Choosing A Colour Scheme

Featured Posts

Afternoon all :)

We're thinking about changing the colour of our boat. It needs a paint anyway, as it's getting a bit tired, but we reckon it'd be nice to go for a new colour scheme. To help us choose our colour scheme, I've got a few questions -

How did you choose your boat's colour scheme?

What are the pros and cons to different colours (e.g. degredation of the colour, heat to touch, glare etc)?

Anyone got any lovely photos for inspiration?

What's the deal with lime green botes anyway?! ;)

Cheers,

Lucy

PS Thanks to Julynian for tips on painting in another thread - we hope to do the work ourselves to save on cost but have never painted a boat before.. Any further tips gratefully received, especially any links to good quality Boat Painting for Dummies guides!

I would certainly recommend a cream roof. Ours has been a godsend during the recent hot weather, keeping the interior nice and cool!

As for the main colour scheme I would have an eye to resale value, ie something not too outlandish. There are some strange colours floating around on the cut!

Ken

we went for a red wine color seven years ago. it looks great to start but gradually fades to pink.dont think i would bother again.

I've heard that as well - mine's supposedly that colour and when you compare the front which used to be under a cratch with the sides there is quite a difference.

The colour choice was accidental. A colleague of mines wife had bought 12 tins of Rylard Navy blue paint for a boat they were going to buy - they decided to get divorced instead. When he heard we were buying a boat he gave them to me since he no-longer needed them. Thus the blue paint scheme.

The roof started off blue but was too hot in summer. We painted it white however it was difficult to keep clean and made us look like a hire company based further down the canal. We eventually settled on Red oxide gloss for the roof since it's easy to maintain.

The decks were blue originally but scratched and marked easily. We painted them in grey deck paint but ended up painting them in red oxide since they're easy to maintain and keep looking good.

The gunwales are in black smoothrite since it's glass loaded and can cope with a hard life. They're also easy to touch up.

By accident / coincidence we've ended up in GUCCO colours...

I believe the pigments in red paint/dye are more susceptible to attack by the sun's rays, but his can be avoided by regular polishing. I may be wrong, but I think the most "stable" colour for outside use is blue.

Every time I think I know what the nicest colour scheme is, along comes another boat to change my mind.

The size of the boat also makes a difference, a small boat looks nicer in a bright colour, larger boats look better in something more muted, that's my view anyway.

Painting the "boot top" causes a lot of debate in NB circles, I think they definitely look better painted, but there are strong views that the hull should be black all the way up to the gunnels. I saw a lovely boat a couple of years ago which the owner had painted from the waterline to the gunnels in blackboard paint, it looked very smart and he said it was so easy to keep clean. But of course there's only one colour to choose from...

Tones of the same colour always work well and are pleasant and easy on the eye. Black-grey, dark grey-light grey, dark green-light green, dark blue -light blue, red-pink ect ect ect.separated by coach lines.

Edited by bizzard

We've changed from British Racing Green (or was it Buckingham Green?!) to dark blue with off-white coachlines.

The green made it look like a GWR locomotive -- OK for a beast with wheels, not for one that floats.

That must have been Brunswick green then.

Hi

Much depends on the style of boat and the effect you want to achieve. To my traditional grumpy eye, working as a signwriter/boat decorator in the business, I favour strong monochromatic colours.....dark greens/blues, brightish reds, strong yellows or cream for coach lines. Don't be afraid to be bold, narrowboats cry out for an eye catching livery. I see far too many single colour boats with perhaps a coach line. A colour swatch card from a paint supplier could help you make choices too. Personal opinion only but pastels don't look right to me, nor does painting the top bend above the rubbing strakes with the main cabin colour. I prefer a red oxide colour cabin top top too.....workmanlike, practical and easy to repaint. Good luck with the project, hope it goes well.

Cheers

Dave

My previous boats were very 'traditional' in the paint department and style and this time .. I had 'treespirit' painted dark dark green ( my fav colour .. well being moi :).. and the coach line is off white and the roof is mid grey .. battleship grey maybe. This might seem a bit boring to some ..but where she will come into her element is when i have the signwriting details done... pentacles, unicorns , treespirits and moons and stars .,owls and daisys :)

A tip might be to draw a couple of pictures of boats and then doodle around with different colour schemes.

At the end of the day what ever you colour you decide to paint your boat ..depends on you adn what you like.. its your boat and as long as you are happy with the final outcome... that is all that really matters :)

I would certainly recommend a cream roof. Ours has been a godsend during the recent hot weather, keeping the interior nice and cool!

As for the main colour scheme I would have an eye to resale value, ie something not too outlandish. There are some strange colours floating around on the cut!

Ken

Guilty as charged!

The last time she was painted, by a professional, she was silver, pink and purple, so to me she is not outlandish.

But as far as re sale goes, she is my home and I do not plan to sell her. I am not a "traditional" person and neither is the boat, after all she is a at least 25 year old ex hire boat, with the scars to prove it.

• Greenie 1

Afternoon all smile.png

We're thinking about changing the colour of our boat. It needs a paint anyway, as it's getting a bit tired, but we reckon it'd be nice to go for a new colour scheme. To help us choose our colour scheme, I've got a few questions -

How did you choose your boat's colour scheme?

SNIP

Cheers,

Lucy

We took a photo and then Photoshopped various colours on to it to see what we liked, and didn't.

Ended up with the same dark blue and red panels but went for a light grey roof, but that's no cooler than the previous red oxide and shows as dirty quicker.

N