How hot dose it get in your boat in the summer

AshleyT

Featured Posts

Carefull!...Mrs TNC tried this once (right out in the sticks - Oxford summit)....and then caught the flasher! (still not convinced she did not imagine him) :lol:

Damn, didn't think she'd seen me! ;)

And even then, she wouldn't have seen much.

Edited by Spuds

About 34c.

The boat will change shape, twist and warp. On one boat I came across, the rear doors were out by about 5mm during the day. A friends boat would creak and bang as it was cooling.

Yeah, the front door, which is also steel, has a moment in that kind of heat - I have to lean my head on the top of it from the outside to lock and unlock it :P My boat creaks and bangs as it warms up, midsummer that starts about 8.30am and then it does the same as it cools down late at night - if it cools down late at night.

My boat is significantly cooler inside than out on hot days. I have very good insulation and a light-coloured roof which helps. Also I have metal venetian blinds that reflect most of the sunlight coming through the windows.

I have 13 large windows and the boat is noticeably cooler if I leave the wooden Venetian blinds closed all day

I've experiened one summer over the last seven in which the boat became unbearably hot. I dealt with this by lying on the roof reading after work safe in the knowledge that once it became too dark to see, it would be cool enough to head inside. That was about three years ago and lasted for about a week. I don't think you have too much to worry about.

I have 13 large windows and the boat is noticeably cooler if I leave the wooden Venetian blinds closed all day

Yes, living in a hot climate (obviously not Britain) involves a trade-off between light and heat.

The French, Spanish, Italians for example, live almost exclusively behind shuttered windows and leave their stone floors bare, it makes the interiors blissfully cool but it can be depressingly dark unless you have very big, high ceilinged rooms, not something narrowboats are famed for!

How warm are the canals? Thinking, draw out some cool air out from under the floor with a solar powered fan?

If a boat is not that well insulated and many arent then just spray canal water onto the roof as it evaporates it will remove heat from the steel and thus from the inside.

I can't belive we are discussing this on the second "warm" day of the year.

We had a phrase for people like you when I was in the RAF - "Willy Watcher"! ;)

Royal Navy----Toggle-ogler.

Just in case there is any doubt, I was paraphrasing the aforementioned flashee! :)

(Sadly I failed the medical for RAF aircrew selection - migraine :()

I am very lucky in that my boat seems to be both cool /hot when needed. Having 2 large hairy dogs, they do not like it too hot/too cold. I take out a couple of port holes, open the 3 huidinis and if we ever get a proper summer, the side hatches as well!

I also put tiles on the floor in the bathroom for one of my guys who loved to lay on the cool floor. Obviously security is not really an issue and my dogs are not realy spoilt. ;)

On the few really hot days we've had since owning the boat we found that keeping the curtains closed on the sunny side and all windows and doors open to create a through draught does the trick. I've taken refuge in a nice cool boat when it's got too hot outside.

Hasn't happened much mind :D

On the few really hot days we've had since owning the boat we found that keeping the curtains closed on the sunny side and all windows and doors open to create a through draught does the trick. I've taken refuge in a nice cool boat when it's got too hot outside.

Hasn't happened much mind :D

Alas opening door and hatches and taking out windows isn't an option when at work for 12-15 hours a day. I'll often get home and open the door at 8 or 9pm and the waft of heat hits me in the chops. I need to devise a rainproof open mesh window insert for the canal side when I'm away... I sense a dilemma there :P

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Alas opening door and hatches and taking out windows isn't an option when at work for 12-15 hours a day. I'll often get home and open the door at 8 or 9pm and the waft of heat hits me in the chops. I need to devise a rainproof open mesh window insert for the canal side when I'm away... I sense a dilemma there :P

Good point BSP. It works for us cos I don't work in the summer and Dave's always on the boat.

Well I've got good insulation and I've got bus windows which slide open so I should be ok based on what everyone is saying, but I guess the only way to find out is to wait and see hopefully we well have a good summer so I can sit at the back of the boat with some beers

If a boat is not that well insulated and many arent then just spray canal water onto the roof as it evaporates it will remove heat from the steel and thus from the inside.

I can't belive we are discussing this on the second "warm" day of the year.

I can remender the days when it was so hot steering, standing on the deck on our old cruiser stern boat, that I had to stand in a bowl of water!

Yes, it was indeed another glorious day, spoilt by finding yet another teeny water leak on Earnest's 1903...bloody block drain cock!

That's the key, getting a through draft when & where in the boat, you need it most.

Through draft is the key, we open doors at each end and the 2 Houdini hatches, job done. Fresh air in through doors, hot air out through Houdini hatches

Phil

Certainly changing the colour of our roof from dark blue to pale cream seems to have made a difference. On hot days (if only, these last few years) we open the windows but keep the blinds shut on the sunny side.

Good method of cooling down boat: fill one of those garden sprayers with cold water and spray the interior of the boat with a fine mist. Cools the inside right down.

What week was that Paul? I seem to have missed it....

When it's warm I would not be caught dead inside the boat. Out on deck with a cool beer in your hand. Untie or not. Depends on the mood. :cheers: :cheers: Roll on summer........

:smiley_offtopic: howya mick,

cant remember,may,june?maybe it was only a weekend.rose coloured pint glasses and all that.spent a few great days in riverstown.jazis,they started drinkin about nine on a monday morning and were still at it at one in the morning and this was the pub!w.i would not let us over the summit level.be warned against mary lynchs pub,the closest thing i have seen to fawlty towers and maybe even worse.

where did you get to with the ely rose,where did you leave her for the winter?

paul

I've seen one boat, that had handrails made from pipe (as mine are), which had drilled a succession of tiny holes along the length of the handrail and then arranged a small pump to take water out from the canal and spray it out along the roof from them. Brilliant idea!

The other day someone told me that it was a 'fact' that the dark robe-type clothing people wear in warm climates, Jallabas, etc, are as cool as white costumes.

Partly because black also soaks the heat from the body. Sounds plausible. ??