Keadby lock best time to go in

Top cat

Featured Posts

We will be travelling from Torksey to Keadby on the 8th of May. What is the best state of tide to enter Keadby lock ? Am I right in thinking I should try to get to Keadby at high water ? I can get the tide times for up to the 2nd of May but beyond then they seem to be a state secret. Does anyone know when High tide occurs at Keadby on the 8th of may?

Thanks

TC

We will be travelling from Torksey to Keadby on the 8th of May. What is the best state of tide to enter Keadby lock ? Am I right in thinking I should try to get to Keadby at high water ? I can get the tide times for up to the 2nd of May but beyond then they seem to be a state secret. Does anyone know when High tide occurs at Keadby on the 8th of may?

Thanks

TC

If you call up the Lockie at Keadby (or Torksey) they'll happily tell you the optimum arrival time for the 8th

AFAIR - you want to leave Torksey about 1 hr before high water (at Torksey)

That will enable you to high-tail it down to Keadby with still sufficient clearance over the sill at Keadby

(So - based on PJ's times below - I think leaving Torksey at circa 09:40 would be there or thereabouts)

Edited by Grace & Favour

The Lockies will advise you as best they can - Please note that they are not infallible !!!

Neil @ Torksey (Or who evers on) will give you the best advice he can but Tides are not written in stone !

Last time we went down to Keadby we were advised by Neil at Cromwell on what time to leave Torksey the following Morning - We arrived at Torksey & talked to the Lockie as we always do, based on information from Keadby & that days tide he advised us to leave 30 mins earlier on the early morning ebb.

We awoke early to find 2 narrowboats already setting off (Air cooled listers & taking their time) We left around 25mins after them (earlier than recommended with the intention of an steady cruise down). By around 3miles before the M180 we caught them both up without really motoring downstream. Rather than overtake (& be in the lock first or treading water awaiting their arrival) we stayed behind on tickover. We arrived at Keadby - Let the 2 NB's make their turn (Round up) & then entered the lock with no particular probs apart from catching up a little quick as I had underestimated the ability of a air cooled lister against the ebb !!

We were first pen up at Keadby - Took a little longer as 1 NB were new owners on their way back to Thorne (A trial of fire for newbies!) & the other was a single handed young lady liveaboard. 2nd pen was a widebeam NB & short NB who made a lousy job of entry running aground on the far bank & again on entry (Even tho advised about the silt). We were sitting topside awaiting them to come up so the bridge could be swung, watching with interest - the tide was now ebbing fast (Our pen would not have made the turn against the current by now) The next pen (Widebeam GRP) were refused entrance as there was not enough water to get them over the sill - Not the best but ok for the craft to await by the dolphins for high water (Not the best for NB's !!!!)

Now the last pen would have made it in I guess if not for the problems on the 2nd pen up - but we left early & made it ok - based on advice we would have probably been 2nd pen if taking it easy, the widebeam boys who frequent this stretch reguarly suffered because of troubles before & had to wait- Unless you are going for high water (bear in mind if it takes you longer you will have to push the incoming tide) better to leave a bit earlier on the ebb & back off when hitting the M180 .

Im sure Phylis (Naughty Cal) will offer much better advice - They are regular cruisers of this stretch (Far faster than us & F1 speeds compared to NB's) but know the water better than us !!!!

Don't want to hijack this thread but it seems pertinent.

From what I have read navigation lights are mandatory on the tidal Trent so how rigorously is this enforced? I have no intention or wish to be on the tidal section save in daylight or tied up to a recognised mooring.

Thanks.

Don't want to hijack this thread but it seems pertinent.

From what I have read navigation lights are mandatory on the tidal Trent so how rigorously is this enforced? I have no intention or wish to be on the tidal section save in daylight or tied up to a recognised mooring.

Thanks.

Densie doesnt have navigation lights. Wasnt a problem for me when I did the Trent last year - the matter was never mentioned or checked by the lockies.

On the main topic - rely on the advice of the lockies. I had no problem turning below Keadby and balancing the outgoing tide before a quick turn into the lock. Suggest you study the Richlow guide to the Trent.

Densie doesnt have navigation lights. Wasnt a problem for me when I did the Trent last year - the matter was never mentioned or checked by the lockies.

Thanks, I rather suspected that but it would be a bit late to turn up at a tidal lock and find that I had to fit them.

As someone said, the lockies are not infallible. But at the same time remember that the tide estimates are not easy to make as they depend on the balance of fresh coming down and tide coming in.

We discovered this the hard way last summer after being held at Stockwith Lock because conditions were judged unsuitable for transit, we were released following a conversation between both lock keepers. Our journey down was smooth and uneventful until just before the railway bridge. At this stage the tide was turning very rapidly - sooner than had been estimated - and were were carried along faster than comfortable, narrowly avoiding being forced onto the pillars of the bridge.

As normal, we went just beyond the lock entrance and made a turn to come up against the flow before slipping into the lock entrace (the gates were open and waiting for us)

However, by then the flow was really strong and we barely made headway even on maximum power. For perhaps 15-20 minutes we inched our way forward and breathed a very big sigh of relief when we made it into the calm of the lock.

What also made it trickier was the direction of flow at that point which was tending to push our narrowboat towards the wall and the moored barges just downstream of the entrance.

It was perhaps less dangerous than it all felt but it was scary enough for us - we still have nightmares! More so after reading yesterday the MIAS report into the capsizing of a tug in the Thames last year. Makes you realise just how quickly things can go wrong when on the water and a useful reminder never to take it for granted.

