Towing a workshop

Caro

Featured Posts

Hi, something my husband would like to get eventually is a workshop to tow behind our boat, he is a carpenter joiner and wants to do boat refurbishments, i was wondering what this thing would be called, it would have no engine and be about 15 to 20 ft long, it could be a wreck and preferably as cheap as chips, would we need a license for it ? and how much do you think we would need to pay if we ever found one, thanks.

Unless it has no "pointy ends" and is just a floating pontoon "box" largely square, then 15 to 20 feet will probably not give very much workshop.

Swings and roundabouts though, because whilst "pointy ends" will use up a lot of the length, the result will be something that probably tows far better and creates far less wash.

You will have to buy a separate licence, and may get a shock when you know what it will cost, as even the cheapest CRT "canals and rivers" licence costs not far off £500 for a year, I think, (although obviously 10% less if you pay promptly for a whole year). I don't believe it is any cheaper because the boat is unpowered.

This is exactly the thing that I want. I saw a couple of people with something simalar, but then haven't been able to find one for sale, although I was pleasantly surprised by the cost boat builders would charge to have one custom made. For a workshop you dont need a huge amount of expensive stuff. Just shell, insulation, generator and tools.

Keep us updated, ill be interested to see if you do buy something.

As an outsider to the boating community this might be a stupid suggestion but:-

Could you buy a hull & attach it to your boat with a perm flexi joint (think bendy bus but simpler with no internal access) & then pay for one boat at the longer per foot rate?

Would 1 x 80 foot boat be cheaper than 1 x 50 foot & 1 x 30 foot?

Edited by Justme

All licence charges are listed on a download from C&RT.

If the boat you are towing has no engine it should qualify as a "Butty" and under the discounts listed in the regulations, a butty over 50 feet long gets a 50% discount so long as you license it at the same date as the motor.

Same but different idea, so slighlty off topic.

If you have say a 25` NB towing a 50` Butty then it will be cheaper all round and you can use the Butty as a the living part and tow boat just as the well tow boat

or would this not work as the use of a Butty, i ma not sure on the uses allowed on them.

just an idea

dam good idea to get cheap licence fee`s :)

Same but different idea, so slighlty off topic.

If you have say a 25` NB towing a 50` Butty then it will be cheaper all round and you can use the Butty as a the living part and tow boat just as the well tow boat

or would this not work as the use of a Butty, i ma not sure on the uses allowed on them.

just an idea

25' "Motor" will not be a very controllable boat though, particularly if towing 50' of butty.

Also this combination is unlikely to fit many narrow locks, which means working them all twice.

Have you been and looked at pricing ?.....

25 foot boat £589.38

50 foot butty £412.73 (Half of £826.46)

Total £1002.11

Almost exactly the same as a 70 foot boat (£1028.00), but the latter will be far less trouble, and offer far more accommodation.

dam good idea to get cheap licence fee`s smile.png

As you see, it isn't really!

Hi, something my husband would like to get eventually is a workshop to tow behind our boat, he is a carpenter joiner and wants to do boat refurbishments, i was wondering what this thing would be called, it would have no engine and be about 15 to 20 ft long, it could be a wreck and preferably as cheap as chips, would we need a license for it ? and how much do you think we would need to pay if we ever found one, thanks.

Hi, from your intended use of the towed boat CaRT will require you to buy a Business licence, that is once you have jumped through a load of hoops for them to allow you to trade.

CaRT Business Trading Craft licence was over £1000 last year for an 18 ft boat. Over £1300 for a 25ft boat.

cheers.gif

A

25' "Motor" will not be a very controllable boat though, particularly if towing 50' of butty.

Also this combination is unlikely to fit many narrow locks, which means working them all twice.

Have you been and looked at pricing ?.....

25 foot boat £589.38

50 foot butty £412.73 (Half of £826.46)

Total £1002.11

Almost exactly the same as a 70 foot boat (£1028.00), but the latter will be far less trouble, and offer far more accommodation.

As you see, it isn't really!

Well it was good while it lasted, the sizes were just plucked out of the air, max 70` length then in total then.

BUT if you have long enough tow rop then you can lock together in wide locks :)

Not thinking of doing it, just fed up

I did a similar thing for my workshop, but i did choose a full length butty, to be honest If it were just for a workshop i'd be able to do away with the back cabin and one of the bays that would reduce the length needed to perhaps 45' but i would consider that a minimum length for a wood workshop (for my tastes)

Paul

It's been tried and the Waterways get right sniffy about it.

The favourite would be two boats the same length permanently joined side by side on one license.

i got away with that all last year, both boats fixed together by welded chains, then they refused to allow it, i asked them to show me where or why it was breaking the licence conditions, byelaws, or anything else, they still havent told me any sensible reason.

Plus you would be a regulated trader now, and need a MCA, RYA or similar boat handling qualification.

Edited by onionbargee

There are at least 3 of these on the K&A, 2 of which are flat/square front and back to give maximum work space within the length of the boat. I think calling them a butty is a bit optimistic and so "shed" is probably a better name. The third is an old concrete boat which is just about boat shaped but so poor hydrodynamically that it tows better backwards. This one really is used as a shed rather than a workshop.

If you can meet the requirements of a low risk trader then the licence is not much more expensive than a standard leisure licence.

Don' invite customers on to the boat and keep any power tools well hidden!

Getting an old right off/fire damaged boat might be a cheap option. If you strip out all the lining any welding repairs would be pretty easy!

.................Dave

If by the welded chains you mean it might be classed as one boat, I thought something similar and it is still my intention to make a folding narrowboat. - which when unfolded makes a very long boat, but can fold for ease or mooring :)

There is one on the Gt. Ouse and he tows it with a normal drawbar and 50mm ball.

Can't find the picture right now but I have posted it before.

Its quite a large lorry back on a dumb barge.

I think after discussions with the other half we may get a bit longer boat and he can use the stern end for his workshop, on a widebeam 10 ft in length extra will be big enough, so thats now a 65ft x 10ft sailaway rolleyes.gif

There is one on the Gt. Ouse and he tows it with a normal drawbar and 50mm ball.

Can't find the picture right now but I have posted it before.

Its quite a large lorry back on a dumb barge.

And often has a second one as well.