Slow Cooker Recipes

Ships Cat

Featured Posts

At first when I read belly I thought you were talking about cooking pork.

I don't cook but I do eat and Diana has done whole chicken when we have had guests onboard. Lamb and Pork stakes but not a joint yet.

Lamb shoulder is a good joint for slow cooking. Lamb breast as well.

And here we have Coco Cola Ham

Very nice it was too with plenty left over for sandwiches for the next couple of days.

null_zpsfd9e03cf.jpg

Nom Nom Nom!

When you say Cola, any cola or a famous brand of cola?

Slow cookers are marvelous. I roast pork in mine on a sunday. To stop the meat being soggy I have a re-usable oven chip grid (that you just pop your chips on and they come up crisp so you dont have to cremate them-buy from Poundland) that is folded in 4 and put on the bottom of the pot. It lifts the meat off the bottom and leaves juices for gravy.

I use mine for curry. (chicken thighs x4, diced onion, curry paste to taste, tin of chopped tomatoes. Small amount of added water if leaving to cook unnnatended or if you are about dont add water but 10 mins before serving add cream (no sooner or it curdles). Alternatively use coconut milk instead which can be put in at the start because cocnuts don't go MOOOwink.png !

Oh, and I found a 12v Slow cooker here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadpro-12V-Slow-Cooker-Black/dp/B0013IR88A

and Here: http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/slow-cooker-rpr-c1417-.html

I wonder if anyone has used one?

See i find a drop of water in the bottom with the meat sitting it in makes the meat that little bit jucier than without!

Usuall turn it over half way though cooking.

Yeah. We use a real ale when we cook beer top rump. Makes a nice gravy.

Med style casserole today.

Add a chopped onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, courgette, aubergine, two tins of tomatoes, herbs, garlic and diced beef shin to the pot. Leave on low power all day.

Forgot the picture

null_zpsd2f0a9b7.jpg

We will serve this with a hot garlic baguette.

Lol, it was a typo. Fruit in the bottom of the cooker, syrup if necc, and then quarter-sponge on top ... I do rhubarb and orange, or just rhubarb. Hedgerow fruit great - wild cherries, bullaces, blackberries and apples. Although Rhubarb is a veg, and tomatoes are of course a fruit ...

Nutrients are preserved, apparently. Vit C not, that dies if you look at it, basically but all the others are I believe quite happy with the relatively low temps in a slow cooker.

I've done a bit of research and yes, the older cookers would seem to be the best, I don't think I'd use a 'modern' one on high, it's a bit hot! Low and slow works better for me. Mine was new in 1995 and you can buy them in 2nd hand shops still.

Browning meat first does two things - causes caramelisation of the meat which adds umami flavour, and also warms the meat up. You shouldn't put stuff in cold, add all liquids hot absolutely as a rule. The cookers are so low powered they will take hours just getting up to temp otherwise.

Lamb? Mutton's FAB in the slow cooker. With lentils. And shrooms, both suck up flavour as well as add their own. There is a school of thought that says you should not put mince in a slow cooker because of the huge surface area that could carry bacteria.

I've had three kids and ate runny cheese, runny egg yolks, rare steak and prawns right through both my pregnancies, and if I want to put mince in my slow cooker then I do. I make sure the liquids are hot and we've never been poisoned yet.

I did once do meatballs and spaghetti in mine, you have to chop the spag up into inch long strips, and it all cooks in tomato sauce. Worked well. About four hours on high, depends on how big your meatballs are I suppose. Lasagne does ok too!

I am not sure these are that viable without electric hook up. 7 amps for, say, 8 hours cooking will make quite a dent to the battery capacity.

Cook while you cruise. The Lamb went in when we set off at 9-30am and we ate it when we stopped at 7pm. nothing taken out of the batteries.

I know that sometimes one just wants a full belly. But are there any nutrians what so ever left in there after eight hours of cooking?

Slow cooking. Anyway, it certainly doesn't taste like the nutritional value is lost.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=45

I used mine last spring while I was moving my boat down the K&A to Bristol. It was great to have a good hot meal ready at the end of a long, hard day's cruising on my own. I have a small Argos slow cooker - about a tenner and no battery drain at all while cruising used on the inverter.

Edited by blackrose

Slow cooking. Anyway, it certainly doesn't taste like the nutritional value is lost.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=45

I used mine last spring while I was moving my boat down the K&A to Bristol. It was great to have a good hot meal ready at the end of a long, hard day's cruising on my own. I have a small Argos slow cooker - about a tenner and no battery drain at all while cruising used on the inverter.

Agreed. We use our slow cooker pretty much every weekend.

Especially satisfying on a cold wet winters evening after a long days cruising. Hot shower then hot, delicious meal ready and waiting.

Cook while you cruise. The Lamb went in when we set off at 9-30am and we ate it when we stopped at 7pm. nothing taken out of the batteries.

That is how we use our slow cooker. Excellent device.

Agreed. We use our slow cooker pretty much every weekend.

Especially satisfying on a cold wet winters evening after a long days cruising. Hot shower then hot, delicious meal ready and waiting.

Agreed.

Never seen them over here. Thought they where some kind of naff tv-shop thing. Guess I'll have to send for one.

i thought it was an american thing till the mother in law gave us one that was lying around for years and passed through three different houses.it seems that some swear by them and some dont see tha point

I prefer my pressure cooker, meal cooked in a few minutes, all the goodness locked in, minimal amount of gas required and the meat is always tender and melts in the mouth.

I afres with you on this. Mine is circa 1972. New seal ring every now abd the , check for cracks, no proble. A normal prestige hi top with manual weight no auto bits. Cookz cheek of beef to perfection and quickly.

Would not be without it

Today we are having slow cooked Guinea Fowl. Not tried it before so will let you know later how it goes on.

Have just stuck it in the pot seasoned well with salt and pepper and a pinch of oregano and rosemary. Also out in there some chunky cut sweet potatoes.

Browning meat first does two things - causes caramelisation of the meat which adds umami flavour, and also warms the meat up. You shouldn't put stuff in cold, add all liquids hot absolutely as a rule. The cookers are so low powered they will take hours just getting up to temp otherwise.

I browned the meat when I first got my slow cooker and then I tried not browning the meat and putting it in raw. The result was absolutely no difference so now I don't bother. Less washing up! Also, I always chuck everything into my slow cooker cold without warming it up and as long as it's a small amount of liquid that's fine too.

Today feels like a good slow cooked meal day...

Edited by blackrose

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can buy a 12v slow cooker? and are they any good?

I have seen them, so definitely available, but can't remember where sorry.

Edit found this:

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/index.php?match=all&target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=85&q=slow+cooker&x=-990&y=-51

Edited by Guest