Scaring the Locals!

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Why not?

He's driving he can choose where to turn around.

Yes, it's his boat so he can choose to do whatever he wants within reason.

I was just asking why he didn't choose to make the manouvre easier for himself and less worrying for those onboard the other boat.

What if you'd picked up a load of weed on the props just as you needed to reverse?

I know you contest that Tupperware boats are tougher then us sewer tube owners think, but I don't think the owner of the moored boat would like to test that theory out.

Exactly. What's the point of doing that if you don't need to?

Completely different ball game to handling a narrowboat. It will stop in its own length and react much quicker to the steering.

Ah, so finally you admit that it's different! clapping.gif

This is not possible without the use of a bowthruster or very skilful/lucky use of a brisk wind.

No BT or brisk wind involved here... just the rudder and about 1000rpm on the engine. The chimney is a few feet forward of the middle of the boat.

The boat that arrives at the bridgehole first has priority.

Unless you happen to be on a river in which case the boat heading downstream may have priority even if the boat heading upstream is in a position to reach the bridge first.

Edited by blackrose

Ah, so finally you admit that it's different! clapping.gif

No BT or brisk wind involved here... just the rudder and about 1000rpm on the engine. The chimney is a few feet forward of the middle of the boat.

Unless you happen to be on a river in which case the boat heading downstream may have priority even if the boat heading upstream is in a position to reach the bridge first.

Just the river current. rolleyes.gif

I should have perhaps added "or on a river" in both instances, it being Canalworld, of course.

For those who venture beyond the ditch spinning any boat is simple if you have the river current or tide on your side.

Just the river current. rolleyes.gif

I should have perhaps added "or on a river" in both instances, it being Canalworld, of course.

For those who venture beyond the ditch spinning any boat is simple if you have the river current or tide on your side.

It's nothing to do with the current - there was very little current the day I videoed that spin - just a bit which took the boat downsteam a few metres but which otherwise didn't affect the manouvre.

I can do exactly the same thing on my boat with no river current. I've done it on a wide part of the canal too. My boat can spin almost within its own length.

Anyway how would the current help? If you're spinning 360 degrees at some point the curent would be against the spin.

I disagree that spinning any boat on a river is simple. I know of several narrowboat owners who can't make their boats spin because the length:width ratio of their boat means it follows the perimeter of a circle rather than spinning.

Edited by blackrose

Anyway how would the current help? If you're spinning 360 degrees at some point the curent would be against the spin.

Which is why you need to be in gear.

It is possible to do a 360 on a river in neutral but you would be travelling with the current while doing it. In gear you can compensate for that movement.

I do not believe that your boat will turn on it's own axis with just forward gear in still water. If it does then you have truly defied the laws of physics.

Nothing you can say here will change my mind on that point (unless you produce proof in the form of a video) so I'll leave it there rather than pander to your love of baiting me. cheers.gif

It is possible to do a 360 on a river in neutral but you would be travelling with the current while doing it. In gear you can compensate for that movement.

I do not believe that your boat will turn on it's own axis with just forward gear in still water. If it does then you have truly defied the laws of physics.

Nothing you can say here will change my mind on that point (unless you produce proof in the form of a video) so I'll leave it there rather than pander to your love of baiting me. cheers.gif

I have no love of baiting you Carl - that's all in your imagination. I was discussing boat handling, but if that's the way you feel and need to carry grudges for years that's up to you.

I also have no desire to change your mind on any matter including this one. Your refusal to be contradicted on any matter on this forum is almost legendary and I'm certainly not the one to change that.

I know my boat can turn within its own axis just with forward gear and others have seen it too. It's nothing to do with defying any laws of physics because the laws of physics don't preclude a boat from spinning if the length;width ratio is right.

There's another video somewhere on the forum of a widebeam doing the same thing - is it Biggle's?

Edit: Perhaps he can tell us where this video was taken - river or still water.

Anyway, next time I go down the the G&S I will shoot another video and post it on the forum. cheers.gif

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

Heres Liam scaring the locals in Saxilby with his boat handing biggrin.png

I apologise now for the glare from the dashboard and windscreen. Must look into that for the next batch of videos

Never mind the boat handling, what is that awful noise (music?) which forms the background.

