Kielder, North Northumberland to London by canal?

Featured Posts

Just been on Look North News that they will be discussing the proposal for a canal from Kielder Water to London to help the South in times of drought.

No details given as yet - and I have to go to work!

Two things!

• Cost - many hundreds of millions of pounds perhaps?
  • Volume of water - does Kielder get enough water to provide the South as well as the North?

oh - three things! Flood your own 2,500 acres of open countryside and get your own water!

Interesting!

I had heard that the goverment was demanding that water companies invest in schemes for flood control on a national level. The specific rumours I have heard was that one of the ways some of them plan do do so is to make more rivers canalised so the flow is controllable. A side effect of this is that they can be navigable.

I have also heard that in at least one case the plan is to create a new canalised river making the project a training exerciseso the water company will be able to train up new engineers during the creation of the waterway and in doing so will gain the benefits of grants available for training.

More waterways for us boaters to chug along is, of course, a rather lovely benefit this scheme could create. The fact that a line drawn between Kielder and London could nicely wiggle it's way along The Rother Valley would fit in with some whispers I had heard about The Rother Valley Link.

Well Kielder is a white elephant at the moment. The industry for which it was created no longer exists, so Northumberland Water may as well sell it to the south, and at least recoup some money. Oh, hang on, isn't Northumberland Water owned by a French company? unsure.png

Why on earth would they build a canal instead of a pipeline?

Richard

I don't think it would be much cheaper, but it would offer other benefits perhaps that a pipeline does not. Family picnic overlooking the water pipe anyone?

That said a pipe line would lose less water through evaporation and reduce northern attempts to poison their southern cousins

Why on earth would they build a canal instead of a pipeline?

Richard

don't knock it my boat doesn't do pipelines!

BTW this proposal has been around for years, ever since the drought which caused tankers to carry water from Teesside to Yorkshire. If I remember correctly the talk at the time was to build canal from Teesside (maybe Kielder water pipelines already exist for the heavy industry of the time) along the River Tees up the River Leven joining it to the River Wiske then into the Swale and down the Ouse then onto the main system.

I don't think it would be much cheaper, but it would offer other benefits perhaps that a pipeline does not. Family picnic overlooking the water pipe anyone?

That said a pipe line would lose less water through evaporation and reduce northern attempts to poison their southern cousins

And not have to be built level, and can be buried, and doesn't need major earthworks, bridges...

And so on

Richard

I should have guessed.

Any news on the Liverpool to Birmingham ship canal yet?

Richard

The actual proposal, the last of a series, was made towards the end of the war for a canal from the Weaver to Wolverhampton. There were earlier ones described as Liverpool to Birmingham.

Edited to add that the current proposals have quoted two articles on my website in their brochure, so it must be realistic!

Edited by Pluto

Just been on Look North News that they will be discussing the proposal for a canal from Kielder Water to London to help the South in times of drought.

No details given as yet - and I have to go to work!

Two things!

• Cost - many hundreds of millions of pounds perhaps?
  • Volume of water - does Kielder get enough water to provide the South as well as the North?

oh - three things! Flood your own 2,500 acres of open countryside and get your own water!

The water out of kielder has never been used for the north in fact it exported to Gibrater and other med countreies there is a pipe line from kielder down to Middlesbrough where it can be loaded on to water tankers.

capacity of kielder is 190 million liters of water.

If a canal is built it would not cost much more to extentd it north in to the scottish canal network.

The water out of kielder has never been used for the north in fact it exported to Gibrater and other med countreies there is a pipe line from kielder down to Middlesbrough where it can be loaded on to water tankers.

capacity of kielder is 190 million liters of water.

If a canal is built it would not cost much more to extentd it north in to the scottish canal network.

Missing a few noughts there Kielder is a 1000 times bigger than than :)

Missing a few noughts there Kielder is a 1000 times bigger than than :)

sorry missed of 000 should have been 190,000 mil ltrs apporx

Or enough water to flush all the toilets in England once

Edited by davidc