Overtaking

Rufford

Featured Posts

On the contrary, I'm simply reinforcing what's been said previously, not only by me but other boaters in our locality. I'm not looking down upon Share Boaters in general or otherwise, I'm ridiculing the ones local to us that appear to misunderstand the reason for having a tiller on their shared boats!

Neither I or my wife judge boaters by their appearance, whether it be shoddy or shiny, but equally, we don't enjoy being frowned upon by a group of 'boaters' who use the canals sparingly and then with an aloofness otherwise reserved for royalty.

Precisely.

A good analogy would be that of someone owning a time share villa abroad and then frowning upon the people who own their own place outright. It simply doesn't make sense.

I thought,when this offshoot of the original thread started, that you were indulging in light-hearted banter and responded (I hope) in a similar manner. However, it has now got silly, with too many generalisations and oversimplifications. Ridicule, aloofness/royalty and so on! Please lighten up and live and let live.

Howard

(Share Boater)

Edited to spoil Athy's jokecheers.gif

Edited by howardang

I thought,when this offshoot of the original thread started, that you were indulging in light-hearted banter and responded (I hope) in a similar manner. However, it has now got silly, with too many generalisations and oversimplifications. Ridicule, aloofness/royalty and so on! Please lighten up and live and let live.

Howard

(Share Boater)

Edited to spoil Athy's jokecheers.gif

Agreed. There are good and bad amongst all types of boaters. Until recently we had a share in a boat based at Overwater (which hasn't got a bow thruster btw)!

And for 7 months while the share was for sale we were both boat sharers and had our own boat. IMO most boat sharers have previously hired on more than one occasion and as a result are usually quite proficient.

I also agree with the comment that most boat sharers rather than looking down on owners they would be quite envious (as I was). Perhaps Doorman just happens to have come across a few moronic ones which of course do exist, (as is the case with owners and hirers) and is just generalising. But on the whole I think boat sharers are sound folk and very competent boaters. Just as in all aspects of life it takes all sorts as they say.

Howard

(Share Boater)

Edited to spoil Athy's joke:cheers:

Spoilsport! :-)

Yes Howard, our posts do generally start off as light hearted banter and sometimes degenerate to ridicule, but, as in this particular case for those with over zealous bow thruster buttons, if the cap fits, wear it.

Agreed. There are good and bad amongst all types of boaters. Until recently we had a share in a boat based at Overwater (which hasn't got a bow thruster btw)!

And for 7 months while the share was for sale we were both boat sharers and had our own boat. IMO most boat sharers have previously hired on more than one occasion and as a result are usually quite proficient.

I also agree with the comment that most boat sharers rather than looking down on owners they would be quite envious (as I was). Perhaps Doorman just happens to have come across a few moronic ones which of course do exist, (as is the case with owners and hirers) and is just generalising. But on the whole I think boat sharers are sound folk and very competent boaters. Just as in all aspects of life it takes all sorts as they say.

Oh we have met our fair share of moronic ones as well. Like the last lot who insisted on slowly doing their change over on the Burton Waters fuel berth on a busy Saturday when every man and their dog wanted fuel!

As others have regaled us with their experiences, here is our latest.

On the Bridgewater travelling faster than our normal speed, a day boat caught us up so I thought I am no rush, I will let him pass.

He slowed to tickover and dropped back, this happened a few times, then he was 6 ft. from my stern so I said do you want to go through.

The crew at the front said yes, they then relayed this to the steerer, he lent down to adjust speed and promptly did a 90° left into the bank, nearly emptying the crew on to the towpath.

We carried on under the next bridge and decide to moor, they came and moored behind us (two boat lengths back) and went to the pub.

Excellent! :)

We filled up at Tescos on the Thames just before the K&A turn-off and enjoyed the sight of two "yoghurt pots" belting it out in a quest to get in front. They appeared to be hammering it ever since they'd left the Thames lock and we even got the occasional burst of screaming accompanied by a complete lack of any awareness from the other boat apart from the occasional beep from the horn .....deep joy :)

Sat behind an extremely slow boat yesterday, travelling from Braunston to the winding hole south of Rugby. He was going so slowly I had to go into neutral on several occasions. He knew we were there, knew we wanted to overtake and had lots of opportunities to let us do so without any inconvenience to him at all. But he didn't/wouldn't. Hope he felt big and clever.

We were once followed by a chap in a GRP cruiser. We were making good time without creating any waves but this bloke obviously wanted to pass given that his bow was almost touching our rear fenders. I gestured to him to pass on several occasions but for some reason he declined.

That is until we approached a winding hole where we wanted to wind the boat and I indicated that I was about to make my turn, only then did he push on to overtake us, near colliding with the side of our boat in the process. Is it me........?

On another occasion I was beckoned to pass a boat along a pound full of moored craft. As I made my move to go past, the guy pushed his throttle forward! I then had the wrath of the moored boaters hurled upon me for going too fast. It was only when we edged further along did I realise what this character was up to. It was at the Slipway Pub on the L&L where the notoriously hard to handle swing bridge used to be. The smart a*se wanted me to do the dirty work whilst he enjoyed the ride.

The post implies that they may also be using excessive speed if the "slow" boat was doing 3 -4 mph

When people say that they were doing X miles per hour, I always have to ask "were you? How do you know what speed you were doing?"

Most people have no clear idea of what their speed is and say "1-2 mph" when they actually mean "slower than normal" and "3-4 mph" when they mean "normal speed, but I'm not a speed freak"

When people say that they were doing X miles per hour, I always have to ask "were you? How do you know what speed you were doing?"

