Buying Diesel On The Thames

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

My son will be moving my boat from Thrupp on the Oxford Canal down the Thames and in at Limehouse. The diesel tank is getting a little low- it SHOULD have enough in it, but I'd rather not take any chances. Where are the best (i.e. cheapest) places for diesel on the Thames, please? I can only think of Shepperton Marina that I've used before. Does anyone know of any fuel boats out and about in August? I suspect that as no-one will need coal at the moment that the fuel boats may be "on holiday" so to speak. Any advice gratefully received.

Better Boating at Reading are usually reasonable ( for the Thames that is)

I would agree with that and add they advertise they will accept any split (as they should of course). They are sited by the island just downstream of the lock.

Just did a quick search and found this overview of diesel (and pump out) prices on the inland waterways: http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/

Some of it fresh, some quite out of date. Gives an idea of who sells diesel on the Thames, though.

That list is excellent-maybe a little out of date, but it gives me a list of places and some price comparison, so I can plan ahead. Thanks very much to everyone who contributed with information.I should have enough to get me sorted now. Jack

I filled up from Dusty last week at lower heyford.

IIRC Abingdon Bridge was £1.35 60/40 yesterday. but they may do other splits.

He did what ever you want last time I used him

That list is excellent-maybe a little out of date, but it gives me a list of places and some price comparison, so I can plan ahead. Thanks very much to everyone who contributed with information.I should have enough to get me sorted now. Jack

And if you send an email for what you pay it will be more up to date

I filled up from Dusty last week at lower heyford.

IIRC Abingdon Bridge was £1.35 60/40 yesterday. but they may do other splits.

That's a monstrous price given that white diesel is £1.36 for road use!

Better Boating at Reading always used to sell at sensible margins, but last year they took their 'CHEAP DIESEL' sign down so presumably they have decided to stiff the boaters just like Abingdon Bridge etc

MtB

I stupidly filled up at Thames and Kennet in Reading and then asked for an 80/20 split. No chance - it's 60/40 as standard there. Better Boating was closed at the time.

Some local crusties I met later told me they called it Bitter Boating because they guy was so miserable.

Edited by blackrose

I stupidly filled up at Thames and Kennet in Reading and then asked for an 80/20 split. No chance - it's 60/40 as standard there. Better Boating was closed at the time.

Some local crusties I met later told me they called it Bitter Boating because they guy was so miserable.

... We're nice, helpful and reasonably crustless ... and miserable has been their guiding principle towards us the last few visits ... so we now avoid them.

If on the K&A, Greenham Island marina (Newbury) will give you any split you desire ... at about £1.06/ltr non-taxed

Edited by Jim Batty

... We're nice, helpful and reasonably crustless ... and miserable has been their guiding principle towards us the last few visits ... so we now avoid them.

If on the K&A, Greenham Island marina (Newbury) will give you any split you desire ... at about £1.06/ltr non-taxed

Last few visits? We've known them as Bitter Boating for at least five years, the bloke who owns it can moan for England about how awful business is and how it's everybody else's fault. Anyone turning up to spend money there seems fair game. It's one of the reasons I gave up my mooring there and moved to T&K at twice the price... Also has this weird ability to make you feel like he is doing you a HUGE favour taking your money....

MtB

A couple of years ago I filled up at T&K 60/40 however he gave me 35ppl discount which made it cheaper than anywhere else that I could get to even on the canal.

That was for 600l mind