Scaring the Locals!

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Spinning around on the spot means it was done in one move and no reverse needed.

This is not possible without the use of a bowthruster or very skilful/lucky use of a brisk wind.

Judicious use of reverse would enable any boat to spin on the spot in ideal conditions and with a competent steerer.

Spinning around on the spot means it was done in one move and no reverse needed.

Darren

No it doesn't.

I would have thought it's a bit dodgy posting videos of being a clever-dick should you happen to make a future insurance claim.

There is no being a clever dick at all.

That is how we moor our boat. As I said before completely different to a narrowboat. Lets not forget that we are travelling at going on for 3mph in tickover. Faster than most narrowboaters cruise at!

A steerable outdrive or even a rudder steered boat like that would whip round virtually in its own length if brought to a complete standstill first, helm put hard over and the throttle whacked open.

A steerable outdrive or even a rudder steered boat like that would whip round virtually in its own length if brought to a complete standstill first, helm put hard over and the throttle whacked open.

It will but people tend to get a little upset if you pull that stunt on the ditch!

I would have thought it's a bit dodgy posting videos of being a clever-dick should you happen to make a future insurance claim.

Just to prove that this was not "clever-dick" driving, here is Naughty-Cal earlier on the same trip delivering some friends back to their mooring to pick up their car. We had to raft up on another narrowboat as their mooring is too shallow for us to get in. Bit of confusion at the beginning as skipper heads for the wrong boat!!!

ETA: Same crappy glare from the dashboard as the original video as it was the same outing and the same footage.

Must sort that out before next week. Thinking it will probably be better located over the darker blue section of the dashboard rather than the white section. Plus we have polished the screens which may help a little, hopefully.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Now I've got a boat that really scares people, and I wish it didn't. (I wouldn't wish the boat any different of course, I just wish people weren't so easily scared) The number of times someone tries to stop dead in front of me and ends up slewed across the cut when they could quite easily have steered past.... And of course, in order to avoid things, I have to spend some time looking as if I'm headed straight for them. In general the waterways would be a better place if people worried less about stopping and concentrated more on steering.

Now I've got a boat that really scares people, and I wish it didn't. (I wouldn't wish the boat any different of course, I just wish people weren't so easily scared) The number of times someone tries to stop dead in front of me and ends up slewed across the cut when they could quite easily have steered past.... And of course, in order to avoid things, I have to spend some time looking as if I'm headed straight for them. In general the waterways would be a better place if people worried less about stopping and concentrated more on steering.

Yes but the upside is that you can scare people into holding back as you approach a bridge hole, even when they are much nearer to it than you are.

Yes but the upside is that you can scare people into holding back as you approach a bridge hole, even when they are much nearer to it than you are.

But I hate it when that happens! I see it's their bridge, I slow down to give them plenty of time to get through, then I realise they've slowed down too, so I reluctantly start to come through, then they realise I've slowed down and they start to come, so I slow down again, end up in the mud and out of position, and THEN (and this is the maddening bit) once they're through they keep going REALLY SLOWLY isntead of getting out of the way so that I can get through without actually ending with my fore end against the bridge! If it's your bridge, speed up, get through and get out of the way!

I wish that boats with additional requirements ie very heavy, deep draft, and above all, towing, had a distinctive flag at the front that was obvious to even a dumbo like me, so that I can judge priorities at bridges better.

I wish that boats with additional requirements ie very heavy, deep draft, and above all, towing, had a distinctive flag at the front that was obvious to even a dumbo like me, so that I can judge priorities at bridges better.

The boat that arrives at the bridgehole first has priority.

As someone who spent a lot of time dragging a butty around I think it would be nice if folk gave way to boats with a tow (and often they did) but it is not always possible to see if there is a butty behind until it is too late (or so I was often told as I jack-knifed the pair trying to get out of the way).

One of the funniest things I saw was a hire boat waiting patiently for Ivor Batchelor to come through a bridge hole on Mountbatten only to charge through before Jellicoe had followed, wedging both hire boat and Jellicoe firmly under the bridge.

I didn't realise it was humanly possible to turn the shade of purple that Ivor's face did, as his stack prepared to blow.

I will remember that next time I come across you stuck on the bottom trying to get off a mooring, I will just charge past rather than waiting. ;-)

Unloaded GU boats scary? no, Parglena was scary when on the cut.

is it just me, or did other northerners also think..." we dont see nice boats like that oop ere???"

(I've decided I'm a northerner, cause when I left SA, I settled in the NorthEast, and picked up all the northern slang, and have felt out of place in Manchester till now..back in Burnley and northerner accents are back in fashion.....everyone is saying HIYA instead of HELLOOOO )

I will remember that next time I come across you stuck on the bottom trying to get off a mooring, I will just charge past rather than waiting. ;-)

Unloaded GU boats scary? no, Parglena was scary when on the cut.

