The Fate Of The Camouflage Boat.....

Featured Posts

Why do you have to have "something to hide" just because you value your privacy.

I never displayed my licence and my boat still carried all the information necessary to satisfy those that mattered that all was in order.

I really can't see how showing a licence affects your privacy!!....I take it you buy everything in used notes and look over your shoulder all the time too.....

Cheers

Gareth

I really can't see how showing a licence affects your privacy!!.

Because there are so many "nosey ####"(©Delta9) out there who have an unhealthy interest in other people's business that I don't like to pander to their need to interfere.

It is a shame that I couldn't be there when they typed my number in to the snitch site only to be told that my boat was fully legit.

I have no problem about displaying the bit of paper; couldn't care less, but fail to see the purpose of it these days.

We were once scoped out by a patrol officer whilst moored at Alrewas on the T&M - we were displaying an out of date licence and I though 'hey up we are going to get a ticking off' - he never batted an eyelid.

What I don't understand is why anyone would spoil a perfectly nice walk along the canal by peering in at other boats' windows and tut tutting about whether their licence appears to be in date or not.

What I don't understand is why anyone would spoil a perfectly nice walk along the canal by peering in at other boats' windows and tut tutting about whether their licence appears to be in date or not.

That is a perfectly nice walk for some people.

On the subject of those who decry the allegedly "nosey parker" folk who take an interest in whether someone else's boat is licensed or not, presumably these are the same people who turn a blind eye to any other crime they see in progress such as a girl being raped in an alley, someone mugging an old lady for her purse etc. Its an indefensible position if you stop to think about it (which of course they don't, since they are too busy claiming what they consider to be the moral high ground) and a sad reflection of society's current attitudes. Personally I use the CRT licence checker from time to time and report any unlicensed boats.

So does anyone have the answer about how boats that don't display any identification have their status checked?

Cheers

Gareth

I think you know the answer. Unless the boat has a secret chip (like my wheelybin) that can be scanned, then I doubt there is a way. That is why boats normally carry an index number, similar to the reg. plates on a road vehicle. I suspect that it is a condition of using a boat on our waterways that such an index number is displayed, though you'll have to check that out, 'cause I can't be arsed.

On the subject of those who decry the allegedly "nosey parker" folk who take an interest in whether someone else's boat is licensed or not, presumably these are the same people who turn a blind eye to any other crime they see in progress such as a girl being raped in an alley, someone mugging an old lady for her purse etc. Its an indefensible position if you stop to think about it (which of course they don't, since they are too busy claiming what they consider to be the moral high ground) and a sad reflection of society's current attitudes. Personally I use the CRT licence checker from time to time and report any unlicensed boats.

Because rape is the same level of crime as license evasion?

Now you're just making silly analogies.

A better one would be to walk along the street checking the tax discs in car windows. How many people do that?

You presume wrong.

An a more ridiculous suggestion I've not read on here for a long time.

Relating such crimes to non display of a boat licence is quite rediculous.

I think you know the answer. Unless the boat has a secret chip (like my wheelybin) that can be scanned, then I doubt there is a way. That is why boats normally carry an index number, similar to the reg. plates on a road vehicle. I suspect that it is a condition of using a boat on our waterways that such an index number is displayed, though you'll have to check that out, 'cause I can't be arsed.

It is

On the subject of those who decry the allegedly "nosey parker" folk who take an interest in whether someone else's boat is licensed or not, presumably these are the same people who turn a blind eye to any other crime they see in progress such as a girl being raped in an alley, someone mugging an old lady for her purse etc.

In the same over-reactionary hysterical tone do those who use the snitch site drive along the motorway at 70mph and note down and every car that overtakes them, report evry car they see on a yellow line, ring the police every time they see a car wander over a solid white line in the carriageway, make a citizen's arrest whenever they see someone dropping litter?

No of course not and to suggest so would be just as ridiculous and irrelevant as what you have suggested.

Now you're just making silly analogies.

A better one would be to walk along the street checking the tax discs in car windows. How many people do that?

You presume wrong.

An a more ridiculous suggestion I've not read on here for a long time.

Relating such crimes to non display of a boat licence is quite rediculous.

A crime is a crime! Personally I don't consider myself sufficiently important to determine which laws should be obeyed and which should be ignored.

Of course my analogy was an extreme one, but between licence evasion and rape there is a large spectrum of other crimes. Just how do you determine where to draw the line at a reportable versus unreportable one? And in fact not just an Unreportable one but one which, when nevertheless reported, gets you abuse from your peers?

Edited by nicknorman

It m

My point is that there is an increasing number of boats with no visible identification whatsoever. I suppose that according to some people this does protect their privacy though.....

My argument for still using paper licences is that this makes checks on boats like these easy.....I'm guessing that a lot more boats will start "being painted" to give an excuse not to show anything that enables the electronic units to be used.

Cheers

Gareth

A crime is a crime! Personally I don't consider myself sufficiently important to determine which laws should be obeyed and which should be ignored.

Of course my analogy was an extreme one, but between licence evasion and rape there is a large spectrum of other crimes. Just how do you determine where to draw the line at a reportable versus unreportable one? And in fact not just an Unreportable one but one which, when nevertheless reported, gets you abuse from your peers?

I think it's sunday and you have alcoholic poisoning again.

My point is that there is an increasing number of boats with no visible identification whatsoever.

No your point was originally about the non-display of licences but you've moved on to a point that pretty much everyone agrees on.

Displaying a licence is only for the curtain twitchers whereas displaying the index number gives those who need to know all the relevant information about a boat.

Edited by carlt

It m

My point is that there is an increasing number of boats with no visible identification whatsoever. I suppose that according to some people this does protect their privacy though.....

My argument for still using paper licences is that this makes checks on boats like these easy.....I'm guessing that a lot more boats will start "being painted" to give an excuse not to show anything that enables the electronic units to be used.

Cheers

Gareth

It does nothing of the sort - I could knock up a fake licence in Word in a few minutes and stick it in the windows along with painting a fake index number on the boat and whilst this would satisfy jo public it would still in the end only be picked up if checked by CRT

Edited by The Dog House