The Fate Of The Camouflage Boat.....

Featured Posts

Look here: http://road.cc/content/news/19459-cat-fiddle-once-again-tops-list-britains-most-persistently-dangerous-roads-video

The Road Safety Foundation says that the single carriageway road, which has a speed limit of 50mph, is particularly hazardous for motorcyclists, with police records showing that “the vast majority of casualties were motorcyclists, from outside the local area, male, and with an average age of 35.”

It added that factors contributing to the road’s danger were its “severe bends, steep falls from the carriageway and is edged by dry-stone walls or rock face for almost all of its length,” and added that the number of fatalities and serious collisions there had seen a 127% rise from 15 to 34 between 2006 and 2008.

Not sure - licence one may be a civil action?

"A civil action is usually bought following a claim that one side has broken their contract with the other. However, a civil action can also relate to duties imposed by the common law without the need for a contract. For example, a civil action can be brought if a person defames you or trespasses on your land. Unlike criminal proceedings where the State almost always has the role of prosecuting individuals who are alleged to have broken the criminal law, in a civil action one party takes proceedings against another party"

But the need for a licence comes directly from an act of parliament doesn't it, just like the need to insure your car etc. therefore to be in breach of it is a criminal offence. Civil actions are as your quote suggests, and doesn't cover breach of a statutory requirement.

That post was aimed particularly at nicknorman, who in this thread has painted himself as whiter than white but has previously bragged about riding at silly speeds on his bike.

Tim

Ah, good old misquoting just to stir up an argument - you can't beat it for passing the time!

Firstly, I didn't use any paint of any colour, and certainly not white, in any of my posts. Secondly I was discussing reporting the wrong doings of others. I never mentioned own wrongdoing. So if you want to report me for speeding, go ahead, but you'll have to catch me first.

Edited by nicknorman

But the need for a licence comes directly from an act of parliament doesn't it, just like the need to insure your car etc. therefore to be in breach of it is a criminal offence. Civil actions are as your quote suggests, and doesn't cover breach of a statutory requirement.

You may be right. A "licence" sort of confers granting a right via a contract (rules/bylaws)? I really don't know and wish a lawyer would chime in.

I know if you get caught without a TV or Rod Licence you could get a criminal record - just not sure about boat licence.

That post was aimed particularly at nicknorman, who in this thread has painted himself as whiter than white but has previously bragged about riding at silly speeds on his bike.

If there weren't a fairly large number of bikers who disregard limits etc, why would they bother to put up speed sensitive signs aimed specifically at bikers? Why would they bother with aerial patrols on some of the pennine passes at certain summer times, specifically looking out for dodgy riders?

I'm not trying to suggest it's a majority, but certainly a significant number.

Tim

Yeah I'm with Bazza on this one, I felt included in your ad-hoc statement by default as well.

This is always what happens when someone decides to take pot shots at the actions or perceived actions of another and turns it into a "you bikers" or "you CC'ers" or "you historic boaters" or "you whatever" thing; you might be aiming for one person for whatever reason you found offensive in the first place, but you end up sucking up this whole demographic of other people who have nothing to do with the cause of your initial ire but just happen to have something in common with the person who pissed you off as well.

Why are there so many "think bike?" and speed signs showing pictures of bikers on them? Possibly aimed at bikers, as are sometimes warnings about dodgy chicanes and things, because these things are exponentially more dangerous to people on two wheels than four if approached wrongly.

But they are equally aimed at "you car drivers" (see, I just did it!) who welly along country roads or throw themselves around sharp bends at over the speed limit, straddling the middle of the road, not knowing if a biker or anything else is coming towards them, to remind them to think of bikers and other road users.

Edited by Starcoaster

Yeah I'm with Bazza on this one, I felt included in your ad-hoc statement by default as well.

This is always what happens when someone decides to take pot shots at the actions or perceived actions of another and turns it into a "you bikers" or "you CC'ers" or "you historic boaters" or "you whatever" thing; you might be aiming for one person for whatever reason you found offensive in the first place, but you end up sucking up this whole demographic of other people who have nothing to do with the cause of your initial ire but just happen to have something in common with the person who pissed you off as well.

Why are there so many "think bike?" and speed signs showing pictures of bikers on them? Possibly aimed at bikers, as are sometimes warnings about dodgy chicanes and things, because these things are exponentially more dangerous to people on two wheels than four if approached wrongly.

But they are equally aimed at "you car drivers" (see, I just did it!) who welly along country roads or throw themselves around sharp bends at over the speed limit, straddling the middle of the road, not knowing if a biker or anything else is coming towards them, to remind them to think of bikers and other road users.

Good post - agree 100%.

... And can't be bothered to look right left right before pulling across the carriageway because they are texting etc.

• Greenie 1

... And can't be bothered to look right left right before pulling across the carriageway because they are texting etc.

My understanding has always been that in order to fly a helicopter you are required to have a degree of intelligence.....

Some of your posts lately have belied that theory.

Edited by The Dog House

You do tend to notice more that sort of thing when biking - mainly because of passing down the line of cars you see more (pass more cars and are well alert) than being in a bubble of a car.

My understanding has always been that in order to fly a helicopter you are required to have a degree of intelligence.....

I've no idea where you got that from, I can assure you its not true. Well, I suppose if you were in a persistent vegetative state it would be tricky, but average intelligence is all that is required.

Just like a helicopter winds itself up to fly, NN is a master winder-upper. Really quite clever. ;)

I've no idea where you got that from, I can assure you its not true. Well, I suppose if you were in a persistent vegetative state it would be tricky, but average intelligence is all that is required.

