filthy practice of self-pumpouts, not your assumptions about someone.

I have never seen you emptying your toilet into the cut but you "aint gonna do it in front of me", are you? rolleyes.gif

Emptying in the cut must happen though we have certainly been passed by the contents of somebodies cassette or PO tank while out cruising still floating on the surface, there are some very deep and very isolated parts of the Northern Waterways which must tempt some boaters (from whatever category) to risk it.

No but you must be, having an off-topic pop at other peoples' lifestyles for no apparent reason.

The thread is about the filthy practice of self-pumpouts, not your assumptions about someone.

I have never seen you emptying your toilet into the cut but you "aint gonna do it in front of me", are you? rolleyes.gif

Why does it have to be filthy? If its done in the correct manner in the correct place by the correct number of people, ie. at least two, then it doesn't have to be.

I will have a pop at someone else's lifestyle if I feel it is justified and in this case it is. Rubbish all over the place, dog shit everywhere. You ain't seen it so it don't happen. ?

Why does it have to be filthy? If its done in the correct manner in the correct place by the correct number of people, ie. at least two, then it doesn't have to be.

I will have a pop at someone else's lifestyle if I feel it is justified and in this case it is. Rubbish all over the place, dog shit everywhere. You ain't seen it so it don't happen. ?

I will have a pop at someone else's lifestyle if I feel it is justified and in this case it is.

You are attacking an individual (it would seem) who is not here to defend themselves on an irrelevant thread.

Why not start your own thread and present evidence?

You wouldn't come across so badly if you conformed you know? wink.png

You are attacking an individual (it would seem) who is not here to defend themselves on an irrelevant thread.

Why not start your own thread and present evidence?

You wouldn't come across so badly if you conformed you know? wink.png

It's not an individual Carl. There's six or seven boats there at the moment. I'm not saying all of them leave the mess, only two or three of them at any one time.

I wasn't the one who started posting about dumping it in the cut so why should I come across so bad. Starry had a bit of a dig at me to start with. Doesn't matter really. We can't all agree all of the time but it does go on. You can't deny it really. Other people have said they have seen it floating by their boat and I don't think bad of them, do you? Do you really think some people don't do it?

Yes, CaRT would most definately have cleaned it all up. . . . .oh yes.. rolleyes.gif

Actually YES!!! They would.

A few weeks ago I was moored on the Services point at Skipton on the L&L.

I was topping up water and washing the boat.

A cheerful chappy from CaRT came up, introduced himself and explained he was the bloke responsible for cleaning & maintaining the Elsans and Toilets along that length of canal. He went on to say what a great job it was driving out every day from Manchester through some lovely countryside, chatting to some lovely people (us!). He did have a moan about the bloke who had just emptied a cassette into the Elsan before he came to clean. Said the smell was unbelievable and he had to "leave it a minute or two" before doing his job.

There's nice guys and nasty guys out there. Fortunately the vast majority are nice guys.

Good post and a reminder about what a good job these folk do. The sani. stations on our patch are kept spotless' OK they may need a coat of paint but they are kept very clean...

Hats off to'em.

Edited by The Dog House

Do you really think some people don't do it?

I'm sure some do but that isn't the issue on this thread.

Having seen folk on a nice shiny boat spray the floor, walls and ceiling of Cropredy sanitary station with their SPO, then just walk away to leave a poor BW bloke to mop it up I think this warrants a thread to itself.

Like Simon says above there's nice guys and nasty guys out there but a nasty guy with a SPO hose can make a lot more mess than a nasty guy with a 20 litre cassette.

(The "coming across badly" comment was an attempt at non-conformist humour, btw, no real harm intended)

I'm sure some do but that isn't the issue on this thread.

Having seen folk on a nice shiny boat spray the floor, walls and ceiling of Cropredy sanitary station with their SPO, then just walk away to leave a poor BW bloke to mop it up I think this warrants a thread to itself.

Like Simon says above there's nice guys and nasty guys out there but a nasty guy with a SPO hose can make a lot more mess than a nasty guy with a 20 litre cassette.

(The "coming across badly" comment was an attempt at non-conformist humour, btw, no real harm intended)

Threads about shit normally do tend to wander somewhat.

I don't think they should be banned. I think they should be encouraged by having C&RT adapting suitable sanitary stations by adapting them to fit the most common self pump out fitting. That way they could charge appropriately. I'd pay.

• 8 months later...

We watched a boat arrive outside the elsan point.

We smelled them.

We saw them rolling up their self pumpout hose and making a quick getaway.

If you have a white boat with the names beginning with Ev.....Sta......I'd like to show you what you left for us who arrived to empty our elsan later.

Many Thanks.

outside.JPG

inside.JPG

NEVER USE A SELF PUMPOUT INTO AN ELSAN

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is that curry on the floor help.gif

As more and more folks downsize and seek to live on rivers and canals, I feel that black waste disposal is now becoming a serious issue. It's not just a few peeps dumping their poo in the cut - It's a LOT. Long lines of authorised permie moorings with no obvious place for folks to empty their elsans or pumpouts. Long lines of "CCers" miles away from any facilities.

but there is an ever increasing influx of people flooding onto our canals and rivers solely for a perceived reduction in the cost of living. They care not for genuine cruising, nor do the have any affinity for the waterways as such. Coming from an urban environment they don't understand that there may be health hazards in dumping their output into the cut or the hedgerow.

Wow. Thats a wide brush and large bucket of tar you have.

First you suggest anyone cruising in a popular area or with an online mooring dumps their crap in the cut and then go on to assert that anyone from a city is incapable of understanding the health implications of raw sewage.

I find that astounding.

I have been self-pumping for about 5 years. I have only ever once made a mess, but because I keep checking my hose is secure in the Elsan it was only a small spill which I cleaned up before I left. I only ever P/O into an elsan on a main sewer, never into a tank. If I am not sure then I phone CRT and ask. Yet some people want to ban me from using a pumpout.

Our Elsan at Thrupp is very beautiful as elsans go, but I still never understand how people emptying a porta potti can manage to splash sh*t 6 feet up the piggin' wall and, even though a brush is provided, never clean up after.

So can we stop popping at Self P/Os. Some of the porta potti brigade are the most disgusting people I have ever come across traipsing their leaking boxes of sh*t across other peoples boats while the water tank is open.

Given that thousands of people are killed on the roads every year I have to wonder why pump outs should be banned and not motor cars.

Job done, so to speak.

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 2

Given that thousands of people are killed on the roads every year I have to wonder why pump outs should be banned and not motor cars.

Because cars are regarded as essential to modern day life but SPOs are not.

Some of the porta potti brigade are the most disgusting people I have ever come across

A disgusting person with an SPO can do a lot more damage than a disgusting person with a porta potti.

Job done, so to speak

• Greenie 1

We have self pump out facilities and have used them quite a lot at base. But we tend to pump out to 20ltr canisters whilst on the marina and then empty them properly into our elsan. we must be tidy because the marina owner encourages us to use the facility.

When travelling we use a small 10ltr canister and then take it to the elsan if we are caught out. otherwise we just pay for it to be done

Frankly the toilet emptying habits of a lot of cassette users leaves a lot to be desired too.

Because cars are regarded as essential to modern day life but SPOs are not.

A disgusting person with an SPO can do a lot more damage than a disgusting person with a porta potti.

Job done, so to speak

Erm sorry it is essential to my life, a motor car isn't!

Given that people now do use self P/Os it seems odd that CRT have removed the connection socket that used to be at Thrupp.