Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

If you really wanted to take a look quayside from a below saloon, why not install a periscope? Need only a fitting similar to a stove pipe above hatches.

Then the towpath gongoozlers would ask the best daft question ever, "Is this a submarine?"

MtB

Then the towpath gongoozlers would ask the best daft question ever, "Is this a submarine?"

MtB

Oh no!

Please don't turn this into another Herr Kapitan thread........ captain.gif

article-1318252-0B803B11000005DC-182_634

Edited by alan_fincher

How DID he get under bridges with that conning tower?

Don't tell me, he partially submerges!

MtB

If he's on the Leeds & Liverpool, as I believe he may have been, the original arched bridges are quite high in the middle.

Our wheelbox is about 8'2" above the water, and cleared all the flat topped bridges between Leigh and Liverpool, though was potentially vulnerable in the arched bridges.

Apart from Leigh bridge and the Liverpool Link, for which everything had to come down, we only had to drop the funnel for the flat bridges and the wheelbox not at all.

We should if all goes to plan find out this summer whether the same applies to the rest of the Leeds & Liverpool. I seem to remember the standard bridge profile is different on the former Lancaster Canal section.

KennetValeroyal-1_zps80366595.jpg

Tim

Edit - the wheelbox is a few inches higher than in that pic., I couldn't stand up straight as it was, & it was fixed so had to be altered anyway to make it collapsible.

Edited by Timleech

Wash your mouth out!

This is the Beecliffe as it is now, with portholes.

IMO they, and the hideous colour scheme,really spoil it.

Mind you, windows would be worse wink.png

P1010823_zpsaf9df796.jpg

I do understand that it's now a semi-static home, so the inside is more important to current owners than the outside, but still...

Tim

Is that the one that got stuck in Maida Vale Tunnel some time ago?

Portholes in the hull (or coamings) will have no effect whatsoever on the structure (other than watertightness) if they incorporate steel flanges, or are those nice ones with 10mm thick tapered weld-in rims from Toplicht (unless of course you also have a phobia about mixing metric with imperial 3/8" plating). The sight does not offend me in principle but it would be nice if they had all followed the shear.

If "Beecliffe" is drawing 3' aft then "Drake" is drawing more and will of course displace more.

The photo of "Drake" might be Mylor Bridge (Tregatreath Boatyard) but I thought she was at Gweek when I last went there a few years ago. No difference, both nice moorings.

Slipping / docking is a problem in Falmouth area. Pendennis Shipyard have the only big hoist and they are into mega yachts, hence mega prices. The old slip at Ponsharden Shipyard was dismantled years ago when Falmouth Marina expanded, and was bought by the late Martin Heard of Tregatreath. I am not sure whether it has been reinstalled there yet but I seem to recall it was 50 tons only, and designed for fishing boats so access underneath a flat bottomed barge was very difficult. As said there are plenty of boats in the area, but mostly within the scope of a 30 tonne Wise.

Is that the one that got stuck in Maida Vale Tunnel some time ago?

Portholes in the hull (or coamings) will have no effect whatsoever on the structure (other than watertightness) if they incorporate steel flanges, or are those nice ones with 10mm thick tapered weld-in rims from Toplicht (unless of course you also have a phobia about mixing metric with imperial 3/8" plating). The sight does not offend me in principle but it would be nice if they had all followed the shear.

If "Beecliffe" is drawing 3' aft then "Drake" is drawing more and will of course displace more.

I don't know what she's drawing there, I'd have to dig out some old pics to compare, but I'll guess at least 3'6".

When we had 20 tons of ballast, plus the odd ton or two of timber and personal belongings, I'm pretty sure she was drawing 4' aft and around 3' forward. The ballast was distributed 12 tons in the front third of the hold and 8 tons in the after third.

We had the ballast removed in Sete. prior to coming back up the Rhone, after which the rounded forefoot was just showing, so probably only around a foot draught foreward and 3' or a bit less aft.

We then loaded I think 12 tons of concrete block in St Jean de Losne, after which the draught aft was maybe 3'9" or a bit less, can't remember for sure..

The main point of my original comment was that the quoted 75 tons and 2 foot draught for the Drake were totally incompatible with one another.

Tim

Is that the historic boat normally moored just above Uxbridge lock?

Yes.

I had my first experience of trying to wind in the wind this afternoon and got well and truly stuck to the bank. Having totally run out of ideas a sense of humour failure ensued. Eventually the kind chap off 'Bicester' (after I'd provided his afternoon entertainment) managed to pull me round with a rope. Just as he threw me my rope back rather embarrassingly for me he said "your off the forum aren't you?".

I got the hell out of there before asking who it was!!

LOL yes I messed up a turn last week on the running section near Coppermill Lock, I turned into the flow and ended up going sideways down the GU with the flow for a while.

Where did you try to wind?

NB trying to keep on topic, that boat ( is it Bilster?) looks nice after a recent paintjob! I must say hello next time passing.

Edited by mark99

For those that haven't seen elsewhere, rather regrettably, I am having to sell my day boat, due to a change in our circumstances. The advert is here:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=343066

Please feel free to PM me with any questions, the work i have completed is well documented in my blog.

http://nbbcn1645.wordpress.com/

Regards

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

"Lancing" has had another dramatic price cut, and is now listed at £19K.

I think that is less than half what was originally being asked a year or more ago.

I don't know the boat, and it clearly must need some serious work, but compared to anything else I have seen it would appera to be a very low price for a full length Town class motor.

If I wasn't looking for something ready to go, I could be (very) seriously tempted by this one.

Hmmm - Big Northwich, with a Petter PD2, at under £20K asking....... ........ No!, be sensible Alan