So how do you manage??

Whilst I agree that many people are likely stupid enough to phone/text whilst driving/ridng, your comment is just as unfair to car drivers as others comments have been about bikers. Once again we tend to notice the idiots, whilst the sane people are invisible.

Whilst I agree that many people are likely stupid enough to phone/text whilst driving/ridng, your comment is just as unfair to car drivers as others comments have been about bikers. Once again we tend to notice the idiots, whilst the sane people are invisible.

Yes I know, but it was tacked onto the end of Starry's post which made exactly that point.

So how do you manage??

I don't, I've retired. (Yippee!)

Yes I know, but it was tacked onto the end of Starry's post which made exactly that point.

I don't, I've retired. (Yippee!)

I see, my apologies.

ps congrats on your retirement,; I too retired three weeks ago and am enjoying an extended cruise. Best job I ever had.

ps congrats on your retirement,; I too retired three weeks ago and am enjoying an extended cruise. Best job I ever had.

Thanks, I'm stretching the truth slightly because my "termination date" as HR lovingly call it, is 1st August, but I don't have to go into work in the mean time.

Nah, you just have to be able to keep the marble in the middle of the tray for a minute or so to get on the course. It's downhill from then on. A bit of weather, a bit of radio and you're home and dry AIUI.

:D

MtB

Helicopters don't fly! They beat the air into submission.

Bob

I used to like Helicopters - but now live on the flightpath between Redhill and Battersea Heliport........... noisy BASTARDS! :)

Luckily it's only Ascot and Epsom Races they seem to get any business.

I didn't in any way suggest that all bikers ignore limits. There are plenty though who do - you see them especially on the roads around here at the end of TT fortnight or after an Oulton Park bike race meeting.

Yes I know there are idiot car drivers as well. We encountered both types on the Woodhead Pass last weekend, one was very lucky not to be wiped out by the other. Possibly not exceeding speed limits in this case, but ignoring double white lines and sensible speeds.

Tim

It grieves me not to be able to ride my bike on the local "biker routes" because they are so full of complete morons who are constantly gambling on their own and others reaction times at speeds over double the limit.

I'd hate to think anyone identifies me with them.

To carry that further, I have just sold my sports bike and bought a 650 twin that is far less likely to lure me into idiocy.

It grieves me not to be able to ride my bike on the local "biker routes" because they are so full of complete morons who are constantly gambling on their own and others reaction times at speeds over double the limit.

I'd hate to think anyone identifies me with them.

To carry that further, I have just sold my sports bike and bought a 650 twin that is far less likely to lure me into idiocy.

I go out on my Edwards Rep Mille on my own at my own times (read very early!) on my own routes and will not ride out with anyone just in case the lure or egging on/showing off/the competive urge gets to me.

If someone tries to engage me in a race, I just ignore - he probably knows the local roads better than me.

Edited by mark99

Funnily enough on Thursday, I was going along on my bike on a 60 limit road at about 55, and four different vehicles (lorries and cars, not other bikes) flashed me. Just me, not the car a bit ahead of me.

I stopped asap in a layby and checked the bike over in a panic, before noticing the mahoosive police speedtrap van just on the bend in front of me.

The fact I was comfortably inside the legal limit but (kindly) got 'look out' flashed by four drivers when the car ahead did not, is, I suppose, very indicative of the fact that many motorists simply assume that bikers are constantly speeding, even when they are not. Either that or some other road users are hyper-aware of bikes and their potential vulnerability, which makes them more alert to bikers and more likely to study what they do carefully, for the protection of both parties.

I don't know which it is, but it is interesting.

Funnily enough Wanted (of this Parish) commented that he lights-flashed a biker one time to warn him of a speed trap, and got given the finger. Cheers, anonymous biker, you're doing all of us a favour there. :rolleyes:

Funnily enough on Thursday, I was going along on my bike on a 60 limit road at about 55, and four different vehicles (lorries and cars, not other bikes) flashed me. Just me, not the car a bit ahead of me.

I stopped asap in a layby and checked the bike over in a panic, before noticing the mahoosive police speedtrap van just on the bend in front of me.

The fact I was comfortably inside the legal limit but (kindly) got 'look out' flashed by four drivers when the car ahead did not, is, I suppose, very indicative of the fact that many motorists simply assume that bikers are constantly speeding, even when they are not. Either that or some other road users are hyper-aware of bikes and their potential vulnerability, which makes them more alert to bikers and more likely to study what they do carefully, for the protection of both parties.

I don't know which it is, but it is interesting.

Funnily enough Wanted (of this Parish) commented that he lights-flashed a biker one time to warn him of a speed trap, and got given the finger. Cheers, anonymous biker, you're doing all of us a favour there. rolleyes.gif

Interesting. It's some years since I had a proper bike, but I often found that truckers showed a lot of respect in general to bikers, far more than many car drivers. Is this still the case?

Edited by Guest

Interesting. It's some years since I had a proper bike, but I often found that truckers showed a lot of respect in general to bikers, far more than many car drivers. Is this still the case?

I agree of late actually (I am biking again this year after 18 months not) and am based at the mo in a very lorry-driving area for the first time. Three of the four vehicles that flashed me were trucks, one car, and no trucks that passed me didn't flash, kinda thing. I wonder if trucks are more careful around bikes because of the greater propensity to damage? I hate passing them and vice versa on the motorway just due to the sheer wind buffeting involved, and am always very careful to stay within range of their mirrors on any road.