Grease Gun?

mark99

Featured Posts

Generally I think that they are all the same but as to which is best for your application you will need to decide.

It's mainly the size of the resovoire that matters I think. Then, if the delivery nozzle is flexible or in some cases threaded to fit what you want to grease. (Is grease the word) joke!

You can also buy small sachets that you can open, squeeze and then throw.

Generally I think that they are all the same but as to which is best for your application you will need to decide.

It's mainly the size of the resovoire that matters I think. Then, if the delivery nozzle is flexible or in some cases threaded to fit what you want to grease. (Is grease the word) joke!

You can also buy small sachets that you can open, squeeze and then throw.

The sachets are brilliant. I find Brown Sauce best for the stern tube, mayonaise is too thin, and ketchup to thick.

Despite having a vast array of tooks sitting in the shed I've never had a grease gun.

Can anyone recommend one/type that should be used for boating or are they all the same?

I use the same one I had when I got my first Mini thirty odd years ago.

I would get one with a flexible rather than rigid delivery pipe though if I was buying again, gives more flexibility (literally!)

The sachets are brilliant. I find Brown Sauce best for the stern tube, mayonaise is too thin, and ketchup to thick.

I'd have thought that ketchup would suit you fine, well at least until your grammar and spelling is improved. ;)

I'd have thought that ketchup would suit you fine, well at least until your grammar and spelling is improved. ;)[/size]

You have now of course set yourself up for forensic like analysis of your spelling and grammar in all your future posts..... Good luck!

I bought one the other week fro Halfords . The grease went everywhere except into the nipple. couldn't be bothered to take it back, but I should have known better.

ok Brian that's good info. I'll probably get a "vintage" one off ebay as the quality is normally better, they are often less expensive and it's recycling of a sort.

You have now of course set yourself up for forensic like analysis of your spelling and grammar in all your future posts..... Good luck!

Well I'm doomed for sure. (I don't think Luctor is the type but there are some on here who would make it a mission!)

Edited by mark99

I bought one the other week fro Halfords . The grease went everywhere except into the nipple. couldn't be bothered to take it back, but I should have known better.

Wanner were-are the best lever type hand grease guns with a leak proof collet grip seal that latches on to the nipple just like a baby does. closedeyes.gif

Wanner grease gun.

Agreed. They were always The One To Buy. Complete pigs to refill with grease though, especially once they are all greasy on the outside.

Seeing as I've just lost mine (after 40 years, grrr...) I'm about to buy another. I wonder if the design has improved, or whether they are still exactly the same after all these years...

MtB

ETA, nope, they appear to be exactly the same as they were 40 years ago!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Wanner-High-Pressure-Grease-Gun-/141021167380?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item20d5843f14

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Agreed. They were always The One To Buy. Complete pigs to refill with grease though, especially once they are all greasy on the outside.

Seeing as I've just lost mine (after 40 years, grrr...) I'm about to buy another. I wonder if the design has improved, or whether they are still exactly the same after all these years...

MtB

That's a shame Mike. I bought mine when I was an apprentice 50 years ago, it has greased thousands of nipples on all sizes of vehicles and is still going strong.

Wanner, that brings back memories, lying under the car and greasing all the nipples, then in came the 'sealed' bearings etc. sad.png

I do not have any places to grease (with a grease gun) on my boat and the gun I had has got lost in house moves. sad.pngsad.png

ok Brian that's good info. I'll probably get a "vintage" one off ebay as the quality is normally better, they are often less expensive and it's recycling of a sort.

Well I'm doomed for sure. (I don't think Luctor is the type but there are some on here who would make it a mission!)

Of course, I wasn't meaning luctor. It's just that it's generally not the done thing to point out a poster's spelling and grammar failings in internet forums as we don't always know a person's spelling and grammatical ability.

Of course, I wasn't meaning luctor. It's just that it's generally not the done thing to point out a poster's spelling and grammar failings in internet forums as we don't always know a person's spelling and grammatical ability.

Especially as Luctor is, I believe, a Dutchman and English is his second language. I bet mark99 feels really clever now.

All the guns are pretty much the same, what makes the difference is a quality end fitting on the flex tube, the cheap ones are utter crap, machine mart do good ones for under three pounds.

I reckon i wreck one if not two grease guns a year in my job.

Lynall

On mine, one of the places the grease comes out where the pump handle pivots

People do it to me on a regular basis