People on outside of boat whilst underway

oasis

Featured Posts

Recently we took visitors for a 6 day cruise. They were insistent on lying on the roof deck and generally cavorting along the gunnels.

I explained to them about the energies involved in moving a narrowboat and the unpredictability of accidents but this led to a simmering undertone to the trip plus my refusal to allow them on the roof deck made me feel like Capt. Bligh.

Eventually I offered to tie up for a few hours each day so that they could sunbathe. Either that or they could join a Saturday evening booze cruise to see first hand how accidents can occur. This was not received very well.

What are the members opinions, should I have let them on the roof deck or not?

I hate seeing people on the roof, particularly kids, accidents waiting to happen. With the weather like this I would have thougth it would be the last place you would want to be, you could fry eggs on our roof.

I also do not like to see people on the roof or gunwales whilst underway.

Too easy to slip off and be sucked onto a turning prop. When moored ok. If nexessary fir handling the boat ok. But certainly not cavorting!

What a pity it all went wrong for you.

It is your boat and you set the rules - you would feel responsible for keeping your visitors safe even if they are set upon doing things that could be dangerous.

Perhaps their idea of what it was going to be like was a bit skewed before they even set foot aboard. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned by the rest of us about giving visitors a full briefing before you get underway. Sometimes an explanation of why something can be a problem assists in their understanding of how it may not be acceptable and therefore people may be more reasonable

• Greenie 1

You could always ask them which way around they were going to lie on the roof. When they want to know why, you can point out you either get a continuous view down their cleavage or up their shorts

Richard

• Greenie 1

What a pity it all went wrong for you.

It is your boat and you set the rules - you would feel responsible for keeping your visitors safe even if they are set upon doing things that could be dangerous.

Perhaps their idea of what it was going to be like was a bit skewed before they even set foot aboard. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned by the rest of us about giving visitors a full briefing before you get underway. Sometimes an explanation of why something can be a problem assists in their understanding of how it may not be acceptable and therefore people may be more reasonable

Good idea. I have produced a "Welkome on Board" sheet that explains that water and power are not unlimited and instructions on how to use the manual flush toilet. Some appreciate it. Some just cannot seem to understand the concept of "limited water and electricity".

Our favourite guests guests are caravanners so they know the concepts required.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can retain a friendship by showing them this post. Some very good answers and they give me room for thought as well.

Recently we took visitors for a 6 day cruise. They were insistent on lying on the roof deck and generally cavorting along the gunnels.I explained to them about the energies involved in moving a narrowboat and the unpredictability of accidents but this led to a simmering undertone to the trip plus my refusal to allow them on the roof deck made me feel like Capt. Bligh.Eventually I offered to tie up for a few hours each day so that they could sunbathe. Either that or they could join a Saturday evening booze cruise to see first hand how accidents can occur. This was not received very well.What are the members opinions, should I have let them on the roof deck or not?

I think you're absolutely right. Not only are accidents possible they'll be blocking your sight lines when steering.

If your boat is anything like mine, if someone manoeuvres along the gunnels and it causes the boat to rock a lot while underway, it can affect the boat's steering when turning too.

On a more serious side, boats aren't designed to be carrying weight up on the roof, so they will be changing the stability

They are also at risk from low bridges

And it makes the boat look like a hire-boat

Richard

You could always ask them which way around they were going to lie on the roof. When they want to know why, you can point out you either get a continuous view down their cleavage or up their shorts

Richard

Thanks for the tip.

On a more serious side, boats aren't designed to be carrying weight up on the roof, so they will be changing the stability

They are also at risk from low bridges

Richard

Did you really say that!

In the interests of authenticity shouldn't you be insisting that guests sit on the roof sporting pirate hats and mankinis?

Apparently Hudsons are working on a replica hire boat with genuine mannequin passengers cavorting on the roof with bottles of l*ger and glasses of Lambrusco.

blush.png

Yes, we start with a significant disadvantage

Richard

In the interests of authenticity shouldn't you be insisting that guests sit on the roof sporting pirate hats and mankinis?

Apparently Hudsons are working on a replica hire boat with genuine mannequin passengers cavorting on the roof with bottles of l*ger and glasses of Lambrusco.

Don't forget the life ring

Richard

Do you find that when you have especially non boaty folk on your boat the first thing they want to do is clamber up and act about on the roof. An old basic instinct I believe left over from horse and carriage days. Railway trains in their infancy had the problem too. I don't allow it either, apart from stability reasons they tend to obscure the steerers view and there are a lot of very low bridges around here and I would most likely have decapitations to explain away.

Edited by bizzard

Did once see 2 hire boats full of lads entering Braunston Tunnel with 4 people stood on each roof.

I really do hope they saw sense and got down before they went too far in!

Did once see 2 hire boats full of lads entering Braunston Tunnel with 4 people stood on each roof.

I really do hope they saw sense and got down before they went too far in!

A couple of weeks ago we passed an Alvechurch hire boat in Wast Hill tunnel, there were very noisy, shouting and blowing the horn etc, as we passed there was one young man sitting in the middle of the roof as quiet as a mouse, he looked scared and very wet. I suspect he got on the roof before they went in the tunnel and did not dare move to get off, and it is very wet in there so he was soaked from the water coming down from the roof.

N-C broken down!!

Bod

It wasn't NC. We were on a friends boat. NC is in fine fettle!

Were you under way, or moored when the photo was taken?

Bod

Under way on Lawsea, our friends boat.

Seems a 5.7 v8 petrol can go slower than a 2.4 diesel.