Constant Cruising

pedronasty

Featured Posts

I know, that's the really sad thing - boaters seem happy to be triple berthed in a depressing part of town where there are indecent assaults on the towpath and no boater services, when just a few hours away, you can be in beautiful countryside, freshwater lake to swim in, supermarket and train station 10 minutes away, I will never understand it. Why buy a boat that enables you to moor in beautiful places where you could never ever afford to live, yet choose to remain in the roughest, noisiest part of central London?

I've moored at Long Buckby and commuted to meetings in Twickenham a few summers ago.

And the lower Lee (two locks below my mooring), at the moment is basically an open sewer, it stinks and there are dead fish everywhere.

Another virtual greenie from me for some excellent points Lady M.

As a city dweller I don't have some thoughts on this post though:

1. Everyone finds beauty/interest in different things - I love cruising through derelict industrial landscapes, I find it fascinating.

2. Being in the city affords better opportunities to reduce your carbon footprint through less communting. I have a 15 minute communte to work now by car and it irks me somewhat (I need to use my car for work). My previous two jobs had a 5 minute walk and a 10 minutes cycle respectively. For some people this is an important priority.

3. I still get to leave the city when I want to. I'm off up the Birmingham and Fazeley this weekend for example and will probably swim in one of the lovely freshwater lakes in Kingsbury water park.

4. I absolutely love the vibrancy of the city. There's always things going on and new experiences to dive into.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the canals of Birmingham, I love industrial architecture and I do often get wound up when I read boater blogs where it's obvious that they dislike anywhere that doesn't look like a picture postcard village.

I just don't understand the reluctance to actually boat, especially if it means you might end up somewhere beautiful. Especially at the moment when the Lee is so stinky.

I just don't understand the reluctance to actually boat, especially if it means you might end up somewhere beautiful. Especially at the moment when the Lee is so stinky.

There is a category of boater who bought a boat to live on (sometimes as a result of getting into financial difficulties) having sold their house to realise their capital after the last housing boom. They bought a boat as a substitute for a house, often thinking it would be a cheap way of living. I notice that people who view their boat as a surrogate house often have no interest in moving other than to the water point or pump out and back again, and are often very sociable people who prefer to stay put in their community of local liveaboards.

Might this be the type of boater whose mindset you are struggling to understand? Moving to a beautiful spot in the countryside means moving away from your friends and neighbours.

MtB

There is a category of boater who bought a boat to live on (sometimes as a result of getting into financial difficulties) having sold their house to realise their capital after the last housing boom. They bought a boat as a substitute for a house, often thinking it would be a cheap way of living. I notice that people who view their boat as a surrogate house often have no interest in moving other than to the water point or pump out and back again, and are often very sociable people who prefer to stay put in their community of local liveaboards.

Might this be the type of boater whose mindset you are struggling to understand? Moving to a beautiful spot in the countryside means moving away from your friends and neighbours.

MtB

Spot on

My son commutes from Birmingham to London takes him 1 1/2 hours door to door down side his season ticket costs £8,000 He hated living in London he was paying £1,500 per month for a very small 1 bedroom flat

A very well thought out and presented series of posts.

Canals were just not designed for miles and miles of moored boats.

The infrastructure (water points, refuse and waste water disposal) is not designed for that type of use.

I have sympathy for folks who couldn't possibly raise the money for a flat or house and turn to the waterways as an alternative. To my mind it's a time bomb waiting for a big (relatively) bang.

Time was when folks living aboard did so because they had affinity for that sort of environment - and accordingly took care not to damage it. Now it's seen as a cost effective form of accommodation and people care less for managing their surroundings. That's someone else's job, innit?

Something's got to give, somewhere - a pollution incident, perhaps. Draconian legislation? Collapse of the canal system?

It could take several years to resolve and end up being very unpleasant for all boaters.

I can't think of any PRACTICAL solution; ideas anyone?

I have some bad news for you. I was talking to CRT today they estimate there are now 6,500 boats without a home mooring, this figure is growing by about 100 per month the majority in the South.

Well it seems I really started a discussion going!

I expected to come back and find a solitary post telling me to "&*! off.

Firstly thank you all for your opinions, harsh or not! They are useful to me. I really want to get a handle on this before jumping into anything prematurely.

Maybe a description of what I am after and why would help...

I've lived in London for over ten years now and I love it, it is home for me. Being away from it is fine but I always want to be back. When I'm not working I still want to be in London, I love the countryside and going there occasionally would be great but I don't want to be leaving the place I love everytime I'm not working. I'm here not because I work here but because it's great.

