Self Pumpouts should be banned

DeanS

Featured Posts

If being the operative word. My point was that there isn't enough force in the movement of a boat on a canal to break up solid waste. Mind you, I suppose to some extent it depends on the consistency of the waste going into the tank in the first place!

The normal movement of a canal boat must be enough to break up solid waste or else it wouldn't be able to go through the pump out pipe. The diameter of the pump out hose is quite small and if you ever look at the little inspection window in the hose while the pump out is in action you will see that it is slurry which goes sailing past. If the lumps didn't break up you would end up with a tank full of lumps and that just doesn't happen. We don't usually use any "agent" in our loo tank so the only thing breaking up the lumps is moevement. Neither the pimp out loo nor the cassette loo smell :-)

haggis

erm...................................why on God's green earth would you want to do that ????????

I don't make a point of looking but when the pump out is being done, I will be standing beside the boat and the hose and inspection window will be lying on the ground not too far away and I may glance at it from time to time. Also, we need to know when the pump out is nearly done so that water can be put down the loo - (from pails or a hose) to rinse it before pumping it all out again. Dean, there is a wonderful world out there full of amazing things and when you took the decision to have a casette loo, look what you missed :-)

haggis

When faced with the choice of seing stuff from the loo through a little inspection window or seeing it in the flesh as it emerges from a cassette, I know what I prefer :-) . With the pump out, I have a choice of whether to look or not but with a cassette, you really have to watch all the time to make sure that everything goes where it should and nothing gets spilled. I haven't yet mastered the art of emptying a cassette with my eyes closed. :-)

haggis

Edited by haggis

An update on this blocked elsan point. A few days ago...before the bank weekend, I left Castlefield...and cruised down towards Worsley. I've come back to Castlefield after about a week, and lo and behold the elsan is still blocked. I decided to take the bull by the horns, and found an old hose pipe...shoved it down the stanky elsan, and turned on the tap full....AND HOORAY, IT UNBLOCKED IT. ....proving that the original boaters who caused it, could have done the same. I gave the whole area a good wash, and hopefully it'll stay like that for a while. Yes, I'm blowing my own trumpet smile.png

You're a brave man!

Well done Dean -

Now that Sir, is the big society in action! Cameron would be proud of you.

Seriously - I think you've done a great thing and I have no doubt that many boaters will be grateful to you.

How come CRT didn't deal with it in exactly the same way you did?

Indeed, it does make one wonder why - especially when considering it may well affect the proceedings of certain cyclists or runners etc. The odd bit of plop making it's way on to the towpath and all that.

Yes, CaRT would most definately have cleaned it all up. . . . .oh yes.. rolleyes.gif

That is not my point at all - CRT get enough stick on here for things they do or don't do, they don't need to be held responsible for things that are not their fault or responsibility.

It's not on CRT waters, but yes, your point is valid if targeted at the right organisation (Peel). They may not been made aware. It's on an island, and only accessed by boaters.

and if you ever look at the little inspection window in the hose while the pump out is in action you will see that it is slurry which goes sailing past.

erm...................................why on God's green earth would you want to do that ????????

you know when it is empty because you can check all the dinners going past........

....no, not seen the sweetcorn yet....

An update on this blocked elsan point. A few days ago...before the bank weekend, I left Castlefield...and cruised down towards Worsley. I've come back to Castlefield after about a week, and lo and behold the elsan is still blocked. I decided to take the bull by the horns, and found an old hose pipe...shoved it down the stanky elsan, and turned on the tap full....AND HOORAY, IT UNBLOCKED IT. ....proving that the original boaters who caused it, could have done the same. I gave the whole area a good wash, and hopefully it'll stay like that for a while. Yes, I'm blowing my own trumpet :)

I may be wrong but I'd be surprised if a pump out can block it. Ours is gravy when it comes out. It may have been a few lumps from a cassette that had blocked it in the first place and then the pumpout couldn't flow. Maybe. Just saying. Tongue in cheek, sort of.