towpath health and safety assessment

magnetman

Featured Posts

does anyone know if it is possible to request that a health and safety assessment be carried out on the towpath?

the bikes are a nightmare..

:rolleyes:

are crt in breach of a duty of care (he says, hopefully)

I would have thought they should have done a general risk assessment for bikes on towpaths. Probably not for any particular stretch of towpath. Again I am not sure but I see no reason why if you feel it is a danger you couldn't ask them for a risk assessment.

I am sure somebody with more knowledge will come along and tell me I am barking up the wrong tree.

My heart is with you with my head says don't go there!

Knowing CaRT the outcome might be to ban boaters and walkers and make it an exclusive high speed cycleway!

........Dave

• Greenie 1

You should see the speed they come down the slope at the Bingly Five Rise. That also being a so called "honey pot" location means that it does have lots of walkers and children there as well as the bikers.

Shall we have a winge about anglers as well while we are at it LOL. Mind you that might be too controversial

SWMBO and I talked about this a couple of days ago, while passing through Stoke.

Please don't ask for Cart to get involved in H&S, or every lock will be fenced off, and we will all have to wear High Vis!!

SWMBO and I talked about this a couple of days ago, while passing through Stoke.

Please don't ask for Cart to get involved in H&S, or every lock will be fenced off, and we will all have to wear High Vis!!

I am afraid either you or CRT have the wrong idea about H & S.

I was holding onto the middle rope of my widebeam, in a roaring wind, trying to pull it towards the towpath, when this runner....comes totting up ..and without thinking perhaps he should step round me, shouts....(as he approaches at full pace) .....excuseeeee meeeeeee...

landbasedidjit.

I am afraid either you or CRT have the wrong idea about H & S.

I know it's not H&S who make the silly rules. They are very organised and practical.

It's local authorities, education departments etc, who take things too far, and want to remove all risks.

But cycling in the vicinity of locks is already banned, is it not? As with so many of similar matters, enforcement, or the threat of enforcement, is missing and so leads to abuse.

Also, some of us can remember what towpaths were like but a few decades ago. The immense improvement (many were impassable for long stretches) is down to walkers and cyclists - the funding has come from LAs for thier use not from boaters specifically.

Ban walkers and cyclists (or make it sufficiently unpleasant for them and we will soon be back where we were before,

You should see the speed they come down the slope at the Bingly Five Rise. That also being a so called "honey pot" location means that it does have lots of walkers and children there as well as the bikers.

Shall we have a winge about anglers as well while we are at it LOL. Mind you that might be too controversial

Also, some of us can remember what towpaths were like but a few decades ago.

I used to love the fact that BW used to use the towpaths as a place to dump dredgeings, that would stop the cyclists :)

Mike Todd is right about the funding of towpath renovation. That doesn't excuse idiocy by any of the users though.

What is needed, as elsewhere in life, is a bit of thought and care for others. Sadly our society doesn't encourage this.

Some education and some enforcement of existing rules might help.