Guerilla Gardening ?

onionbargee

Featured Posts

When his "secret crop" is ready, I know somebody who would like an ounce of it. Does he sell the Rizlas too?

I have a friend who, on his ccing travels, planted a few seeds at every lock flight he encountered in an attempt to be the cannabis equivalent of Johnny Appleseed so it might be worth having a nose round when waiting for the lock to turn.

Years back I heard of some people who planted an illegal crop on private land, in a clearing in woodland. They didn't own the land, it was true guerilla gardening. They checked it out, and decided to come back the next day to harvest their hard work. When they got back the following day someone had got in before them - nothing was left.

What was the crop? Everything I planted took several weeks to be harvestable! :D

I've planted odd individual cuttings or small plants of native types on the bank when I'm thinning out my seedlings or when there are more than I'd bargained for, but not intending to go back for them, just because it seems so wasteful not to, and if they do grow and thrive, someone else may want to pick them!

My mother has a great collection of fruit bushes. I shall be going home to collect a huge lot of cuttings to plant along the canal.

My aim is to plant 50 along the K&A this autumn, hopefully fruiting next year. It would be great if everyone was within walking distance of one or two. If they all get picked quickly (as I anticipate) then I'll plant more the following year. If noone goes for it then I'll just make tons of jam/wine and leave it at that!

I'm also very fond of finding uses for the things that already grow along the canal (nettles, mushrooms, elder).

Im always horribly tempted if I pass corn fields.... do farmers expect those plants closest to the edge to be raided I wonder?...the tall bushy plants look so easy to dash in and grab a few cobs without being seen.

never done it I hasten to add.....

Edited by Chagall

Im always horribly tempted if I pass corn fields.... do farmers expect those plants closest to the edge to be raided I wonder?...the tall bushy plants look so easy to dash in and grab a few cobs without being seen.

Always took a few each year as a child, ate them raw, they were lovely.

Haven't passed any fields of sweetcorn on the canal, but can't say I'd be above taking a couple. Also planning on a bit of apple scrumping this autumn (just windfalls, since it's for cider).

Used to be that farmers expected to lose 10% of their crop to the edges. Allotment holders with a lottie by the fence do too.

I guerilla garden, you'd be surprised what you can get up to with a packet of nasturtium seeds. I covered a patch of dead ground with the contents of a box of perennial seeds you scatter from the box, cost me £1 in the local cheap shop. They've all come up - poppies galore, nigella, stocks, a daisy type, among lots of other things.

There's lots of food out there for free. Richard Maby's written a great book about it. 'Food for free'. Well worth it. Nettles you should pick only the early spring ones, the later ones are too full of urates and may give you kidney stones! Full of iron, w/w more than steak. Nettle soup is wonderful stuff. You can dry the leaves and powder them and mix in with bread dough to up your iron intake, think they do this in Scandinavia.

Jack in the hedge - garlic mustard - is a dark green leaved plant with white flowers. The leaves lovely in ham or beef sandwiches.

You get lots of fruit trees planted at country crossroads, as well as up and down the more ancient motorways (like the A1), originally to feed the itinerant farm workers. There's a medlar out there somewhere up here in Co Durham on the A167.

I think you will find it's maize, not sweetcorn, totally inedible unless made into flour.

I think you will find it's maize, not sweetcorn, totally inedible unless made into flour.

Sweet corn and maize I think you will find are both varieties of Zea mays. However like many cultivated crops different varieties have different characteristics e.g. the amount of sugar.

In reply to the OP: I have heard rumours of a CRT employee who guerrilla gardens (or is planning to) in the flower beds at a site in the East Mids. Potatoes and carrots were mentioned in the conversation IIRC. It seemed like a decent idea, making good use of the overgrown and weed-filled beds.

I won't say who or where though, for fear of being shot at dawn should they find out!

Regards,

Lockie.

Edited by Lockie Junior

most maize you will come across in this country is used for cattle feed. You could boil it until next Christmas and it would still be inedible. It has muti colored brown kernels on it, and is rock hard.

Oh..how disappointing, Id just worked myself up to perhaps snaffling a few and breaking the stricture of a lifetime. I might as well not bother now and preserve my reputation.

Oh..how disappointing, Id just worked myself up to perhaps snaffling a few and breaking the stricture of a lifetime. I might as well not bother now and preserve my reputation.

You have to look around I came across a field of sweet corn 2 years ago

Regards kris

And I wouldnt bother as they are probably being grown for cattle feed and not very nice

most maize you will come across in this country is used for cattle feed. You could boil it until next Christmas and it would still be inedible. It has muti colored brown kernels on it, and is rock hard.

I was talking to a farmer who has a Maze Maize which they will eventually use for cattle feed and she told me if you pick them verry young like mini sweetcorn they are not "too bad"