Lockeeper Swarkestone Lock T&m

KJT

Featured Posts

This morning at about 10-30 am I arrived at Swarkestone Lock on the Trent & Mersey. I was travelling uphill and the gates were open so I entered the lock. Just as I am going in a guy on a bicycle and carrying a windlass arrived at the lock. I ran my centreline over a bollard and back onboard just to keep the boat to my side, which is my custom when solo in a wide lock. My partner closed the gate and went to open a ground paddle to start filling the lock. This guy then proceeded to open both the other ground paddle and then a gate paddle causing my boat to buffet about and then cross the lock to hit the wall on the offside, before I had a chance to correct it and prevent it running back towards the rear gates. I tried shouting to this guy to get him to stop, but at no time did he give me eye contact. I gave the engine a burst of power to prevent hitting the gates. My partner got his attention and told him to stop, which he did. In conversation he said he was the lock keeper and had just arrived for duty. I very much doubt this as he was wearing a black sweatshirt with some company logo on it, not CRT, and was not wearing a lifejacket which seems to be the norm!

I am sure also that CRT training would included involving the steerer and keeping eye contact at all times, not staring into the lock, drawing on a cigarette!

I guess this guy is some sort of a clown with nothing better to do on a Sunday....or is he a lock keeper as he says? None of the other locks we have passed through, including the powered one at Sawley had a lock keeper on duty.

Anyone come across him before?

Ken

Three of us travelling together came across this clown in late May and again in early June. He introduced himself as the permanent Lockie (his words not mine). When there were the three boats (going downhill) he kept well out of our way but when solo ( going uphill) it took all my efforts to prevent him opening the paddles. He was wearing neither a life jacket or a CRT polo shirt and his actions were to say the least questionable. So much so I felt it necessary to check with the CRT office at Fazeley as to whether or not he was either an employee or a recognised volunteer, he was neither. I feel that this man is a serious problem waiting to happen particularly where solo inexperienced boaters are concerned.

Not that we have had much help from lock keepers (note, we don't expect any so that not really a criticism), but the couple of times we have they have just wound the paddles up full without looking towards the boat at all, and then turned/walked away to look at what is going on else where. So I doubt that CRT training does involve them making any contact with the steerer,

Sounds like this guy was not CRT though, just a well meaning individual.

....where's Nicknorman this weekend.....?

We came across him earlier this month and he told us he'd had training and that he came every day from Derby. I did think it strange at the time. Thanks for the heads up.

Could have sworn Nick Norman was based in Scotland!

We came across him earlier this month and he told us he'd had training and that he came every day from Derby. I did think it strange at the time. Thanks for the heads up.

Have you met Mr Carlsberg at Dallow lane Lock, poor guy was always smashed out of his brain and used to wield a windlass - used to scare the hell out me waiting for him to fall in.

Edited by The Dog House

Have you met Mr Carslberg at Dallow lane Lock, poor guy was always smashed out of his brain and used to wield a windlass - used to scare the hell out me waiting for him to fall in.

Been through there four times this year and not seen this fella.

Been through there four times this year and not seen this fella.

I'm going back a couple of years to when we moored at Mercia, poor guy is probably no longer with us.

I'm going back a couple of years to when we moored at Mercia, poor guy is probably no longer with us.

I remember him well, carlsberg special as I recall, completely inoffensive though and always hammered. The last time we passed through he was unconscious and we had to walk around him.

....where's Nicknorman this weekend.....?

Norty mutty Matty, as you well know I have never and will never condone such behaviour. Read my posts, don't make them up!

Talking of Lock keepers, I find the bloke at Bingley's five rise locks very grumpy. Or did I catch him on an off day?

They can be grumpy. Not really an excuse, but I suppose they probably encounter a lot of clowns in a days work (present company excepted of course).

Could have sworn Nick Norman was based in Scotland!

Norty you too! Get back to your rivet grinding!

Anyway, if I was going to do that I'd keep my powder dry until DM came along!

