Rickmansworth Festival 18th/19th May

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I have finally managed to sift through some of my photo's from the weekend.

I have put them into two groups:

The Boats = https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582985479070.1073741850.685704069&type=1

The People (and stuff) = https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582953004070.1073741849.685704069&type=1

I still have to sift through a load more I took of the wildlife - I mean that in the nature reserve next to the canal, not the shenanigans in the beer tent!

I have finally managed to sift through some of my photo's from the weekend.

I have put them into two groups:

The Boats = https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582985479070.1073741850.685704069&type=1

The People (and stuff) = https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582953004070.1073741849.685704069&type=1

I still have to sift through a load more I took of the wildlife - I mean that in the nature reserve next to the canal, not the shenanigans in the beer tent!

Seems to be unavailable to those of us without 'Facebook'

Very possibly as a link they are. I can upload one or two of them to here later but I was trying not to overload the thread with photo's for those who do not have the advantage of broadband

Very possibly as a link they are. I can upload one or two of them to here later but I was trying not to overload the thread with photo's for those who do not have the advantage of broadband

Pics are great CR, especially the one of Mr. F with the tiller strategically positioned whilst steering no handed! laugh.png

I get around the Facebook "visibility" issues by making a public album in the open group Canals and Riveri UK.

Anybody can then see them even with no FB account.

It sems to be popular to put these type of albums there with members of that group too.

I get around the Facebook "visibility" issues by making a public album in the open group Canals and Riveri UK.

Anybody can then see them even with no FB account.

It sems to be popular to put these type of albums there with members of that group too.

Thanks Alan, I will try that

I too had a great time, and must apologise to my doppelganger for the cases of mistaken identity, whoever you are I hope it didn't spoil your weekend :-)

I didn't get around as many forumites as I'd intended to because there was just too much going on but hopefully next time.

Enjoyed meeting Dekazer and By'eck, hope you had good onward cruising

It was great to actually meet some people from this forum this year biggrin.png Thank you to everyone who has posted pictures!

I have also posted some of my photos on facebook, but for those who don't 'do' that place, I've also put some in a picasaweb album. Here's the link; https://picasaweb.google.com/elaine.simons/RickmansworthCanalFestival2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLCh2fWxqpDbLw&feat=directlink

Can I just add how inspiring it was to hear and see Jan, Chesire Rose in action, the Chesterfield Canal is in very safe hands there and the CRT could learn a thing or two about how to engage non boaters and boaters a like!

I hope you made the long trip back ok!

Rob

Can I just add how inspiring it was to hear and see Jan, Chesire Rose in action, the Chesterfield Canal is in very safe hands there and the CRT could learn a thing or two about how to engage non boaters and boaters a like!

I hope you made the long trip back ok!

Rob

What did she sell to you?

Richard

I've just seen this fantastic photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehavillandimages/ Some great photos in there.

Thanks for the tips on sharing photos, I'll get some of mine up later. Definitely a few of some forum members. It was lovely to meet a few folk who I hadn't met before, and to see a few old faces smile.png Hope you liked the brownies ChrisB (and thanks to the crew of Storm for helping me deliver them).

Lovely to meet you (and your doppelganger Graham) Kev! He'd walked down the towpath 2 minutes before you - my friends were bemused when I started yelling Kev! at all the men walking past smile.png Great to see Jeanette again (thanks for the photo, see you soon!) and Alan (I've got photos/evidence of Dave nobbling you!). Lovely to lock down with Ecky Thump (who I didn't realise was a forumite at the time), what a gent. Sorry not to have met the rest of you, although we waved from the far side cheers.gif

Edited to say I have now uploaded some of my photos to the Facebook group Canals and Rivers UK, as Alan suggsted, so you can go and have a look there!

Edited by Dekazer

Richard

I sold him my dream - that The Chesterfield Canal will be navigable along it's entire length in my lifetime. It did not cost him a penny!

