boaters target boaters

Trix

Featured Posts

Are you, I thought actually you weren't? Or maybe its just that CRT are now saying they are not fussed due to their electronic boat tracking gadgets?

They can check your boat's licence status based on it's index number. Yes.

I could link to the pages where they say it's good to display a licence and why it's a requirement to do so but can't be arsed to be honest.

Okay,so maybe I don't know what the little sticky in the window is called that looks something like 02/12, but I am not so stupid that I don't know unless it says 10/13, then the bast**d shouldn't have his boat in the water. And when I finally get my boat, then I don't think I will have any issues turning those same bast**ds in. Just saying.

Another person who is without sin. It is a privilege to be in the presence of such a paragon.

Really??????? I know they are not because the marina manager said they have been sitting in the same place rotting and haven't moved an inch for as long as he has been boating on the canal. And I never said I didn't like their looks, only that they looked like crap from sitting forever without any attention. I would turn in a brand new shiny looking boat if it had an expired sticker.

Somebody please throw this harridan in the river.

An Interesting discussion from two points of view.

First the CRT site says: (My bold)

Pay and Display!

It's also a legal requirement to display the licence on both sides of your boat. Contact us if you would like a free pair of plastic holders for your licence. If you cover it for any reason (e.g. during winter), you must paint or display the index number on the cover so that it can always be seen.

Second the general opinion of the forum appears to be that there isn't enough money spent on the canals and yet as soon as somebody suggests reporting license avoiders they are curtain twitchers and busybodies. Cake and eat it springs to mind.

• Greenie 2

An Interesting discussion from two points of view.

First the CRT site says: (My bold)

Pay and Display!

It's also a legal requirement to display the licence on both sides of your boat. Contact us if you would like a free pair of plastic holders for your licence. If you cover it for any reason (e.g. during winter), you must paint or display the index number on the cover so that it can always be seen.

Does this not essentially say that as long as your boat reg number is showing that it is ok for you to cover/not to be showing the actual licence?

Because I was most curious about the rather unusual boat (and also the mooring) and I ran the number through the licence checker to see if it was abandoned or not.

CRT's original statement says you must display a valid licence, but they also say that they check if a boat is licenced or not with their licence checker tool (whether a current licence is displayed or not) and that is the way they ascertain licence status- the general public can do the same thing online too! CRT do not enforce the display of licences or take action against boats that are licenced but not displaying one, there would be no point when they can check electronically if a boat is licenced. There are a multitude of reasons behind why a licenced boat may not be showing the licence, as has been mentioned numerous times before!

Regardless, your initial point was calling out boats for being unlicenced, not for failing to display alicence!

I also said I wasn't sure what you called that sticker. A little more reading and a little less hostility.

Buttys don't have engines either... This is not against the law!

And I never said it was...again, out of context. I said these particular boats had no engine so they weren't going anyplace anytime soon!!!!!

I'm not sure what the eff needs to be defended about having your boat out in the middle of nowhere!! Sinking boat, boo! Get upset over it though without a good reason, ie, someone losing their home?! I truly have larger and more pressing concerns!

Having a boat out in the middle of nowhere could mean they are abandoned...could mean...P l e a s e. R e a d. C a r e f u l l y. And having a sinking boat near the entrance of a marina is a hazard...even a small 20 or so foot one like this one is.

So what is that square sticker I see in every boat window, but yours, that has a green number date on it such as 02/12 or 07/14 or 12/13? It must mean something to someone or why put it there, except for you of course?

You've already had it explained to you multiple times in this thread, so me explaining it again isn't going to help. To quote your sig, "you can't fix stupid".

• Greenie 3

Having the boat out in the middle of nowhere could mean c o u l d m e a n that the boat is populated by axe-wielding psychopaths looking for a quiet spot to off their victims where no one can hear the screams, but that's not the first thought that would pop into my head either.

Edited by Starcoaster

Having the boat out in the middle of nowhere could mean c o u l d m e a n that the boat is populated by axe-wielding psychopaths looking for a quite spot to off their victims where no one can hear the screams, but that's not the first thought that would pop into my head either.

"Dead Calm ~ the narrowboat chronicles"

doesn't quite cut it' does it?

