Renting?

Mario

Featured Posts

Hello all,

Does anyone know if anybody ever rents their barges/narrowboats out to people who want to liveaboard. For example if someone owns a boat but hardly ever uses it; I thought that maybe there might be someone who would rent it perhaps just as a temporary set up. Probably not - but I thought it'd be worth asking.

I'd be looking round the South West - Glouscestershire/Wiltshire/Somerset.

Thanks

M.

Hello all,

Does anyone know if anybody ever rents their barges/narrowboats out to people who want to liveaboard. For example if someone owns a boat but hardly ever uses it; I thought that maybe there might be someone who would rent it perhaps just as a temporary set up. Probably not - but I thought it'd be worth asking.

I'd be looking round the South West - Glouscestershire/Wiltshire/Somerset.

Thanks

M.

People do, but they are nuts to take the risk IMO.

Check this out if you fancy taking a chance http://www.boatrent.co.uk/renallongterm/index.htm

MtB

P.S. by the way I've pigged out on popcorn recently. Anyone got a nice Greek salad?

People do, but they are nuts to take the risk IMO.

Check this out if you fancy taking a chance http://www.boatrent.co.uk/renallongterm/index.htm

MtBP.S. by the way I've pigged out on popcorn recently. Anyone got a nice Greek salad?

Perhaps Pretzels could become the snack of choice for such circumstances.

In fact I may get some in the cupboard in preperation for the next thread on roving mooring permits.

When I first joined the forum I asked lots of questions that had been asked before. The search facility on here is a bit pants but it wasn't just that - I just didn't consider that it had been asked before - why would I? As far as I knew at the time this was a brand new question that no one had asked before.

I was clearly fortunate that I wasn't derided and was offered some damn good advice rather than popcorn.

It does get tiresome I'm afraid - let's not be so smug please - we should never be an elite club that makes newbies feel silly for asking a polite question.

• Greenie 4

When I first joined the forum I asked lots of questions that had been asked before. The search facility on here is a bit pants but it wasn't just that - I just didn't consider that it had been asked before - why would I? As far as I knew at the time this was a brand new question that no one had asked before.

I was clearly fortunate that I wasn't derided and was offered some damn good advice rather than popcorn.

It does get tiresome I'm afraid - let's not be so smug please - we should never be an elite club that makes newbies feel silly for asking a polite question.

Totally agree Ange, after all it does say under the heading, ask ANY question here about boating! Not all people are savvy about how to use a forum, something we all need to remember now and then.

I know certain subjects have been done time and time again, but you can always choose to not answer.clapping.gif

Hello again,

Appologies to the smug and sarcastic people who seemed slightly irritated by my oh so silly questions. One day I should have more experience in this game and perhaps then I will be fit to approach you. Although... But thanks to the others who were sympathetic and more decent.

Fear not popcorn pillocks - I get the picture. I won't be renting.

M.

• Greenie 1

I bought MB a jar of garlic cloves marinated in chili oil today, we will see how they do. :D

He'll have no problem getting a seat on that train...

Hello again,

Appologies to the smug and sarcastic people who seemed slightly irritated by my oh so silly questions. One day I should have more experience in this game and perhaps then I will be fit to approach you. Although... But thanks to the others who were sympathetic and more decent.

M.

Plenty of boats for rent on the K&A. They go well with the overstayers, bridgehoppers and other scruffy ne'er do wells. Come and join us, You'll fit right in.

It is also worth mentioning that if questions weren't repeated, and fresh threads started, the forum would become as dead as Just Canals.

The other ironic thing about newbies is, when they do use the search system and ask a question in a year old thread they are accused of "grave digging" by the oldies.

Mario - before you give up on the idea, there's a clear difference between renting a boat to live on and not move, which is on a residential mooring. I'm happy to stand corrected but I think there's far fewer hoops to jump through than if you are renting a boat to liveaboard and cruise around on.

And for example the Daily Bile, only has a few subjects it writes about in turn, only varying the cause of your house price plummeting, or what will give you cancer next. With occassional articels about Diana and 'new sighting of Maddy' when house prices are stable. Doesn't stop people from reading the same crap every day.

Perhaps Pretzels could become the snack of choice for such circumstances.

In fact I may get some in the cupboard in preperation for the next thread on roving mooring permits.

Don't, they are very boring to eat, I bought 2 of those big cinnamon pretzels last week, most boring thing I've eaten apart from a tesco donut, which has gone down the list now due to the pretzel being more boring.

most boring thing I've eaten apart from a tesco donut.

Ah but have you not heard of "doughnut roulette"?

A friend once told me of his days working in a factory pumping jam into filled doughnuts and, to relieve the boredom, every now and then he and his colleagues would see how many shots of jam they could pump into one before it exploded.

If they managed to get 5 shots in they would let it carry on down the line to be bagged, primed to go off when an unsuspecting punter bites into it.

So now, with the element of risk inserted, eating a Tesco doughnut acquires a bit more excitement.

Hello again,

M.

Well, as you've been a member for a number of weeks, and maybe even taken the opportunity to use the 'search' function of the forum, you had the opportunity to discover a veritable 'mine of information' about long term boat hire.

- - - ? no?

Well, as you've been a member for a number of weeks, and maybe even taken the opportunity to use the 'search' function of the forum, you had the opportunity to discover a veritable 'mine of information' about long term boat hire.

- - - ? no?

I'm sorry G&F but no

The search function on the forum is rubbish. Even accepting that a newbie (even one of some weeks standing) may find it acceptable to ask an polite question without being derided. I asked whether trad sterns were better than cruiser sterns when I'd been a member for "some weeks". It didn't occur to me to use the search function - why should I? As a complete newbie I had no idea that the subject had been "done to death". A couple of members, instead of telling me off, posted links to previous topics, which is how it should be done rather than deriding the OP.

As Carl pointed out earlier if we outlaw all the contentious topics the forum will die - for those of us that have been around a while there's a lot of yawn topics, but to someone new to the forum they're still a valid topic for debate - and we do have new members all the time that add new dimensions and new experiences to that debate.

Let's not just put the forum on freeze and say "use the search function".

And bear in mind a number of weeks since registering membership doesn't necessarily mean they've perused the forum every day like us sad gits :D

• Greenie 2

Hello mate

Very common in London, although usually the boats I know about are on residential moorings, no cruising allowed, and the engines are disabled somehow. I rent out my old static boat, but lots of my old neighbours rented out their cruisers with no probs.

Not sure what it would be like in your neck of the woods - do a search on Apolloduck (or even Gumtree) to see what's available. Loads around Bristol I would suspect.

For cruising, its a bit different. Although difficult to nick a boat, insurance could be more troublesome, although GJW seem to have the most competitive quotes for rented boats.

So now, with the element of risk inserted, eating a Tesco doughnut acquires a bit more excitement.

I always find the hole first when eating them, not tesco's donuts though, I usually buy morrisons cause they are better.

A friend once told me of his days working in a factory pumping jam into filled doughnuts and, to relieve the boredom, every now and then he and his colleagues would see how many shots of jam they could pump into one before it exploded.

If they managed to get 5 shots in they would let it carry on down the line to be bagged, primed to go off when an unsuspecting punter bites into it.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "jammy bugger!" banned.gif

Edited by Beaker