CaRT and IWA have changed my attitude to volunteering on waterways.

madcat

Featured Posts

In the past I have joined work patries organised by CCT to improve our local canal.I have been the bod with the litter picker,I have fished rubbish out of the bridge holes and tackled unruly vegitation .These things I did because I care and because other users will benefit not just me.

Recently i have become so dissapointed and infuriated by CaRTs cavalier attitude to its customer base and the narrow views of a lot of the IWA hierarchy that I no longer feel willing to give up my time to these jobs.

I will still support CCT and will do work around the basin but no longer out in CaRT territory. Volunteering relies on goodwill and mine has evaporated in the heat of exasperation.

In the grand scheme of things I don't suppose it will matter very much to CaRT if I stay home and weed my garden or even sell the boat and walk away from canals alltogether but I suspect I will not be the only person who feels dissaffected by CaRT's attitude.

The protest rally at Selly Oak is another problem as it appears to the local IWA bods behind it, I 'm now faced with either not going because I won't support the IWA but letting down local people and not standing up for what I believe in or appearing either on Halsall or Atlas and Malus depending on circumstance and assuming I'm not stricken with any more lurgies in order to stand up and be counted.

Iam quite convinced that the latest policies on visitor moorings are just a beginning and will impact on many different boaters enjoyment of the waterways, I have come to distrust CaRT and do not wish to be hounded about the system at great cost to my pocket and my health.

Iam prepared to engage in disscussions with CaRT on my fears and feelings.

• Greenie 1

I am prepared to engage in disscussions with CaRT on my fears and feelings.

I think that that is the answer. A disembodied 'CaRT' or 'IWA' are different animals to the real representatives of those organisations. There are more opportunities to talk to CaRT than there were with BW

Richard

• Greenie 1

Yes as I have said on many occasions boater beware!!!!!

Unless we hold the Trust to account they will just do as they want no use relying on the traditional organisations with their own egos and agendas

I think that that is the answer. A disembodied 'CaRT' or 'IWA' are different animals to the real representatives of those organisations. There are more opportunities to talk to CaRT than there were with BW

Richard

The problem is we need to all keep the momentum going and not via the keyboard!!! Edited by cotswoldsman

Yes as I have said on many occasions boater beware!!!!!

Unless we hold the Trust to account they will just do as they want no use relying on the traditional organisations with their own egos and agendas

I think that one good thing that appears to have occurred, with CRT taking over, is that they seem to be more receptive towards intelligent discussion from individuals than the same old rhetoric doled out by the hackneyed old organisations.

Despite what some may claim here I don't see any sensible input from our "representative" organisations.

In spite of my dissolusioned state I do care not just about my own concerns but those of other users too and I feel that we are in danger of sleepwalking into disaster unless we all stick together.

Iam willing to talk calmly and sensibly to CaRT and the IWA too but would best be part of a concerned group than an odd individual with a grouse.

I think that one good thing that appears to have occurred, with CRT taking over, is that they seem to be more receptive towards intelligent discussion from individuals than the same old rhetoric doled out by the hackneyed old organisations.

Despite what some may claim here I don't see any sensible input from our "representative" organisations.

Carl yes they are happy to discuss but are having trouble adjusting to the new world that after discussion they need to react. It is still not adjusting to being in the 3rd sector. Everything involves meeting after meeting I am for example on the train to London again for my 2nd meeting in 12 days and most probably my 4th meeting on the same subject it gets very frustrating and you just have to remain like a dog with a bone and not walk away.

In spite of my dissolusioned state I do care not just about my own concerns but those of other users too and I feel that we are in danger of sleepwalking into disaster unless we all stick together.

Iam willing to talk calmly and sensibly to CaRT and the IWA too but would best be part of a concerned group than an odd individual with a grouse.

You would be welcome to any of our meetings but please be prepared to stay for the long term things move very slowly.

I don't think you will be the only one feeling this way madcat.

I got shortlisted and interviewed for a volunteer coordinator position last year and am really glad i missed out on the job.

CaRT are skint and are going to squeeze all of us more and more (I fear).

Think I will stick to rebuilding the Montgomery with SUCS. A worthwhile and interesting project and conveniently close to my abode.

Think I will stick to rebuilding the Montgomery with SUCS. A worthwhile and interesting project and conveniently close to my abode.

That's excellent news, wish you would bloody hurry up about it though biggrin.png

Richard

Carl yes they are happy to discuss but are having trouble adjusting to the new world that after discussion they need to react. It is still not adjusting to being in the 3rd sector. Everything involves meeting after meeting I am for example on the train to London again for my 2nd meeting in 12 days and most probably my 4th meeting on the same subject it gets very frustrating and you just have to remain like a dog with a bone and not walk away.

You would be welcome to any of our meetings but please be prepared to stay for the long term things move very slowly.

What John says is correct. I did think when someone had a pop at Vaughan Welch (whatever you think of him), knowing what I know now about working with CRT , I'm not surprised he said he's not been able to implement any plans. You need to add a couple of years on, six months is too short a time!