Most people have no clear idea of what their speed is and say "1-2 mph" when they actually mean "slower than normal" and "3-4 mph" when they mean "normal speed, but I'm not a speed freak"

We usually find the tri data and the GPS log on the chart plotter helpfulwink.png

One tells speed through water the other speed over ground so we can also tell how strong a tide or flow we have with or against us.

Whilst GPS on the face of it is not really accurate enough for position deltas at low speeds, as long as you have an app that damps and averages the results, I believe you can get a very good indication when travelling at a constant speed for a few mins (to let it get a good running average). I feel comfortable that one decimal place (in MPH) accuracy at constant speed is believable, but perhaps that it is just me that believes that.

From the BCN Challenge, my speeds indicated by GPS have tied in well against the time measurements between junctions, with the distance between junctions measured from Google Earth (I don't think the canalplan distances are that accurate sometimes).

Of course what really humoured me was that the chap was moored up at Rugeley visitor moorings not even a mile down the canal, so just what was he in a rush for?

It may be that your perception of your own speed was incorrect.

It is not unknown for people to perceive that they are doing "3-4 mph", when in fact they are going far more slowly. I'm sure that you were going faster than your slowest possible speed, but it is possible that the following boat was finding it difficult to go that slowly.

Following a boat that goes very slowly even at cruising speed, having to drop into neutral and having to make more effort to steer can be very wearing, and as such he may well have wanted to get away from that.

Equally, he may have wanted to race you for the moorings.

It may be that your perception of your own speed was incorrect.

It is not unknown for people to perceive that they are doing "3-4 mph", when in fact they are going far more slowly. I'm sure that you were going faster than your slowest possible speed, but it is possible that the following boat was finding it difficult to go that slowly.

Following a boat that goes very slowly even at cruising speed, having to drop into neutral and having to make more effort to steer can be very wearing, and as such he may well have wanted to get away from that.

Equally, he may have wanted to race you for the moorings.

OR, he may have an oversized engine and be incapable of going slowly while in gear.

Tim

Rather simple, it was a shiney boat tongue.png

Nah in all honesty, it may well have not been a shareboat - it could have been privately owned (and lovingly stored in a marina most of the year), however the basic premesis still remains the same - if you are in a rush, what are you doing on the canal?

I have no issues with people over taking on a safe and straight bit of canal, however not when there is a blind bend or moored boats, and a bit of understanding that older boats take more water and as such will be rather slow in shallow water and quicker than most in deep water would be nice. But Im guessing im just asking too much for people who enjoy the waterways to take an interest in the history of the waterways!

Of course what really humoured me was that the chap was moored up at Rugeley visitor moorings not even a mile down the canal, so just what was he in a rush for?

This morning I had the opposite problem. For three hours I followed shared boat Twelfth of Never, making it increasingly obvious that I wished to cruise at a faster pace than he was going. Doubly frustrating was his habit of slowing down to tickover for every bridgehole, then speeding back up to a cruising speed evn less than before. When he eventually stopped for water at Fradley, I tried very politely to suggest that he might like to allow someone to pass if it was clear he was travelling more slowly. I am trying to get home asap to deal with a family problem, so I am not someone who just happens to be in a hurry. I didnt get far with him - his tirade ended with 'why should I slow down just because you want to go faster?'

This morning I had the opposite problem. For three hours I followed shared boat Twelfth of Never, making it increasingly obvious that I wished to cruise at a faster pace than he was going. Doubly frustrating was his habit of slowing down to tickover for every bridgehole, then speeding back up to a cruising speed evn less than before. When he eventually stopped for water at Fradley, I tried very politely to suggest that he might like to allow someone to pass if it was clear he was travelling more slowly. I am trying to get home asap to deal with a family problem, so I am not someone who just happens to be in a hurry. I didnt get far with him - his tirade ended with 'why should I slow down just because you want to go faster?'

Being deep drafted we always kick into neutral going through bridgholes but I am always happy to let boats past but if the canal is shallow it can be difficult. I was once on the Leicester top sectionasked why we didn't we didn't tie up so that the boat could pass.

Maybe you should try the technique favoured by American cops - pull up so that there is just a slight overlap, then nudge his stern sideways with your bow, and whilst he is reversing himself out of the bushes you can get past!

But anyway, hopefully he was one of those guys whose life is blighted by an inability to lose face gracefully. Maybe he will ponder what you said and act differently next time, just dont expect him to admit it!

Edited by nicknorman

The man is quite clearly a selfish twat

Nuff said

The man is quite clearly a selfish twat

Nuff said

Don't hold back Bazza, tell it how it is!

Pigs are quite clever

We have a couple of friends who live a blissful life over in France on their small holding. They keep two pigs each year whom they name Parsley & Sage. When fat enough they take them down to the local butcher who returns them as gammon slices etc.,

If they were that clever they'd bugger off before it's time for a ride in Alan's car!

Maybe you should try the technique favoured by American cops - pull up so that there is just a slight overlap, then nudge his stern sideways with your bow, and whilst he is reversing himself out of the bushes you can get past!

Blimey!

You Hudson owners are quite novel with ideas like that. Knowing my luck he'd probably catch me up at the next lock and give me a jolly good telling off!

Edited by Doorman

Naughty Cal, on 05 Sept 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:Naughty Cal, on 05 Sept 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

Maybe they like a car ride clapping.gif

That's quite possible. I must say though, Alan always insists that they wear a seat belt for their own safety!

Poor little pigs!

Edited by Doorman