I am looking at it as an alternative to a 'normal' property. I'm 35 and frankly tired of living with other people, which is all I can afford. Even if I had the cash I doubt I'd be looking to buy a flat anyway, the build quality is rubbish nowadays, who wants to live somewhere with all the charm of a budget hotel and pay handsomely for the privilege. I know boating would be difficult but for me maybe just a different difficult from the usual way people live in this city.

I'd happily live on a mooring but from what I have seen, and I could be wrong like I say I am new, they are few and far between and f you buy a boat on a mooring you are paying a premium for it. I saw a boat in Hampton on a mooring and in my price range and did consider buying it and then coming closer to town and mooring there when I was working but again I like being in London and being single living alone in Hampton would be a rather solitary experience. I know a lot of Constant cruisers seem to be doing it to save on mooring costs, I wouldn't be I'd be happy to pay them. So if I am missing a trick here please someone let me know. I'd happily take a loan out but there now only seems to be one company doing loans and the interest on them is pretty high. Remember I can only afford a room in a house/flat not one to myself and if I had a partner buying a boat on a mooring would be a much more likely prospect.

And paying Council tax, weird I know but yes I want to pay it, it's just a belief of mine to pay for things you use, crazy I know. I get quickly annoyed by those who see the taxman as the enemy but complain about the state of our services you can't have it both ways!

So that's why I want a boat and why I was thinking of doing it the constant cruising way, I'm not trying to abuse a system just get a place of my own, all be it a constantly moving one. I can understand with so many people doing it at the moment why others who have been on the scene for a while might get riled, but you were all new to this once too!

So any advise on mooring then?

And lastly don't be so mean to Winson Green, my mum was born there!

I know a lot of Constant cruisers seem to be doing it to save on mooring costs, I wouldn't be I'd be happy to pay them.

Welcome back!

Bear in mind that continuous cruisers who abide by the rules spend just as much on diesel as they save on mooring fees. It's the rule-bending freeloaders we now have to call "Non-Compliant Continuous Cruisers" who save money by rarely or never moving.

Can't help with a mooring though, other than by suggesting a marina or looking on the CRT moorings site. There is one residential London mooring on there now IIRC.

MtB

My son commutes from Birmingham to London takes him 1 1/2 hours door to door down side his season ticket costs £8,000 He hated living in London he was paying £1,500 per month for a very small 1 bedroom flat

I have some bad news for you. I was talking to CRT today they estimate there are now 6,500 boats without a home mooring, this figure is growing by about 100 per month the majority in the South.

I'm obliged, M'lud.

Bad news in that it's a significant number - 15% ?

Good news in that something will have to happen else the canals will become a no go area and lose public support.

I'm obliged, M'lud.

Bad news in that it's a significant number - 15% ?

Good news in that something will have to happen else the canals will become a no go area and lose public support.

Do CRT have the right to limit numbers of CC licenses issued? This has to be the next step.

If they don't have the right, I bet they'll be petitioning for it soon in the light of this unsustainable rate of increase.

I would imagine the 100 a month rise in CCers is matched my 100 a month moorings becoming vacant. It seems unlikely that new boats are being launched at anything like 100 a month.

MtB

Do CRT have the right to limit numbers of CC licenses issued? This has to be the next step.

If they don't have the right, I bet they'll be petitioning for it soon in the light of this unsustainable rate of increase.

I would imagine the 100 a month rise in CCers is matched my 100 a month moorings becoming vacant. It seems unlikely that new boats are being launched at anything like 100 a month.

MtB

It is mainly people coming out of marinas and off moorings the problem is most are not declaring themselves as CCer until CRT catch up with them

Well it seems I really started a discussion going!

I expected to come back and find a solitary post telling me to "&*! off.

Firstly thank you all for your opinions, harsh or not! They are useful to me. I really want to get a handle on this before jumping into anything prematurely.

Maybe a description of what I am after and why would help...

I've lived in London for over ten years now and I love it, it is home for me. Being away from it is fine but I always want to be back. When I'm not working I still want to be in London, I love the countryside and going there occasionally would be great but I don't want to be leaving the place I love everytime I'm not working. I'm here not because I work here but because it's great.

I am looking at it as an alternative to a 'normal' property. I'm 35 and frankly tired of living with other people, which is all I can afford. Even if I had the cash I doubt I'd be looking to buy a flat anyway, the build quality is rubbish nowadays, who wants to live somewhere with all the charm of a budget hotel and pay handsomely for the privilege. I know boating would be difficult but for me maybe just a different difficult from the usual way people live in this city.

