Choosing A Colour Scheme

Featured Posts

We like our graphite grey with red bits (roof is grey at the front, red oxide at the back. Of course, after only 2.5 years, the bright red is showing signs of fading on top (handrails). The rest remains shiny though!

9366925094_2eb93f6029_b.jpg

The grey looks a bit dull in the photo, but its a nice rich grey in reality - RAL 7024

Edited by nicknorman

• 2 weeks later...

Can boat colors be custom mixed by using paint cards that you find in place like B&Q? I never see any blue/green colors on boats, just the green. Is it possible to get various shades of one color?

If you want to come up with color schemes, google color wheel (or buy one) and find one that has many shades of each color on it. You can choose to stay in the same color group, find a color you like and look at the color on the opposite side for a contrast, or choose a color from each side of the one you like.

Guilty as charged!

The last time she was painted, by a professional, she was silver, pink and purple, so to me she is not outlandish.

But as far as re sale goes, she is my home and I do not plan to sell her. I am not a "traditional" person and neither is the boat, after all she is a at least 25 year old ex hire boat, with the scars to prove it.

Post a pic of your boat. I would love to see the colors on it.

When we were trying to work out a colour scheme I designed a very simple, basic 'Paint Job Ideas' programme using Powerpoint on a PC. Here's an image of one I made earlier. Once you've downloaded the Powerpoint programme, just click on the various areas of colour to change them.

Happy to share.Can be downloaded from Google docs.

(Once the preview of the three boats appears on screen, the Powerpoint programme needs to be downloaded and then opened and/or saved, using the either the 'arrow' icon (top left under 'File') or Ctrl+S. Don't save the preview..it's just an image.)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5WORDU4USM7d0FQcDJSTFZZNTA/edit?usp=sharing

1004511_10151840987322959_914916555_n.jp

Edited by Québec

Afternoon all smile.png

We're thinking about changing the colour of our boat. It needs a paint anyway, as it's getting a bit tired, but we reckon it'd be nice to go for a new colour scheme. To help us choose our colour scheme, I've got a few questions -

How did you choose your boat's colour scheme? ...

If you have the software:

1) Photograph the boat from the side

2) Open it up in PhotoShop (or similar)

3) On separate layers outline all the individually coloured bits

4) Spontaneously and inspirationally apply different combinations of colours to the different bits. Save each combination that seems half-decent as a separate file for later (naming these files after the colour scheme helps later confusion)

5) Add or subtract coachlines, panels and such to see what these might look like.

For real precision, get a colour chart of marine paints (Epifanes, Rylard, or whatever) and only use close matches of those colours in PhotoShop (otherwise you'll end up looking for 'near-matches' on the shelves)

Or, we also found going into a chandlers and gathering together various tins of paint with their colours printed on the lids, and re-arranging them in various combinations and standing back and squinting and imagining them on a boat narrowed the field and gave us an idea of what we liked/didn't like and what worked/didn't work. I think most chandlers are quite tolerant of this sort of behaviour.

We used a combination of the above to do the bow decoration like this

Edited by Jim Batty

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
On 12/08/2013 at 18:53, Jim Batty said:

If you have the software:

1) Photograph the boat from the side

2) Open it up in PhotoShop (or similar)

3) On separate layers outline all the individually coloured bits

4) Spontaneously and inspirationally apply different combinations of colours to the different bits. Save each combination that seems half-decent as a separate file for later (naming these files after the colour scheme helps later confusion)

5) Add or subtract coachlines, panels and such to see what these might look like.

For real precision, get a colour chart of marine paints (Epifanes, Rylard, or whatever) and only use close matches of those colours in PhotoShop (otherwise you'll end up looking for 'near-matches' on the shelves)

Or, we also found going into a chandlers and gathering together various tins of paint with their colours printed on the lids, and re-arranging them in various combinations and standing back and squinting and imagining them on a boat narrowed the field and gave us an idea of what we liked/didn't like and what worked/didn't work. I think most chandlers are quite tolerant of this sort of behaviour.

Also here you can find the right or suitable palette, there is https://create.vista.com/colors/palettes/space-color-palette/  just a huge choice and use it, or even I really like this one, so you can achieve integrity and harmony in the color scheme, I personally use them all the time.

We used a combination of the above to do the bow decoration like this

Thank you very much for the widely posted information, it will be very useful for me, as it will speed up the creation process a lot, choosing a color takes a huge part of the time, and now it's just a matter of minutes, thank you.

On 25/07/2013 at 17:05, nicknorman said:

, the bright red is showing signs of fading on top (handrails).

Just as an aside It is my understanding that red will always fade irrespective of any preparation. It was suggested to me by Rylards that it wasn't the best choice for the main body colour due to this fading. 

Certainly no reason not to use it if its limitations are known and it fits in with a  repainting schedule. 

Edited by reg

I haven't googled anything in years ... but a few moments on DuckDuckGo discovers this nice bit of info:

Under most circumstances, red fades the fastest of all visible colors. Short-wavelength light such as blue or violet has greater energy than lower-wavelength light, and red has the longest wavelength of visible colors. Red objects reflect red light but absorb harmful, energy-rich, short-wavelength light.

And:

When light, particularly ultraviolet light, which has a very short wavelength, hits an object, the energy contained within interacts with the exposed surface. The new energy excites the outer molecules of the object causing chemical bonds, thus reducing the vibrancy of the color and the strength of the object over time. Color and molecular damage can never be repaired.

Red sounds positively dangerous when it's put this way!

• Greenie 1

We had our last (syndicate) boat repainted in the same colour scheme as it seemed a simpler option than having to "vote" on other options. This design involved 3 basic colours with lines, however in hindsight I think we should have changed it to a simpler design that would make touching up a lot simpler.....particularly as the paint started to peel off within the first 3 months.....

I have now painted my boat twice.

When I bought it everything was boring blue, nothing much wrong with it, but I decided to rub it down and paint it grey.

If I wanted to spend more time cruising and not much time painting, I would have sanded and painted (white grey) only the front and  back cabin sides, not doors. White grey roof. Gloss red on the rubbing strakes , rear area, and tiller and off you go, about a week' 

My original choice was Rustoleum Combi Color Grey, which I thought was trendy, but it's not, it looks like primer.

By this year, I had decided on grey white marine paint undercoat / matt topcoat (SML own brand) for the roof and grey white satin gloss (SML) for the sides.  SML provide technical advice, as do Rawlins paints.

Now, my original idea was to do lovely contrasting yellow and red coach lines, this did not work, due to lack of skill, so had to be sanded down and painted grey, so in the end I had a two colour grey boat and later painted roof lighter to keep boat cool.

My second attempt has been successful imho. Though I know I might have to change the rear doors, sometime.

The sides are satin gloss from SML, they call it gloss, but a high gloss would show scratches, so satin finish is fine.

The detail is black gloss, Sandtex ten year Gloss, it is glossy. I used Sandtex undercoat and it was super easy to use.

I have painted doors black gloss as they don't show fingerprints, and I have plenty of paint.

I tried the gunwales black gloss, but ended up with blue grey satin from SML marine paint for definition. This paint should be fine to touch up..

My rubbing strakes are still Sandtex red gloss over red oxide. 

I have four inch broad lines of black gloss, on cabin sides, two horizontal and four or five vertical on each side. I think it looks pretty smart, essentially pale silver white with black detail and red highlights.

One. unforseen consequence is the white shows up from a distance, which is handy. Someone remarked it looked smart! WOWl.

It took ten days in the tunnel (power is essential, good tools, good weather). If there is any rust, add another two days.

Edited by LadyG