On the main topic - rely on the advice of the lockies. I had no problem turning below Keadby and balancing the outgoing tide before a quick turn into the lock. Suggest you study the Richlow guide to the Trent.

Thanks folks looks like we will be able to start at a reasonable time. I will of course seek the lockies advice on the day. If going on the ebb what is a typical transit time for a well powered ( 40hp) narrow boat ? Mind you I cant use all of our power as the stern tube rattles at high rpm .

Top cat

Thanks folks looks like we will be able to start at a reasonable time. I will of course seek the lockies advice on the day. If going on the ebb what is a typical transit time for a well powered ( 40hp) narrow boat ? Mind you I cant use all of our power as the stern tube rattles at high rpm .

Top cat

Please note that you need to book your transit through Keadby with( at least) 24 hours notice

If you're travelling down from Cromwell to Torksey the day before, then you could have the Cromwell Lockie book it for you, but preferably do it yourself just to make sure the job's done!

Please note that you need to book your transit through Keadby with( at least) 24 hours notice

If you're travelling down from Cromwell to Torksey the day before, then you could have the Cromwell Lockie book it for you, but preferably do it yourself just to make sure the job's done!

You also need to Radio / Phone Keadby on approach - Just as you come under the M180 (07733 124611)

You cant miss it !!!!

Boat2012274Small_zps7da0275b.jpg

I realise that - but I would not say necessaryily 'with ease'. In that sitiuation you have limited control compared with the normal method of coming in against the flow. At least that's the theory I have always been told and this was the only occasion when it proved wrong! It's OK if you know you can do it but you do need to know that you have enough reserve to mnake the turn in at the right moment!

if you round up, turn and face the current upstream of the lock, you can let the tide push you downstream and glide into the lock with ease.

The river below Gainsborough isnt the resonsibility of CRT it is run by ABP Humber. The lockies are not responsible for ensuring your boat meets the requirements, you are. If you were involved in an accident on the ABP giverend waters and found to not comply with the regulations then that would be your responsibility Im afraid. Nav lights are not only needed at night but also in reduced visibility which can occur at any time of day or night. Plus you may find yourself accidentally aground and spending the night on the river in which case your lights will be needed.

Our advice on timings would be of no use to a narrowboater as we run at 25 knots from Gainsborough to Keadby!!

The river below Gainsborough isnt the resonsibility of CRT it is run by ABP Humber. The lockies are not responsible for ensuring your boat meets the requirements, you are. If you were involved in an accident on the ABP giverend waters and found to not comply with the regulations then that would be your responsibility Im afraid. Nav lights are not only needed at night but also in reduced visibility which can occur at any time of day or night. Plus you may find yourself accidentally aground and spending the night on the river in which case your lights will be needed.

Our advice on timings would be of no use to a narrowboater as we run at 25 knots from Gainsborough to Keadby!!

Hi

Some good advice already. I will be boring again and add my twopenneth. Travelling on this section of water without a vhf radio is stupidity at best.

Have a nice trip though in good weather it takes some beating.

Tim

I have an aviation radio licence. Phraseology is pretty similar to marine I believe (apart from working in 3 dimensions instead of 2!) so if I get a marine handheld and don't sound too ridiculous, would I be right in thinking that no-one will actually check whether I have a licence?

I have a VHF specifically for travelling on the rivers. I have no license yet. When I was chatting to the lockkeeper at Cromwell he said he would much rather I had a radio and no license than no radio......

I have an aviation radio licence. Phraseology is pretty similar to marine I believe (apart from working in 3 dimensions instead of 2!) so if I get a marine handheld and don't sound too ridiculous, would I be right in thinking that no-one will actually check whether I have a licence?

I have never had mine checked. I am aware they are checked on the odd ocasion. As in the scheme of things in terms of boating costs they are peanuts and easily obtained.

Tim

We have had our licence checked at Goole and at Grimsby, so they do check them and other paperwork.

Again bear in mind that there is a difference between travelling on CRT waterways where you are unlikely to get checked and ABP waterways where they can board your boat to check the necessary paperwork if they so wish.

IMO not worth risking not having the relevant paperwork. £80 for the course or a £5k fine, a no brainer really.

Also check your insurance covers you for this stretch of water.

I have never had mine checked. I am aware they are checked on the odd ocasion. As in the scheme of things in terms of boating costs they are peanuts and easily obtained.

Tim

We have had our licence checked at Goole and at Grimsby, so they do check them and other paperwork.

Again bear in mind that there is a difference between travelling on CRT waterways where you are unlikely to get checked and ABP waterways where they can board your boat to check the necessary paperwork if they so wish.

IMO not worth risking not having the relevant paperwork. £80 for the course or a £5k fine, a no brainer really.

Also check your insurance covers you for this stretch of water.

Yes probably good advice, its not the cost more the hassle and time. Can it be done by distance learning or do you have to pitch up somewhere (there must be a practical exam I guess?).

Insurance covers us for interconnecting tidal waterways so I guess that is fine down to Keadby and I don't think I'd want to go any further!

Yes probably good advice, its not the cost more the hassle and time. Can it be done by distance learning or do you have to pitch up somewhere (there must be a practical exam I guess?).

Insurance covers us for interconnecting tidal waterways so I guess that is fine down to Keadby and I don't think I'd want to go any further!

Hi

You have to attend. They are available most anywhere easily found ont tinternet. One day course with very easy test at the end, you will find it a cinche but nevertheless its part of system and once you have it its there for life.

Tim