When I am out boating, apart from the engine which is a mellifluous slow beat, the only noises come from nature.

Each to his own I suppose.

George ex nb Alton retired

Spinning a twin engined cruiser is best achieved by putting one engine in forward and one in reverse. Dead easy, something that cannot be claimed of trying to turn Tesla ;)

Very true. But you do need two engines to be able to put one in forwards and one in reverse!

We only have one.......

When I am out boating, apart from the engine which is a mellifluous slow beat, the only noises come from nature.

Whilst I agree with you, if you have a slow thumping twin or big triple throbbing away in the engine room like the boat's heartbeat, if you have a buzzing volvo penta screaming away at full chat the addition of some high volume music can only improve matters.

Never mind the boat handling, what is that awful noise (music?) which forms the background.

Each to his own I suppose.

George ex nb Alton retired

A bit of Emily Sanday

Whilst I agree with you, if you have a slow thumping twin or big triple throbbing away in the engine room like the boat's heartbeat, if you have a buzzing volvo penta screaming away at full chat the addition of some high volume music can only improve matters.

I must admit it was nice to switch the engine off when we got moored up tonight. There is only so much supercharger whine and turbo whistle one can listen too in one day.

• 2 weeks later...

We have yet to find somewhere we cant spin ours round on the spot. Goes around in the Glory Hole, Lincoln and also in Holme Lock. Although the latter was a bit tightwacko.png

We saw some doing that in locks on the Gt Ouse this week, its just I dont think they intended to captain.gif

• 2 months later...

Not always.

My lifeboat's props were protected in "tunnels" so if you put one engine full forward and the other full astern the boat just carried on what it was doing before, as if you'd knocked it into neutral.

Edited to add: Finding this out whilst trying to spin the boat round in a fast flowing river full of little yachts on swinging moorings was a scary moment.

Yes Have found that as well, drive a Tyne Class Lifeboat when not driving really big stuff or narrow boats! In the Tyne not only are the twin props in a tunnel but also as they are very close to the centre line "splitting the sticks" has little effect. Normally have to use a lot of rudder and a good kick of ahead to get going in the desired direction. Makes close quarter handling interesting.....

Edited by Dharl

I have a bad cold, so I have ideas rolling round in my head tonight - the washing-machine effect!

Carlt is surely right about the physics. You can't turn a boat on its axis with just forward gear. The reality must be that the centre of gravity of the boat executes a circle, no matter how small. A 180 turn must be a u-turn, no matter how tight.

Of course, on a NB you can stick the bows in the mud and pivot around, but that isn't a turn on the boat's axis. The vertical axis runs through the centre of gravity, somewhere near the middle.

Please agree, somebody, so I can sleep.

• Greenie 1

I have a bad cold, so I have ideas rolling round in my head tonight - the washing-machine effect!

Carlt is surely right about the physics. You can't turn a boat on its axis with just forward gear. The reality must be that the centre of gravity of the boat executes a circle, no matter how small. A 180 turn must be a u-turn, no matter how tight.

Of course, on a NB you can stick the bows in the mud and pivot around, but that isn't a turn on the boat's axis. The vertical axis runs through the centre of gravity, somewhere near the middle.

Please agree, somebody, so I can sleep.

even with twin engines it is nearly impossible to do it on your axis without some kind of forward or reverse movement. ASD Tractor tugs on the other hand or similar craft especially designed can do so!

• 6 months later...

ETA: Same crappy glare from the dashboard as the original video as it was the same outing and the same footage.

Must sort that out before next week. Thinking it will probably be better located over the darker blue section of the dashboard rather than the white section. Plus we have polished the screens which may help a little, hopefully.

A circular polarizing filter will probably kill the windshield reflections completely if you orient it right. Also good for looking through the surface of water and making dramatic saturated-color images. Basically it can reject specular reflections (the sharp, shiny kind) off any NON-conducting surface. Won't do a thing for reflections off metal.

• 2 weeks later...

even with twin engines it is nearly impossible to do it on your axis without some kind of forward or reverse movement. ASD Tractor tugs on the other hand or similar craft especially designed can do so!

Like those Switzer tugs on the Thames.......I hate the way they go up the river backwards at high speed....bl**dy showoffs boat.gif