Cratch unwanted

frahkn

Featured Posts

I am in the final stages of buying a boat.

The first thing to be done is to remove the cratch - I mean the glazed wooden triangle and the top plank (there is no cratch cover).

I was just going to throw this away, or use it for firewood, but I thought someone went to trouble making it and someone might have use for it now.

If anyone is interested, I can get measurements etc. or should I stick to the first plan?

stick a piccy on here, then folks can see if it will be right for their boats.

Failing interest on here, stick it in a BW refuse bin yard - but not in a bin - it will disappear quickly - great recycling venues these- intended or not.

someone will 'ave it.

Richard,

It's partly personal - I don't like cratch covers and will never buy one for this boat so don't see the point of retaining the structure for holding one up.

Also, the boat has a tug like deck so a cratch looks odd.

Matty40s

Piccys will have to wait until I have worked out how to post them - which, to be honest, is not a priority just now.

Goodgurl,

It's free - it's not enough firewood to charge for!

Before getting rid of the cratch board it might be an idea to see where any rain water drains.

Our boat has a Reeves hull with a full depth cratch. Any water which gets in this area drains to the engine bilge via a tube down the length of the boat on each side.

A cratch cover is essential in our case as we do not live aboard. I endeavour to visit the boat once a week at least but occasionally once a fortnight. If we left the cratch area open to the elements a lot of water could drain into the engine bilge. We also have an automatic bilge pump as a additional safety measure.

Edited by Ray T

I too am interested as the front boarding has rotted.. I use the space under for storage, so find it useful, although I agree I wouldn't have it otherwise

I can travel southern parts of the UK up to say Liverpool area ...

Nick

Vicvdb & Nickhlx,

I am on the GU in the midlands, soon moving to a new mooring on the T&M.

The sale of the boat has not completed yet but the funds are with the broker so it will probably be this weekend.

I suppose Vicvdb has first refusal on a first come....basis. I'll let you both know when the boat is finally mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Because they look naff and are a pain in the aress?

Tim

Each to their own. It's the place where I tend to spend most of my time. Shade in the hot weather, shelter in the wet & with the front doors open, warm in the winter. A place to dry a wet dog --- I could go on.