Shopping trolleys damage boat In Kidderminster

Puckle

Featured Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if we could hold KFC/McDonalds et al for the mess their takeaway containers make when left by <>!£$%?{:.

Bob

When I worked in Switzerland in the early 90's the Swiss were doing just that to "Rotten Rons" (McDonalds) and a few other fast mush food outlets

When we passed, there was warning tape for the area concerned. Whether this was put on after the boat got damaged, or not, I don't know. I guess all the supermarket can do is phone CRT's emergency number and tell them there's a 'blockage', they probably don't keep warning tape/barriers etc for the purpose. I didn't spot if it was "CRT aware" tape or just normal yellow stripey stuff.

Hi all

An unfortunate incident, certainly, but I'm a little surprised that the rudder was damaged....they are usually robust beasts, tho' I'll confess to bending the rudder stock on Resolute when grazing an underwater shelf that I didn't know was there years ago. I'd have thought that the prop would have won too! Wouldn't the bows have been the first point of contact? Does anyone have more info as to the details of this case.....In a long boating time, I've not heard of this sort of thing happening before. Dunno...

Dave

Hi all

An unfortunate incident, certainly, but I'm a little surprised that the rudder was damaged....they are usually robust beasts, tho' I'll confess to bending the rudder stock on Resolute when grazing an underwater shelf that I didn't know was there years ago. I'd have thought that the prop would have won too! Wouldn't the bows have been the first point of contact? Does anyone have more info as to the details of this case.....In a long boating time, I've not heard of this sort of thing happening before. Dunno...

Dave

But I'm not sure it matters does it?

The boat was damaged, and Sainsbury's have agreed to pay. I think I'd call that a result.

There could be any number of ways that a steel cage mixing with a prop and rudder could cause damage to both the prop and the rudder, surely?

When we passed, there was warning tape for the area concerned. Whether this was put on after the boat got damaged, or not, I don't know. I guess all the supermarket can do is phone CRT's emergency number and tell them there's a 'blockage', they probably don't keep warning tape/barriers etc for the purpose. I didn't spot if it was "CRT aware" tape or just normal yellow stripey stuff.

They may not have tape, but they could pull them out

Hi all

Dave

When we passed it looked like a prime spot you'd moor in, so its possible they slowed just brushing past the trolleys, but used some reverse and reversed right over them. It might be that the rudder wasn't damaged, but popped out?

the ppor guy form trolley wise was struggling to get the trolleys out so not sure the supermarket could have pulled them out any easier.

You employ 2,3,4 or however many strong men that are needed to do the job. IWA volunteers manage it OK. They are their trolleys, its their responsibility to get them out of the cut.

the ppor guy form trolley wise was struggling to get the trolleys out so not sure the supermarket could have pulled them out any easier.

I suspect the supermarket could have summoned more muscle than one man - if they had the will to sort the problem quickly.

When going down to Watford recently we stuck fast for about an hour at the wooden 'Waitrose' bridge in Berkol. As I had the 'Sage of Tring' with me, he told me that this was a common occurance and had apparently counted 14(?) in at one time. It is though not the local yoof who were perceived as responsible but the posh boys from Berko School. As one who use to live in Berko for a short while I was surprised at the seemingly crap place it was. I am not surprised by Kiddy however, another place with seriously crap 'developments' alongside the waterways and a serious problem with yoof, they are all a strange colour for a start - grey.

Surely better to invest a bit to stop them getting nicked.

This problem has reduced considerably since both Tesco and Sainsbury started chaining their trolleys up, you have to insert a pound coin or a token to release one and then you chain it up again when you've unloaded to your car.

If I recall correctly, Tesco's also have wheel locks which trip if you cross a red painted line and try to take the trolley beyond the car park, while Sainsbury's have metal plates at the access points from car park to towpath into which the wheels engage so you can't push the trolley across (and which is a PITA when you actually want to off-load directly to the boat).

However, the problem hasn't completely gone away because yoofs can insert tokens too or carry unchained trolleys across any obstacle, I try to keep the boat well away from the sides in that area, and if we want to moor outside a supermarket I always approach with caution and cut the engine well before we touch.

• 5 months later...

A NB had it prop and rudder damage on Wednesday on the Staff & Worc after a whole string of shopping trolleys were thrown in the canal next to Sainsbury's in Kidderminster. Apparently the store knew about it the night before and done nothing about it. But the good news is they have offered to pay for the damage to the NB

I am pretty certain that this was our boat and the incident happened outside Tesco not Sainsburys on Wednesday 7th August 2013.