Edited by The Dog House

Actually I have a whole novel-length plotline in my head for a canal-themed zombie story, after eating too much cheese one night and spending a long time considering the benefits of being on a boat come the zombie apocalypse. biggrin.png

Edited by Starcoaster

Does this not essentially say that as long as your boat reg number is showing that it is ok for you to cover/not to be showing the actual licence?

It depends on interpretation IMO. It says (as I read it) it is a legal requirement to display your license BUT in exceptional circumstances provided we can see the number it is OK.

That is a long way (in my interpretation) from "you don't need to display your license as long as the number is on show".

A subtle but noticeable difference IMO. Pragmatically yes if the number is on show you MAY be all right but it clearly says it is a legal requirement which some posters questioned.

Hey, we have a perfect person in our midst!

Have you never, ever, lied about something? Never, ever, exaggerated your losses on an insurance form? Always owned up to every penny of tax that was due, and paid it on the nail? Never, ever, parked on a double yellow line? Never, ever, been slightly over the limit when driving? Never, ever, dropped any litter?

If you are always perfect, please feel free to report every infraction by your imperfect fellow citizens to the appropriate authorities. But if not, spare us your sickening sanctimony.

Well, well George94, calm down eh !!

Sanctimonious I am not,

sanc·ti·mo·ny (sabreve.gifngkprime.giftschwa.gif-momacr.giflprime.gifnemacr.gif)

n.
Feigned piety or righteousness; hypocritical devoutness or high-mindedness.
I have lied, I have never exaggerated an insurance claim, always paid my taxes, always park on a double yellow line when I can get away with it, have driven a vehicle when I shouldn't have after about 3 or 4 pints, not dropped any litter and always pick up my dog's shit.
I still think that rules are rules. It might be a tough experience for you to go through but I wonder how many of the above mentioned you have done? Not that I really want an answer.
If there is a licence to be paid, then I will pay it. Unlike other scroungers who might try and buck the system. Fair is fair. If I think that someone is bucking the system, I will not go to the bother of checking their licence on the web, but will hand it over to the authorities who are PAID to carry out said checks.
Oh well !!

It depends on interpretation IMO. It says (as I read it) it is a legal requirement to display your license BUT in exceptional circumstances provided we can see the number it is OK.

That is a long way (in my interpretation) from "you don't need to display your license as long as the number is on show".

A subtle but noticeable difference IMO. Pragmatically yes if the number is on show you MAY be all right but it clearly says it is a legal requirement which some posters questioned.

I do agree, for me, I display my licence (although I don't pay particular attention to whether others do). As an aside, I can understand a lot of valid reasons for why someone might not be able to/cannot display a licence, but CRT's reference to how something to do with the winter might mean that people who usually display their licence cannot is confusing me! I am probably missing something very simple...

The importance of legal requirement was probably well justified when there were no other ways of determining weather a boat was licenced or not by a warden. Now technology can do this with a displayed number the licence is no longer requisite to ascertain that fact, so it remains a law but not a requirement.

Up until just a few years ago London taxi drivers were legally obliged to carry a bale of hay in their boot. Since horses haven't been used for several decades the law was there in writing but of course never enforced for obvious reasons.

Funny, what started out as a completely innocent series of questions by moi has turned into a mud slinging, arse chewing, name calling, and what ever else you can spew out to make the newbie feel wanted. I can now understand why some newbies visit but don't stay long. I am not one of them though,sorry. There is nothing wrong with obeying the rules or asking questions about them. All I really wanted was an answer to my questions. What I got was a stoning because some never really read my questions before firing away. Oh well, whatever.

No, what you got initially was clear explanations and informative theorising from people who spend a lot of time on the canals (and the forum) and have seen these same issues discussed and brought up many times before.

But you chose to totally bypass taking them on board and ignore them (while accusing others of doing the same to you!) in favour of cherry picking the parts of posts that you wanted to take issue with and getting disillusioned and annoyed that everyone didn't share your pique, all in between shoveling in a hefty dose of rabble rousing, sarcasm and blustering of your own.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 2

I suppose it's the same as saying as long as your vehicle number plate is on show, we don't need to see your tax disc. They will sometimes pick you up if your number plate is obscured by mud or something or if they cannot read your number plate due to ILLEGAL spacing or syntax???

All done now by computers.