We did not even have a collection bucket out this weekend. I was handed some very lovely fridge magnets to sell at a later date (Thanks Cath Fincher) but no money changed hands at all for the entire weekend. (Apart from what we handed over at the bar .......... and at the crepe stall........... and for the scrummy thali from the curry stall.......... I even managed to avod buying a rather lovely small washboard that I was certain I could find a daily use for im my kitchen.

I am wondering if the forum members who I did not get a chance to meet were the ones who found it necessary to get the trip boat to get past Python without me mugging them based on the reputation I seem to have got.

Oh well I can always get them next time laugh.png

Swerving off topic, in row 10 of the excellent dehavillandimages link there's a photo of the magnificent Brunel viaduct with the M25 passing under it.

It has had the legend "GIVE PEAS A CHANCE" on the parapet for many years and we refer to it as the peas bridge. Does anyone know why the graffiti is left there and not cleaned off by Network Rail, or the Brunel Society, or someone?

The spelling mistake is quite amusing and quaint, assuming it wasn't deliberate, and I'd actually be quite sad if it was removed. The recent poor copy added to the other side ought to be cleaned off though in my opinion.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Richard

I think the Rickmansworth Canal Society had placed a restraining order on her!

However if she mentions fridge magnets to you at a later date my advice would be to leg it!

EDIT:

On a more serious note I should add that jan & dave were probably some of the hardest working people of the weekend.

They were constantly engaged by people at "Python", often with others looking on and listening.

Hopefully that included members of some of the other trusts and socities that turn up, put out a few leaflets, but don't seem to think it particularly necessary to talk to anyone.

Well done both!

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks for your very kind words, I will just point out that if it had not been for the organisers (and a very, very nice harbourmaster) managing to slot us into a prime towpath spot then we would have been able to do little more than stick a few leaflets on a table and hope people would talk to us. We were extremely fortunate to be given such an amazing opportunity and The Chesterfield Canal Trust are extremely thankful for the hospitality extended to us by The Rickmansworth Canal Trust. Apologies to everyone else who had to make do with being rafted up on the outside but by putting up with it you yourselves have done your bit to help the restoration!

The lovely banner that The Trust commissioned with the map of the canal and a lot of images and details on it effectivley turns Python into a big advertising hoarding. It is such a striking design everyone stops to have a look and then ........ I have them in my web!

Full credit to Rod Auton, The Trust's publicity officer, Michael Edwards, Python's skipper, Robin Stonebridge, The Trust's chairman and a host of others who hunted out the various photo's and produced the daiagrams required for the banner.

If there are any other trusts who would like to get a banner made for their cause then I can direct you to Oakleaf Graphics (add .com and you will find them)

Edited by cheshire~rose

On behalf or RWT & Waterspace I would like to say a H U G E thank you to all who came by boat,car,bus,bicycle and foot to Ricky this year

Lucy the cakes were divine as always

Snakey..Please come back another year

Sickle..next time you will win ( maybe) but great having dinner with you both on Saturday

It's is all of you who make Ricky what it is, a fantastic festival

Right back to getting ready for Crick this weekend

Chris- B

( Hopefully there next year by boat....watch this space)

I have finally got around to uploading a set to Flickr where you should all be able to see them. Flickr upgraded their site 2 days ago and some friends are reporting difficulty in seeing the photo's - I think this is due to the gremlins in their new system and not the visibility of my photo's so if at first you don't succeed .......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12106259@N06/sets/72157633641524768/

I found it amazing that just the other side of the hedge from all the hullabaloo of the festival was a nature reserve which had enough activity to keep "Spring Watch" going for a whole series

Here are a few photo's I took that side of the hedge:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12106259@N06/sets/72157633643100534/

That is lovely! That moorhen was so tame!

From what I have read it seems likely to be the female as the male guards the nest.

The chicks left the nest early Sunday morning

Cath pointed out the well hidden nest to me and a short time later I decided to try and get a photo of it only to witness a chick pop out for the first time