Edited by nicknorman

Talking of Lock keepers, I find the bloke at Bingley's five rise locks very grumpy. Or did I catch him on an off day?

Assuming it's still Barry, it's several years since I met him, but he struck me as one of those the producer of "Down Your Way" used to talk about when he said...

"First find out who the local characters are, then avoid them..."

A year or two back we encountered a guy at Stenson lock who claimed to be a BW lockie. He also told us of the secret way out of Langley Mill basin, an alternative to the Erewash Canal that very few know about!

He didn't give us any dangerous "help" as I recall, but was clearly a bit deranged. I wonder if this was the same chap.

We christened him smiler a month or two back.

Not very PC In his references to the ladies either.

Someone told us he only does it so he can keep his job seekers allowance or some such.

He has washed the bow a couple of times but has got better recently.

This morning at about 10-30 am I arrived at Swarkestone Lock on the Trent & Mersey. I was travelling uphill and the gates were open so I entered the lock. Just as I am going in a guy on a bicycle and carrying a windlass arrived at the lock. I ran my centreline over a bollard and back onboard just to keep the boat to my side, which is my custom when solo in a wide lock. My partner closed the gate and went to open a ground paddle to start filling the lock. This guy then proceeded to open both the other ground paddle and then a gate paddle causing my boat to buffet about and then cross the lock to hit the wall on the offside, before I had a chance to correct it and prevent it running back towards the rear gates. I tried shouting to this guy to get him to stop, but at no time did he give me eye contact. I gave the engine a burst of power to prevent hitting the gates. My partner got his attention and told him to stop, which he did. In conversation he said he was the lock keeper and had just arrived for duty. I very much doubt this as he was wearing a black sweatshirt with some company logo on it, not CRT, and was not wearing a lifejacket which seems to be the norm!

I am sure also that CRT training would included involving the steerer and keeping eye contact at all times, not staring into the lock, drawing on a cigarette!

I guess this guy is some sort of a clown with nothing better to do on a Sunday....or is he a lock keeper as he says? None of the other locks we have passed through, including the powered one at Sawley had a lock keeper on duty.

Anyone come across him before?

Ken

I've just started my lock keeper training anf yes, life jacket do have to be worn when near the lock.

I need to complete so many hours of training and be assessed before being allowed to operate the lock on my own, so if this guy hasn't been seen with a CRT staff member then it doesn't sound like he is a lock keeper or a volunteer at all.

Have you met Mr Carlsberg at Dallow lane Lock, poor guy was always smashed out of his brain and used to wield a windlass - used to scare the hell out me waiting for him to fall in.

There has been a real drive down the Canal in Burton to stop anti social drinking at Horninglow basin and Dallow lock- There are fewer "characters" down there now- not sure where they've moved to.

Regarding Swarkestone- we've never come across this guy- but have met a guy at Stenson who regularly helps- never had an issue with the guy at Stenson- he was always helpful and knew what he was doing

Thanks everyone, for your observations. Clearly this idiot has nothing to do with CRT.

With the large number of hire boats I have seen passing through here the last couple of days or so, any inexperienced crews could well be put in some difficulty or even danger, by his antics!

He seems to regard Swarkestone as 'his lock' so don't be surprised if you come across him if travelling through there.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Ken

I would suggest, Ken, that you email Central Shires since Swarkestone is part of that area. enquiries.centralshires@canalrivertrust.org.uk

They may know about this man - CRT seem to know a lot of the seemingly self appointed lockies - and a feed in from you would be welcome I'm sure. Your concern is the safety and confidence of boaters going through the lock and there are indeed a lot of newcomers to the cut going through that route.

I would suggest, Ken, that you email Central Shires since Swarkestone is part of that area. enquiries.centralshires@canalrivertrust.org.uk

They may know about this man - CRT seem to know a lot of the seemingly self appointed lockies - and a feed in from you would be welcome I'm sure. Your concern is the safety and confidence of boaters going through the lock and there are indeed a lot of newcomers to the cut going through that route.

Thanks Jo.

I will do as you suggest. Thanks also for the email address.

Ken