What's in a name?

Featured Posts

We all see the wierd and wonderful names of other boats we encounter every day, some are amusing, corny, obscure or quite common. I often wonder how some of them came about, and I was wondering how you others came upon your naming of your boat and the reasons behind them. For example I recently found out that my boat Hobo was named after the previous owner's dog after it won a category at Crufts.

It wouldn't have been my choice of name but I'm comfortable with it, but when it comes to re-painting in a few years time I might consider re-naming it to Comfortably Numb, my favourite tune of all time, or leave it as Hobo. So another question is how many of you were happy to keep the name when you bought the boat?

'The Dog House' was so called because the previous owners owned and ran a boarding kennel.

We had planned to change it but after the first couple of times out it proved to be such a good conversation starter in locks with other boaters or with 'gongoozlers' we decide to keep it.

We had the advantage with it being a new build that we could choose the name. So it was originally the OH school nick name (we met at school) and then as a surprise she added my school nick name.

I do remember when we were looking at second hand boats thinking that the boats name had a lot more influence on whether we looked at it than it should. Not logical as I have no problem changing the name of a boat, but it did seem to make a difference.

I do remember when we were looking at second hand boats thinking that the boats name had a lot more influence on whether we looked at it than it should. Not logical as I have no problem changing the name of a boat, but it did seem to make a difference.

I actually agree with that too.

There was as you say no logical reason for it but it did come into play for us also.

We bought our boat, originally named 'Kestrel', in a rather sad condition (the boat, not us). As we worked on an almost total refit, turning it into a much happier boat, we decided to change the name as well. The OH is Canadian, and we chose the name of the city where we had our honeymoon. Hence 'Québec'...which we thought had a nice ring to it.

Edited by Québec

Our boat in all practicalities is called 'promises' which makes me want to vomit, so, I plan to change the name soon. We have toyed with two names, one being 'Bedlam' after a soundsystem that I used to stomp too, however we have now decided on Mudlark, Mudlarks (the people) were essentially Thames Scavengers, we live almost on the Thames and have been known to find the odd bargain via a skip so it seems apt.

To be honest the name thing doesn't bother massively, my original idea was to paint a panel in blackboard paint and chalk a different name when ever I felt like it, that idea was overruled though :(

• Greenie 1

I was convinced that we would change the name of our boat as soon as possible after we bought it but now 6 years later we still haven't done it.

I still think the name is a bit soppy (lady Moonlight) but we have got used to it now and it does have the advantage of being the only one registered with CRT. Changing isn't that simple either as it is not painted in a panel at the back of the boat but sign written further down. It will probably take a repaint of each side which we would like to do at some point but it will be less obvious now if we keep the name or not.

Our boat was called Davy Jones when we bought it but didn't like it being named after the bottom of the sea or a dead Monkee (although I did like them) so we renamed her Wet 'n' Wild - (1) because one of our favourite dance tunes has that name and (2) well let's put it this way, I'm the Wild one ;)

Leo No2 was named after the builder's (and original owners) grandson but it was the second boat they built that they named Leo so that's why mine is Leo No2. It's not my choice but I couldn't see any over-riding reason to change it and it is nice and short. Interestingly both boats still retain their original names.

Our boat in all practicalities is called 'promises' which makes me want to vomit...

Isn't that a Buzzcocks number? First thing that came into my head when I saw it, and now I have an earworm, which is not a bad earworm, so you are forgiven. I hope that association settles your stomach a little.

Being an enthusiast of classic or vintage boats I have always renamed my boats back to the original, where possible, even if inappropriate or a mouthful ("Peter and Sarah Blake" was both too long and led to me being called "Peter" on several occasions)

I actually preferred the name my current boat had when I bought it but, because it's a classic ex-hireboat I still gave it its original name back.

We have toyed with two names, one being 'Bedlam' after a soundsystem that I used to stomp too.

As I frequented parties organised by the soundsystem "T.W.A.T.S." that option is not available to me.

Isn't that a Buzzcocks number?

At least he didn't name it "Orgasm Addict".

Isn't that a Buzzcocks number? First thing that came into my head when I saw it, and now I have an earworm, which is not a bad earworm, so you are forgiven. I hope that association settles your stomach a little.

A great tune it is too, I wonder if the Buzzcocks also used a similar picture of a Felix type cat amongst a pot of geraniums for their cover sleeve? ( it's really bad)

We had decided upon our boat's name years before we ever bought her.....for we had thought that if we were ever lucky enough to own a boat - then it would be as 'special' as living an a 'grace and favour' property

smiley_offtopic.gif but the juxtaposition of my signature and yours is poetry in its purest form.

The first boat we owned was called Toby which we liked & kept despite it's devilish overtones.

Our current boat was a new build & we wanted a short name similar to Toby's as we liked the short, sharp cadence of it. We had 2 names in the frame, Tilly & T'Pau.

Tilly, after my great, great grandmother on my father's side by way of deference towards my parents for all their help & support & the family connection. The real Tilly was born in India & we have a diary written at the time which makes fascinating reading, she married a Russian called Nickolai who anglicised his name to Nickels.

T'Pau because I'm a bit of a Trekkie, as opposed to Trekker (there is a difference), & I was going to put "L.L & P Carrying Co." on the side.

The superior one prevailed & we chose Tilly which, in hindsight, was a good call as the L.L & P bit would've ended up being a tad embarrassing & we'd have missed out on meeting all the little girls called Tilly we've met over the years who's parents took pictures of them standing next to the boat's name. We have a picture of the adult Matilda "Tilly" Nickels from 1883 on board.

Edited by Spuds

A great tune it is too, I wonder if the Buzzcocks also used a similar picture of a Felix type cat amongst a pot of geraniums for their cover sleeve? ( it's really bad)

Ah...

The superior one prevailed & we chose Tilly which, in hindsight, was a good call as the L.L & P bit would've ended up being a tad embarrassing ...

Really? I quite like Star Trek myself, and I had to google the T'Pau reference. I think you'd have been disavowing a carol decker fetish most of the time.

Which reminds me...

Batman smashes a villain over the head with a vase and exclaims "T'PAU!"

"Don't you mean KERPOW!"? asks Robin.

"No, I've got china in my hand".

• Greenie 4

We were told that our boat was named after the original owner's grandmother, Polly, who was born on a narrowboat moored outside the Hollybush pub. It's a nice story, with a real canal history, so why change it? smile.png

The barge when we brought it was Frouwe Vogels ( Early Bird) but we changed it back to its earliest recorded name 1943 Fantotank 9

It keeps all the splitters looking on the Thames for Fantotank 1 to 8 LOL
Chris

Greenie because you obviously put your heart and soul into that one.

Ah...

Really? I quite like Star Trek myself, and I had to google the T'Pau reference. I think you'd have been disavowing a carol decker fetish most of the time.

Which reminds me...

Carol who? wink.png

Great joke, I'd forgotton that one. laugh.png

I inherited Ocelot and quite liked it

It was unique as well, but now another one has appeared on Jim Sheads list

Is your's the one on display at Chatham Dockyard?

Now, I'd love to see THAT chuggin' down the SO!