Scaring the Locals!

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

What if you'd picked up a load of weed on the props just as you needed to reverse?

I know you contest that Tupperware boats are tougher then us sewer tube owners think, but I don't think the owner of the moored boat would like to test that theory out.

• Greenie 1

What if you'd picked up a load of weed on the props just as you needed to reverse?

I know you contest that Tupperware boats are tougher then us sewer tube owners think, but I don't think the owner of the moored boat would like to test that theory out.

Then we would have been damned unlucky because it would be the only piece of weed in Saxilby!

On a more serious note it takes a lot of weed to make NC struggle. We would have noticed well before the manoeuvre.

Still looks like pretty provocative steering to me (and perhaps BECAUSE the webcam was recording). although distances are hard to judge on videos. He maybe been further ways than it looks on screen.

I also think the other boat was probably a whole lot more concerned than you were about whether your reverse worked when needed. Have you two been out cruising with Chris Pink recently :D

MtB

They often do. When you are on a relatively small waterway with relatively large boats on it they have to get close to turn around. So no it doesn't bother us.

How do you get on if you don't like other boats being on close quarters?

We never doubted it would go in reverse. It's a manoeuvre we have used many, many times.

Other people don't know that mind! Worries others more than it worries us.

I bet the people who's boats' gear selection mechanism failed, or the propeller fell off at that critical time, were equally convinced that their boat would go into reverse!

• Greenie 2

Our props can't fall off with how they are attached to the shaft. It would have to be a catastrophic failure of the shafts for that to occur!

Yes mechanical items can wear or break but if you thought like that all of the time you wouldn't go anywhere.

No boats were touched or harmed in the making of this video.

No what I am saying is, your actions are less safe than if you did the manoeuvre in a slightly different way. You turned what should have been a non-critical operation (ie one where mechanical failure wouldn't have led to a mishap) into a critical one (where mechanical failure more than likely would have resulted in a collision). Of course, nobody plans for a mechanical failure to occur. At the same time, nobody thinks that their boat is 100% reliable. Yet other boaters still remain relatively safe.

I admit I enjoyed scaring the tupperware boat owners in Burton Waters marina when we turned Keeping Up (67ft of lovely thick steel) around on a windy day, using lots of power to swing around so we could reverse to the service jetty.

No what I am saying is, your actions are less safe than if you did the manoeuvre in a slightly different way. You turned what should have been a non-critical operation (ie one where mechanical failure wouldn't have led to a mishap) into a critical one (where mechanical failure more than likely would have resulted in a collision). Of course, nobody plans for a mechanical failure to occur. At the same time, nobody thinks that their boat is 100% reliable. Yet other boaters still remain relatively safe.

It was never a critical manoeuvre!

The boat was in neutral as it approached the boat in the turn. Just prior to that it was at the slowest it will travel in gear. Reverse was engaged and she pulled away as expected keeping the props away from the shallow water on the opposite bank.

We chose not to moor in the first gap as it was a big gap more suited to a larger boat so went for the smaller gap ahead where we had lite choice but to get close to the second boat. Again she was travelling as slow as she will go in gear.

Yes it may be quicker than your average narrowboat actually cruises at but you quickly get used to that and use it to your advantage.

I admit I enjoyed scaring the tupperware boat owners in Burton Waters marina when we turned Keeping Up (67ft of lovely thick steel) around on a windy day, using lots of power to swing around so we could reverse to the service jetty.

Not ideally located for narrowboats is it?

Ok no worries, I can't tell where the controls etc were doing at what time, I was just going off the (poor quality) video. If you are happy that its safe, that's ok with me too.

Perfectly happy. Not let us down in five years.

Completely different ball game to handling a narrowboat. It will stop in its own length and react much quicker to the steering. You can spin it on the spot given good conditions.

I don't think you actually scared anyone did you, I didn't see anyone at the windows with horrer on there faces, nobody jumped up and down shouting and if they are all plastic boat owners they would have know full well that your boat would have completed the manoeuver with Ease. So it begs the question which locals did you actually scare.

Darren

I don't think you actually scared anyone did you, I didn't see anyone at the windows with horrer on there faces, nobody jumped up and down shouting and if they are all plastic boat owners they would have know full well that your boat would have completed the manoeuver with Ease. So it begs the question which locals did you actually scare.

Darren

'twas a mere joke!

No locals were harmed or alarmed in the slightest. It is usually narrow boaters that show signs of alarm as we approach them at what they perceive to be high speed.

I'm sure if I look through the video footage (all four hours of it) for long enough I can find one for you.

Completely different ball game to handling a narrowboat. It will stop in its own length and react much quicker to the steering. You can spin it on the spot given good conditions.

I disagree. I can stop my 68ft narrowboat ALDEBARAN in his own length ;) I can also and spin him on the spot given some luck and a wide enough bit of river :D

MtB

I disagree. I can stop my 68ft narrowboat ALDEBARAN in his own length wink.png I can also and spin him on the spot given some luck and a wide enough bit of river biggrin.png

MtB

We have yet to find somewhere we cant spin ours round on the spot. Goes around in the Glory Hole, Lincoln and also in Holme Lock. Although the latter was a bit tightwacko.png