Some Boats Have Showroom Roofs. Mines Got Stuff On It.

DeanS

Featured Posts

Every time I see a boat, with curled up ropes, and not a single thing on top....not even foot prints, I tell myself...they must only use it for quick trips on weekends....because you see....I admire those boats so much, but have never been able to get my roof / ropes like that....because I'm always climbing on the roof...storing bikes, coal, and other junk up there.....

Am I just a bad boater, or am I trying to achieve the impossible.

Every time I see a boat, with curled up ropes, and not a single thing on top....not even foot prints, I tell myself...they must only use it for quick trips on weekends....because you see....I admire those boats so much, but have never been able to get my roof / ropes like that....because I'm always climbing on the roof...storing bikes, coal, and other junk up there.....

Am I just a bad boater, or am I trying to achieve the impossible.

I conceded we don't coil our ropes neatly like you see some boaters do but generally our roof is normally clear - but just to challenge your stereotypical assumptions we are not live aboards but we often have a couple of bags of coal on the roof in the winter, though nothing else usually.

I try to keep it as clear as I can, but then again I can fit ten sacks of coal on my tug deck!

I have had it drilled into me by him indoors to kepe the ropes neat, after all its most annoying when you leap off with the centre line only to find out it's caught itself round a mushroom vent or tied itself in knots.

Edited by Lady Muck

Yes, I completely acknowledge my assumptions are wrong. I have a kayak, 3 bags of coal, 3 bikes, a washing line, a broom, and 4 deck chairs on my roof. I have no where else to put them, so try and keep them in one bundle. Impossible to coil ropes as we seem to be forever needing them to do something.

I just want a roof with nothing on it....but I fear I'll never achieve it.

I'm going to have to work out some better storage options I think.

eta...forgot the 4 solar panels :)

Edited by DeanS

Single handing the last thing you need is crap on the roof to trip over when returning/leaving boat at the bottom of a lock. C of G issues aside of course.

Having said that I do have a 20Kg anchor on the front of the roof simply because I haven't found anywhere better to store it yet.

Lots of crap important stuff on our roof.

I'm with you on this one Dean - I'd love a clear roof but nowhere else to put the stuff.

I don't lose sleep about it though - there's more important things to worry about :)

I don't store much junk on my roof but anything that is there is usually towards the bow, to keep it clear of my centre ropes. Being single-handed I also leave the 2 bow ropes (attached to their respective cleats) on either side at the very front of the roof which makes them easier to get in a hurry - or for a lockkeeper to grab if I'm going uphill. They are never neatly coiled. I think I'd find it a bit difficult to exit a lock while neatly coiling ropes on my own.

P1000883_zpsab05b89a.jpg

Edited by blackrose

This is a better picture of what I mean. Perhaps most people do this anyway, but for single-handers leaving your bow rope(s) on the roof means you can jump up onto the roof and easily throw the rope up onto the bank rather than having to go through the boat and onto the well deck where you not only have a more difficult throw, but then may also have to get onto the roof anyway in order to use the ladder.

The only thing you have to watch out for is not tripping over the ropes when you do want to go onto the well deck for something.

IMG-20130511-00347_zps62e164d7.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Single handing the last thing you need is crap on the roof to trip over when returning/leaving boat at the bottom of a lock. C of G issues aside of course.

x2 really. The roof of the boat is clear(ish), because it needs to be. We bought our boat with enough storage space to fit everything in it, not on it. Its tight in winter but we don't use the stove as much as others and can buy coal 2-3 bags at a time, and neatly lean one up against a wall inside as well as both front lockers. In particular, if you need to haul a boat out of a lock by rope, and clear a tailbridge, you need a lack of clutter on the roof to be able to swing the rope under the bridge etc.

I am personally amazed at how many boaters go along with their centre rope inaccessible, ie they need to walk along the gunnels or roof to the centre of the boat, to get it, instead of being able to pick it up and step off the back of the boat.

We have two centre lines, one either side of the roof and both within reach of the steerer. We used to keep the rear part of the roof completely clear, but then we got solar panels, so added another centre line so we didn't have to flick it over the solar panels.

yup...my centre line is long enough to droop over the back edge of the roof.....I use it a lot...bring the back of the boat in, jump off with the centre line, and pull etc. I definately need to invest in a second one so I have one for both sides :)

I'm planning to put some box seating in around the tiller area, so my coal could go there. I could get a proper 3xbike rack mounted on a towbar in time....and I could get grandad to take his kayak back. ...and....if I keep at it....one day....I may....have a roof like others do.......lol......

We keep our roof clear.

Apart from solar panels x 2, bikes x2, one top box, aerial, Calder spike aka 'the leveller', boat poles, planks, fenders, two center lines, fishing rod, lifebuoy coal and currently a half bag of compost :-)

Edited by Kiwidad

You shouldn't need the gunwales for ordinary operation (except for round a short cabin, for instance on a motor boat to get to the engine room. )

The coach roof is the operational deck for many situations.

x2 really. The roof of the boat is clear(ish), because it needs to be. We bought our boat with enough storage space to fit everything in it, not on it. Its tight in winter but we don't use the stove as much as others and can buy coal 2-3 bags at a time, and neatly lean one up against a wall inside as well as both front lockers. In particular, if you need to haul a boat out of a lock by rope, and clear a tailbridge, you need a lack of clutter on the roof to be able to swing the rope under the bridge etc.

I am personally amazed at how many boaters go along with their centre rope inaccessible, ie they need to walk along the gunnels or roof to the centre of the boat, to get it, instead of being able to pick it up and step off the back of the boat.

Nice bit of erroneous assumption there Mr D.

I have lived aboard many years, worked boats, lived on them. I always keep the coach roof clear it's a working area, anything else is dangerous and ugly.

Hear hear Pinky

We keep our roof clear.

Apart from solar panels x 2, bikes x2, one top box, aerial, Calder spike aka 'the leveller', boat poles, planks, fenders, two center lines, fishing rod, lifebuoy coal and currently a half bag of compost :-)

I'm planning to put some box seating in around the tiller area, so my coal could go there. I could get a proper 3xbike rack mounted on a towbar in time....and I could get grandad to take his kayak back. ...and....if I keep at it....one day....I may....have a roof like others do.......lol......

hehe - I thinks that'll be our roof (minus the bikes!) Oh and i love Bunny's foliage

Edited by StarUKKiwi