Well you might not find them scary, and you're quite right not to, but sadly lots of people seem to.

And I don't claim any special requirements or ask for any special treatment. Just keep going and keep steering like you (hopefully) would with any other boat. I can look after my own boat, I just wish everyone else would stop worrying about mine and concentrate on their own.

Well you might not find them scary, and you're quite right not to, but sadly lots of people seem to.

Don't make it all sound to difficult if you are expecting me to "drive" the beast next week!

I'm definitely a novice with a full length boat, and would strongly prefer it if not too many people coming the other way have heavy moments of indecision.

(Sickle is rather different, by the way - it looks tiny from the front, so people tend to assess it as just another boat, and not realise it can't just make for the shallows like a leisure boat can - a very different reaction often to what you get with a "big" boat with its bows high out of the water, but the potential difficulties are not actually very dissimilar with each!).

But I hate it when that happens! I see it's their bridge, I slow down to give them plenty of time to get through, then I realise they've slowed down too, so I reluctantly start to come through, then they realise I've slowed down and they start to come, so I slow down again, end up in the mud and out of position, and THEN (and this is the maddening bit) once they're through they keep going REALLY SLOWLY isntead of getting out of the way so that I can get through without actually ending with my fore end against the bridge! If it's your bridge, speed up, get through and get out of the way!

Oh that is so true!

And one of the worst examples I encountered was a boat emblazoned with the name of a well known helmsman training organisation. The instructor obviously had no idea how to pass a deep-drafted working boat.

Oh that is so true!

And one of the worst examples I encountered was a boat emblazoned with the name of a well known helmsman training organisation. The instructor obviously had no idea how to pass a deep-drafted working boat.

Even with my little boat I just play chicken with all oncoming boats just to see who blinks first,

with the barge it was great fun :)

This is not possible without the use of a bowthruster or very skilful/lucky use of a brisk wind.

Judicious use of reverse would enable any boat to spin on the spot in ideal conditions and with a competent steerer.

Spinning a twin engined cruiser is best achieved by putting one engine in forward and one in reverse. Dead easy, something that cannot be claimed of trying to turn Tesla ;)

The boat that arrives at the bridgehole first has priority.

As someone who spent a lot of time dragging a butty around I think it would be nice if folk gave way to boats with a tow (and often they did) but it is not always possible to see if there is a butty behind until it is too late (or so I was often told as I jack-knifed the pair trying to get out of the way).

One of the funniest things I saw was a hire boat waiting patiently for Ivor Batchelor to come through a bridge hole on Mountbatten only to charge through before Jellicoe had followed, wedging both hire boat and Jellicoe firmly under the bridge.

I didn't realise it was humanly possible to turn the shade of purple that Ivor's face did, as his stack prepared to blow.

that almost happened to me last year before braunston festival steering atlas with malus in tow. Came out of the last Bridge on the corner before Hawkesbury and a shiny boat was coming full pelt the other way. He didn't slow down and had a look of horror when he saw the Butty coming through. ... ended up t-boning the opposite bank.

I continued....

It's happened to me twice (oncoming boat hits the boat I'm towing, in a bridge hole). I guess the first time was partly my fault because the boat I was towing didn't have any lights; I just didn't expect to meet any other boats that long after dark, and he didn't have a light either. The second time the guy coming the other way was just impatient, after the bang in the bridge hole he said he was happy to wait for one boat but didn't see why the hell he should wait for the second one (which was on cross-straps BTW)

Don't make it all sound to difficult if you are expecting me to "drive" the beast next week!

I'm definitely a novice with a full length boat, and would strongly prefer it if not too many people coming the other way have heavy moments of indecision.

(Sickle is rather different, by the way - it looks tiny from the front, so people tend to assess it as just another boat, and not realise it can't just make for the shallows like a leisure boat can - a very different reaction often to what you get with a "big" boat with its bows high out of the water, but the potential difficulties are not actually very dissimilar with each!).

Just put the ice ram back on...

Spinning a twin engined cruiser is best achieved by putting one engine in forward and one in reverse. Dead easy, something that cannot be claimed of trying to turn Tesla wink.png

Not always.

My lifeboat's props were protected in "tunnels" so if you put one engine full forward and the other full astern the boat just carried on what it was doing before, as if you'd knocked it into neutral.

Edited to add: Finding this out whilst trying to spin the boat round in a fast flowing river full of little yachts on swinging moorings was a scary moment.

Edited by carlt