BW or C&RT Keys

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

We recall ordering a key or keys from BW back in 2005 whilst licensed and on the water.

We seem to have a Water access key and what Lynn recalls might be a bridge key. One with BWB printed on, and another key says Master.

Is there 2 keys ie bridge and water? They're on our original boat keyring. I would have thought one key would fit all, am I righ?

There is only one type of "BW" (or "CRT") key of a "Yale" type, called variously all sorts of things, including "Sanitary Station Key" and "Watermate Key".

They haven't changed since (at least) the last 40 years.

A "water conservation key" or "handcuff key" on the other hand is the type of "T bar" device with a square socket in the end, using on locks in areas like Birmingham. It is not really "a key" as such, more a simple tool.

There is only one type of "BW" (or "CRT") key of a "Yale" type, called variously all sorts of things, including "Sanitary Station Key" and "Watermate Key".

A "water conservation key" or "handcuff key" on the other hand is the type of "T bar" device with a square socket in the end, using on locks in areas like Birmingham. It is not really "a key" as such, more a simple tool.

Cheers Alan

Clearly the BWB key is the water/sanitary etc

The key with Master on it is a mystery, it doesn't fit the gas locker padlock or any boat padlocks

We've not required the T bar, Lynn can't recall such a tool.

We're beginning prep for going back on the water end March/April and trying to think of everything we'll need, it's becoming a big list :lol:

'Master' padlocks are often used for marina entry/exit - its not one from a previous mooring possibly?

Otherwise, as Alan F. says

ETA - but yes, def get a handcuff key, better safe than locked out of a lock

Edited by Mike Tee

There are "BW" keys available on Ebay I believe. They have the same profile, but do not have the second groove which are, in theory, used on security keys which normal key cutters are not able to replicate.

I hear that some of these work ok, but also quite often they do not work. Genuine "BW" keys are about £6.50 I think - the clones are not going to be much cheaper so you might as well go with them rather than get caught short outside the sanitary station with a non-working key!

'Master' padlocks are often used for marina entry/exit - its not one from a previous mooring possibly?

Otherwise, as Alan F. says

ETA - but yes, def get a handcuff key, better safe than locked out of a lock

Thanks people.

We think it could be the gate key from a boat yard we were staying at 8 years ago :lol: you post reminded us. :cheers:

I rather stupidl asked in the navigaton pub at kilsby for a "Handruff" key as the book said we needed one, they did not have a cue what I was on about!! uckily the only locksthat were locked just needed a bw/cart key!