oil pressure

Featured Posts

the oil pressure warning light/buzzer has started to come on at idle. It's ok with some rpm on and when cold but once warm as soon as i put it in idle the warning sounds.

Any ideas, sender unit? oil pump?

It's a vetus M4.14

The last person I suggested they might want to add more info. to their initail post called me a troll but I hope you don't feel the need to do the same.

When was the last oil change?

Do you have an Oil pressure gauge and if so what does it show?

How many engine hours?

What oil did you use at the last change?

Edited by The Dog House

the oil pressure warning light/buzzer has started to come on at idle. It's ok with some rpm on and when cold but once warm as soon as i put it in idle the warning sounds.

It's a vetus M4.14

What oil is in it?

Does it match with the reccomended?

I picked up some CF by mistake and I had the same problem!

I had this problem on my old boat with a Vetus M3, a new sender unit cured the problem.

Dave

"What can't speak, can't lie"

Yeah, right. :glare:

I would try swapping the sender first as well

Richard

It's a vetus M4.14

Sender unit is easiest to check and most likely culpret. After that, could be wrong oil, pressure relief valve stuck open, worn bearings, overheating, duff oil pump, blocked oilways/filter.

But most likely the sender.

oil was changed last autumn with the recommend spec oil, morris if memory serves me correct and it's been fine all winter running for 30-40 mins everyday for hot water and the odd potter up the cut.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge, i guess i should fit one.

coolant temp is fine.

Sounds stupid (and I'm not trying to score points) however are you sure the dip stick is clean when you check it? I once came across a vehicle with low oil pressure where the owner swore that the oil was showing ok on the dip stick. The old oil had coated the dip stick with a black glossy varnish that looked like wet oil however the engine was dangerously low to the point that it had run its main bearings.

As the light only comes on at tickover its not likely to be low oil level.

Actually I have met quite a few people who believe that the oil pressure light measures oil level rather than oil pressure!, though I suppose it does detect low oil level in a bad sort of way. The oil light on my old VW bus used to flash if the level was a bit low and I braked too hard!.

But seriously, an oil pressure guage is a very useful thing to have as long as you don't become too obsessed by it....it can be a bit disconcerting to bring a well hot engine down to tickover and see just how low the pressure can go! You can fit one via a T-connector to also retain the oil pressure switch...which should be connected to the alarm buzzer.

..............Dave

Don't do it

fitting a gauge will only make you worry when the pressure is not exactly as it should be. :lol:

For what it's worth I think it is the sender unit or a pressure relief valve or....

Actually I have met quite a few people who believe that the oil pressure light measures oil level rather than oil pressure!, though I suppose it does detect low oil level in a bad sort of way.

Actually! Its more likely to come on at high revs with low oil, as most of it gets sucked up into the engine that quickly, the pump runs out and the oil light comes on!

Actually! Its more likely to come on at high revs with low oil, as most of it gets sucked up into the engine that quickly, the pump runs out and the oil light comes on!

Definitely. I had a Yamaha with a sump oil level warning light. Unless the oil was near the full mark, it would come on when the engine was revved, until it got quite hot. The oil was getting rapidly sucked up, but then taking its time to return to the sump due to being thick. The first time it happened I got a scare, but then read the manual and realised it was a level light, not a pressure light.

Edited by nicknorman

I have a mechanical (is that the right term) gauge that always reads zero, it use to read 15 psi after the engine had stopped.

The Needel might be free on its shaft? or clogged oil line into, or at the meter.