We ran into a chain of brand new Tesco trolleys, probably about 12 of them still linked together with their security teether locked in place. They were well out in the canal. We came round the bend at least a boat's width from the moored boats, roughly in the middle of the canal. The impact jolted the tiller post out of its housing, bent the rudder and damaged the prop. We lost our steering completely. Fortunately we were not going fast and there was nothing coming the other way or there would have been a collision. All in all around £2000 worth of damage.

There is much documentary evidence that Tesco have been aware of the problem for years. A security barrier across the ramp to the canal path from the car park would have stopped this train of trolleys, whilst allowing wheel chair and pram access.

The men from the Staffs and Worcs Canal and River Trust could not lift the trolleys out because they were too heavy. In the end it was agreed (with the Tesco store managers) that it was Tescos responsibility and they would hire a crane to clear the obstruction. Unfortunately Tesco head office have not been so forthcoming in coughing up for the damage caused. We are now in the process of recovering the money from Tesco and for now we have to leave this in the hands of our lawyers.

We would be interested if anyone has any information that might help. There were several people who witnessed the incident and others who came along afterwards and said Tesco's were aware of the trolley's being dumped in the canal but took no action.

I am pretty certain that this was our boat and the incident happened outside Tesco not Sainsburys on Wednesday 7th August 2013.

We ran into a chain of brand new Tesco trolleys, probably about 12 of them still linked together with their security teether locked in place. They were well out in the canal. We came round the bend at least a boat's width from the moored boats, roughly in the middle of the canal. The impact jolted the tiller post out of its housing, bent the rudder and damaged the prop. We lost our steering completely. Fortunately we were not going fast and there was nothing coming the other way or there would have been a collision. All in all around £2000 worth of damage.

There is much documentary evidence that Tesco have been aware of the problem for years. A security barrier across the ramp to the canal path from the car park would have stopped this train of trolleys, whilst allowing wheel chair and pram access.

The men from the Staffs and Worcs Canal and River Trust could not lift the trolleys out because they were too heavy. In the end it was agreed (with the Tesco store managers) that it was Tescos responsibility and they would hire a crane to clear the obstruction. Unfortunately Tesco head office have not been so forthcoming in coughing up for the damage caused. We are now in the process of recovering the money from Tesco and for now we have to leave this in the hands of our lawyers.

We would be interested if anyone has any information that might help. There were several people who witnessed the incident and others who came along afterwards and said Tesco's were aware of the trolley's being dumped in the canal but took no action.

I have had similar issues with Tesco Stalybridge in the past.

They refuse to accept that they are responsible for their trollies.

Interesting point. With your goods, would you of been responsible if someone tripped over them and hurt themselves?

They're your goods, so you might (and I stress 'might') owe a duty of care to anyone they come into contact with.

Having said that, I think you could have a very good argument that it was not reasonably foreseeable that those goods would be stolen and dumped wherever they ended up, so the chances of you being liable for somebody tripping over them is low to nonexistent.

Proving liability for tort (negligence) isn't as easy as the ambulance-chasers make it sound. Of course that doesn't stop them trying it on, and in a lot of cases it's cheaper for an insurance company to pay out (with or without an admission of liability, normally without) than it is to fight anything other than a very large claim.

A few weeks ago I tried to moor outside Tesco's at Kidderminster, only to find a number of trolleys lining the edge of the canal. I reported them to the service desk who seemed particularly unconcerned. A friend of mine passed the same way recently and confirmed they are still there.

A few weeks ago I tried to moor outside Tesco's at Kidderminster, only to find a number of trolleys lining the edge of the canal. I reported them to the service desk who seemed particularly unconcerned. A friend of mine passed the same way recently and confirmed they are still there.

Pull them out and wheel them back into the store, leaving them at the Customer Service Desk.

Good luck to 'Trolleywise'! A few years back when I had a small van I thought I might make some pin-money by returning abandoned trolleys to supermarkets. They were more likely to prosecute me for stealing them than to pay me a small fee (£10?) for returning them.

Supermarkets lose huge amounts of money from shop-lifting and pilferage; a dozen £100 trollies are a drop in the ocean.

Back when Sunday trading was illegal a new hypermarket lost £20K on their Sunday Open-Day when nothing was for sale.

More recently, similar fines did not deter them.

I am not against Sunday trading, just giving examples that indicate that a £2K loss/liability is small-beer to a Supermarket.

I hope Coastie Chris gets appropriate recompense! I, for one, will not shop in Tesco until he does!

Alan

• 2 weeks later...