01:30 hrs. Engine started!

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Can't believe this guy started his engine at 01:30 hrs. 15ft away from a block of flats! No doubt another black mark for the boating folk.

Before you shout, yes, I've knocked on his boat this morning to see if he has a problem. No reply.

Can't believe this guy started his engine at 01:30 hrs. 15ft away from a block of flats! No doubt another black mark for the boating folk.

Before you shout, yes, I've knocked on his boat this morning to see if he has a problem. No reply.

Insert nozzle of spray foam can into exhaust........

Chris

Not on the Macc, are you? There's a plonker on the 48 hour mooring at Congleton who runs his engine all day and half the night... mind you, he's only been there since November. Obvously a Continuous Cruiser. Occasionally he turns his engine off and runs a very noisy genny instead.

Oh dear. For some people it's as if their world extends about as far from their head as their eyebrows.

We've got about a mile of empty towpath up here, nearest houses cannot be seen - they're at least half a mile away, all piled edging, yet some boaters choose to fit out their boats directly below the only flats in the area. Why?

Edited by Lady Muck

Oh dear. For some people it's as if their world extends about as far from their head as their eyebrows.

We've got about a mile of empty towpath up here, nearest houses cannot be seen - they're at least half a mile away, all piled edging, yet some boaters choose to fit out their boats directly below the only flats in the area. Why?

Do you think that they run a shore line to their boats from one of the flats?

Seriously, it wouldn't be the first time that I have heard of this happening.

Mike

Do you think that they run a shore line to their boats from one of the flats?

Seriously, it wouldn't be the first time that I have heard of this happening.

Mike

In this case the people in the flats are complaining, so I don't think so, but I know what you mean, over 20 years ago, my partner had an electric narrowboat (it was very experimental), we kept his old Nicholsons from back then - pubs that would let him run a cable in through their window to charge up were marked on the map with a star. There were also black marks. We won't go into them. :rolleyes:

It's really annoying isn't it, the magnitude of someone's complaint is usually twice the size of reality anyway and prats like this increase tensions so much more and cause so much bad feeling towards the majority of boaters who want to live on peace and avoid confrontation.

There's just nothing that can be done with some people.Inconsiderate,selfish,or just dumb,take your pick.Hopefully Karma will catch him up

There is something you can do. Phone the environmental health department of the local council. They have a statutory duty to investigate such complaints. I should know, I'm one of the ones doing the investigating.

started at 01:30? that does take the piss!! I would untie my ropes and move (probably with no headlightTBH) get away from that idiot so the residents dont tar you with the same brush, it happens!

Just spoken to him. Waste of time.

I'm interested to know what he said? It's pretty hard to justify that. I have to confess, though, to having run my engine pretty late on occasion. Never that late and I have always knocked on boats nearby to ask if they mind, but as someone mentioned before, back late-early shift in the morning-flat batteries-have to shower before work. I've been there.

I've been there.

I've been there lots but never near houses! never ever near residents. other boaters are usually fine with it because they totally understand how it all works (but you do come across the odd sad trombone now and then but thankfully its rare), not houses though. simply havent and never will near houses. Again just common courtesy ffs.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

I've been there lots but never near houses! never ever near residents. other boaters are usually fine with it because they totally understand how it all works, not houses. simply havent and never will near houses. Again just common courtesy ffs.

I've been there too, but there's absolutely no excuse for it. I've got home to find my batteries almost flat. The solution is simple: go to bed. If you're not tired, get a torch and read a book. People managed for thousands of years without electricity. I'm sure we could all manage for one night without?!

The other possibility is to heat water for washing. Well again, tough! You'll have to do without for a few hours.

• Greenie 3

I've been there too, but there's absolutely no excuse for it. I've got home to find my batteries almost flat. The solution is simple: go to bed. If you're not tired, get a torch and read a book. People managed for thousands of years without electricity. I'm sure we could all manage for one night without?!

The other possibility is to heat water for washing. Well again, tough! You'll have to do without for a few hours.

Dont get my wrong I've been there! and run my engine to fix it! but I go for quieter spots only thing I'm keeping awake are sheep or cows.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Dont get my wrong I've been there! and run my engine to fix it! but I go for quieter spots only thing I'm keeping awake are sheep or cows.

What he could do is display a notice on his boat, warning of his need to run his engine out of hours. Just like the one I saw recently on the North Oxford which warns that "Generator runs 'till late". That should do the trick and keep everyone sweet. :rolleyes:

Howard

one I saw recently on the North Oxford which warns that "Generator runs 'till late". That should do the trick and keep everyone sweet. :rolleyes:

Howard

Oh thats the nicely approach before arrival byelaw somewhere in inviso. section 4 sub 12 that eradicates the need for anyone to follow the rules UNTIL they have been nicely approached before arrival rule.

:rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

There is absolutely nothing that would require us to fire up our engine at 10pm, let alone 1.30am! You don't need a shower, you may want one, but a bowl full of hot water (heated with a kettle) and a flannel will suffice. We spend our first two years aboard with knackered batteries and no shore power and while the lights were quite dim at times we were never plunged into inky blackness!

I really can't think of anything else someone could claim to justify it.

The trouble is boaters like this give the anti boaters so much ammunition to use against the rest of us that abide by the laws and just want to live in peace in our chosen lifestyle.

• Greenie 1