I'd happily live on a mooring but from what I have seen, and I could be wrong like I say I am new, they are few and far between and f you buy a boat on a mooring you are paying a premium for it. I saw a boat in Hampton on a mooring and in my price range and did consider buying it and then coming closer to town and mooring there when I was working but again I like being in London and being single living alone in Hampton would be a rather solitary experience. I know a lot of Constant cruisers seem to be doing it to save on mooring costs, I wouldn't be I'd be happy to pay them. So if I am missing a trick here please someone let me know. I'd happily take a loan out but there now only seems to be one company doing loans and the interest on them is pretty high. Remember I can only afford a room in a house/flat not one to myself and if I had a partner buying a boat on a mooring would be a much more likely prospect.

And paying Council tax, weird I know but yes I want to pay it, it's just a belief of mine to pay for things you use, crazy I know. I get quickly annoyed by those who see the taxman as the enemy but complain about the state of our services you can't have it both ways!

So that's why I want a boat and why I was thinking of doing it the constant cruising way, I'm not trying to abuse a system just get a place of my own, all be it a constantly moving one. I can understand with so many people doing it at the moment why others who have been on the scene for a while might get riled, but you were all new to this once too!

So any advise on mooring then?

And lastly don't be so mean to Winson Green, my mum was born there!

Hi Pedro,

You're situation is just the same as mine was when I first got my boat. I was in my mid thirties and could only afford a room to rent. The boat option was something i had hankered after for all my adult life but I'd never had the chance to do it. When that chance came, I grabbed it. I suggest you do the same. You will find a way to make it work if you want it enough. I'd make a start by putting your name down on the waiting list of as many mooring sites in London as you can. A friend recently took up a mooring in South Dock in Southwark two days ago so be persistant and you'll find something. There's also Kingsland Basin in Shoreditch and many others. Do some investigating! Also keep looking at the CaRT auction pages. London moorings come up on there quite regularly.

p.s. Winson Green is lovely. We'll not lovely exactly but, erm 'interesting' 'vibrant' etc... ;-) The Black Eagle pub is a particular gem...

MtB

One of the things they are considering is interviewing people about their planned cruising pattern - not issuing a cc license until they've done this.

Dunno what the legalities would be, but 100 noobs per month - me and him indoors were saying that we felt a tipping point had been reached in the past couple of years - maybe it's now even more than two boats a week in London.

We're picking up about ten new members every single week on Facebook and questions like the ones in this thread are really common.

They cannot explicitly set any quota on the number of licences that they issue to people on the basis that they will be engaged in bona fide navigation.

They can, however, choose to be stricter in terms of what they require to be satisfied.

And before the usual suspects start bleating;

Licences are issued either on the basis of "somewhere the boat can be lawfully kept" or "bona fide navigation". My licence is on the basis that I have somewhere the boat can lawfully be kept, and in order to declare that, I have to actually tell them where that place is. If I have to explain where I will keep the boat, it seems reasonable to expect a CCer to provide information about his intention to navigate.

Ultimately, if the intention stated is either not enough or if it involves a cruising pattern that is clearly impossible due to the number of boats already doing the same, or it involves returning to moorings with no return rules, they may well decide that they are not "satisfied"

One of the things they are considering is interviewing people about their planned cruising pattern - not issuing a cc license until they've done this.

Dunno what the legalities would be, but 100 noobs per month - me and him indoors were saying that we felt a tipping point had been reached in the past couple of years - maybe it's now even more than two boats a week in London.

We're picking up about ten new members every single week on Facebook and questions like the ones in this thread are really common.

The problem is that by the time CRT interview them it is to late, they have no home mooring and no chance of getting one. The Greater London number is over 50 per month according to Jenny at Sally Anne.

As on another thread there is a guy looking for a tow/lift to Hackney area , he plans to continuously cruise but the boat currently has no license, insurance or engine I am sure he intends to get all these as soon as he is on the water but by then CRT may have a problem if he doesn't.

I know I can vote online, but what about my credit record if I CC?

It's very healthy and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'll be proper CC, Poste Restante for anything that can't for some archaic reason be sent by email. No fixed address (abode is a bit different, lol)

I know I can vote online, but what about my credit record if I CC?

It's very healthy and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'll be proper CC, Poste Restante for anything that can't for some archaic reason be sent by email. No fixed address (abode is a bit different, lol)

A credit record shows a record of the credit you have, or had, any missed payments and the amounts being talked about. There's 2 styles of summarised information that banks use the credit records for - credit score and credit risk rating. They are not the same. Certain banks' products (ie credit cards) are aimed at certain demographics of customers, eg they may choose a product for a safe, high earning type of person; or a different one for a low credit scoring one. But the address doesn't form part of your credit score. They use other databases such as the electoral roll and GAIN (gone away information network) to know your address and previous addresses, in addition to your filling in the application form (they'll ask how long you've been at that address, and typically previous ones up to something like 3 years).