Overnight on the Wolverhampton 21

Little Else

Featured Posts

Owing to a combination of factors this morning we will be unable to do the whole of the 21 today, but the weather forecast for tomorrow is dire. We would like to get some of the flight done today in view of the forecast but does anyone know how viable it is to stop part way down? We will probably have a couple of hours of daylight. Thanks in advance,

Libby

Perfectly ok at the top as well. The only pounds long enough to moor in are near the bottom anyway but there is a mooring in the pound by the refuse destructor. Have stopped there for Halfords but not overnight.

As Domino says, about 2 1/2 hours. Not a difficult flight.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

Don't moor at all on the 21 especially if you are a solo boater. Perhaps if you had made a request for some help I and some other would have fired you down in an hour and three quarters or so. A bit late now at just after 6. Good luck.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Thanks for posts. We've done the 21 a couple of times and knew we didn't have enough time to get down before it got dark but would have liked to have done some of it before tomorrow. We've never really paid attention to any likely moorings on the way up or down as you don't think you'll need them. I don't like boating in the cold, when your tired, when the light is beginning to fail and you are worried about where to stop. Thank you for the offer PaddingtonBear but there are two of us even if one is a crotchety old lady. We have made the decision to moor at the top, I think The Great Western exerted its gravitational pull on the steerer. Am going to sort out the wet weather gear for tomorrow.

Having done it a few times, I'd only ever recommend mooring at either the top or the bottom...

We've moored at the bottom once, following an alcohol fueled CWDF banter which was followed by an ill judged attempt at tackling the flight with me and Cheshire~Rose on locking duties, neither of us knowing which end of the windlass to use and totally forgetting that lock keys were needed...

We've moored at the top on several occasions, and although it's not the most scenic of places, it's probably one of the most secure. We've haven't had a single problem whilst there.

Janet

We advised Dad not to moor on the flight a couple of years ago

He ignored us & moored near the top - surprisingly apparently with no problems.

So maybe ok or just a chance that it was ok ..... Have to say we have moored in many places that have been ill advised against with no probs....

Topside would probably be the best bet on advice from others

We've just had a very peaceful night at the top apart from beer fueled snoring from Sam. I can now say that the moorings are very scenic as it has been snowing! I think you are probably right Ange, there has been no one on the tow path since we moored up last night. Looking forward to seeing you and Dave and the rest of the rabble. 8 more sleeps.

if you moor late after dark and set off first light and its a wet night doubt you'd be bothered but any other time I wouldn't choose to stop, if forced to i'd stop below the railway bridge at Oxley by the side of the racecourse.

having stopped overnight above Walsall Locks once It was an uneventful night probably due to how cold it was!! similarly top of camp hill not had any bother.

Edited by hamsterfan

I have moored top and bottom of the 21 with no problems at all. There is even a stretch in the middle by the rail bridge/works that looks OK.

I can't help thinking that some people are born victims.

Edited by Maffi

I have moored top and bottom of the 21 with no problems at all. There is even a stretch in the middle by the rail bridge/works that looks OK.

I can't help thinking that some people are born victims.

Ya well you have that vicious guard dog onboard :captain::cheers:

Not so much worried about people as problems with lack of water in pounds. It was very low between locks 8 and 9 and 11 and 12.We can't hunker down as much as we would like to as we have to get the boat to Norbury tomorrow before the yard shuts. Anyway it was done this morning in the snow, very carefully. Fresh snow isn't really too much of a problem, it's ice that's nasty. Might make Gnosall tonight.