I'm volunteering with a community enterprise (boaters /local charities partnership) and the non boaters are in shock about how slow things are. It can be a bit head to wall. Frustrating and disheartnening. I'd hoped by 2013 we'd have an Easter hols scheme going for the local kids but I'm now thinking if we get something going for Easter 2014, it might just be doable.

Most people who have been involved with CRT since they took over last year are I believe finding the same thing. They are different to BW, they are trying to improve things incl communication but the speed at which they work can be frustrating. The decision making process involves so many different people and departments, that any outsider can be foregiven for wondering if anything will happen. I have found ways of short circuiting this process but my success has to be tempered with the problems it has caused. As Alan says - it is a long haul, but we have to keep it moving along, if we dont things will definitely get worse. I personally enjoy the volunteering we do and feel it is my way of putting something back for what I gain from the canals besides helping to save a very important part of our heritage. At least under CRT we are being appreciated, that is a major change since the BW days.

Most of what we do is what I consider to be cosmetic and are jobs that niether BW or CRT have done for a number of years. I spend as much time talking with the guys on the ground as I do in conversation with management at various levels. I have not had a single instance of objection to what we are doing by bankside staff in the 4 years I have been involved. When we first started lock painting I discussed our concerns with anyone thaat would listen, the answer was always the same - we do not have the time ot the staff to do it. Painting and tidying locks doesnt have much to do with the operation of the locks but a tidy well looked after lock flight does improve peoples opinions of the canals and CRT. I dont believe CRT or BW have done much in the way of litter picking for many years, but surely it is better that someone takes the job on.

I wasn't trying to knock what you do,sorry if it came across like that. I'm shure that your intentions are good. I get the feeling that we are witnessing the end of professional lock keepers they will all be replaced with volunteers if crt has its way

Regards kris

I have not got involved in volunteer lock keeping, but in fact we had already reached that stage with nearly all but the staircase type locks. Posssibly not entirely relevant but I know of at least one seasonal lock keeper who had been told he would not be set on this year who has in fact been re-employed. I am not entirely happy with the way things are progressing which is why I agree with John-Cotswoldman. It is up to boaters to make themselves heard, and also to be involved in what is going on on the canals. We can gain far more respect from CRT by working with them than any opther option there is.

I personally would love to see the lengthsman return to the canals, but then I would prefer pubs to concentrate on selling beer, people in general to be less selfish and many other things that just confirm me as a grumpy old git.

Classic snapshot.

I am currently moored across from a 24 hour mooring site - 5 boats moored - all but one of those boats (a hire boat, just arrived) were here yesterday when I arrived.

One was here 4 days ago, in the same spot (I drove past on the way to a job and parked up to eat my sandwich)..

All the boats are what could be termed shiny boats, although all have been spotted around for the last few months.

I don't need answers to these questions, but just the thought process behind CaRT and it's strange way of doing things - they WERE enforcing effectively,and now aren't again?

Why is there NO enforcement?

Why are there no £25 extended stay signs on this very popular spot (far more of a honeypot than Hawkesbury 7 day or Cowroast lock area?)

If there was a scruffy boat with roof piled high, would that have been visited by now?

Oh, and on the subject of volunteers, I have now covered on both Old Friends and several other boats quite a large area so far this year, and have still yet to see a volunteer locky?

i also know that a lot of long term employees are getting forced to take new contracts, obviously to the advantage of crt. i just wonder if these are the actions of a caring charity.

regards kris

Edited by kris88

I wasn't trying to knock what you do,sorry if it came across like that. I'm shure that your intentions are good. I get the feeling that we are witnessing the end of professional lock keepers they will all be replaced with volunteers if crt has its way

Regards kris

Here at Sawley Lock, CRT have put /will put volunteers on the lock and have moved the lock keeper to other duties. Makes sense financially. It is why I volunteer to release staff to maintenance duties.

I think some people just hear what they want to hear and then put their own interpretation on it. The change in contract was the introduction of annualised hours that was negotiated with the Unions and voted on by the members. With regard to volunteers once again CRT have assured the staff via the Union that there will be no redundancies as a result of volunteering and the Union have accepted that. There is enough work to be done by all staff and volunteers for the next hundred years.

• Greenie 3

I think some people just hear what they want to hear and then put their own interpretation on it. The change in contract was the introduction of annualised hours that was negotiated with the Unions and voted on by the members. With regard to volunteers once again CRT have assured the staff via the Union that there will be no redundancies as a result of volunteering and the Union have accepted that. There is enough work to be done by all staff and volunteers for the next hundred years.

John you are naive if you believe this. The staff have been disappearing for years. Ask any cart worker how many worked there 5 years ago and how many are working now.

• Greenie 1

I would really welcome the return of a lengthsman responsible for a section of canal be he volunteer or employee providing there was consistency and the role was not just about recording licences or length of stay.