Gas Bottles

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Does everyone use calor or is there another brand.

There are several other brands, e.g. Flogas. However check that they are 13Kg not 11 Kg which some are.

Calor has the advantage that you can exchange anywhere - you can't exchange a non-Calor cylinder for a Calor one and few waterside suppliers will stock anything other than Calor.

Also, whilst Calor is listed at £25.75 (last time I looked) a lot of places will discount it to £21 or £22 - some to £19.99.

That is interesting. I am currently in Spain and we have 2 brands, Repsol & Cepsa. Both are the same price and 90% of places charge the same, £15 for 13kg. In Spain there is very little of piped gas so the number of bottles sold is vast.

Does everyone use calor or is there another brand. Reason I ask is that some have mentioned prices and they do seem to vary considerably.

We have one Flowgas bottle 11kg as a back up. When I got it Flowgas was much cheaper proportionately and having another supplier a handy back up should Calor ever have a problem with supply.

I am mildly surprised that so many people who live aboard tend to use their gas so much for boiling the kettle.

During winter when our stove is lit I always have a flat bottomed kettle standing on the top. If I make a brew I top the kettle back up again so it is soon back to temperature. It also gives me a sink full of water to wash up.

I am mildly surprised that so many people who live aboard tend to use their gas so much for boiling the kettle.

During winter when our stove is lit I always have a flat bottomed kettle standing on the top. If I make a brew I top the kettle back up again so it is soon back to temperature. It also gives me a sink full of water to wash up.

I take the view that I'd prefer to minimise the production of steam where our stove is situated, and confine it to our cooking area where open windows allow the steam to leave the boat.

I take the view that I'd prefer to minimise the production of steam where our stove is situated, and confine it to our cooking area where open windows allow the steam to leave the boat.

We keep an old Aga kettle topped up with water on the stove, it's not really hot enough for Tea Coffee though and would need heating further. So we just use the contained water for washing up as we find we have to run the tap for a while before getting hot water at the sink. The Aga has a small spout and produces very little steam.

We do measure and only boil exactly what we need for cooking tea & coffee, reducing heating times. We also don't seem to suffer too much condensation, we thought we would have a lot more when we started baking but we've noticed no real difference. With a couple of rings going on full we get a light misting on porthole glass and on pigeon box port holes in that area. If we slightly open the pigeon hatch hardly any condensation at all.

Baking though doesn't seem to produce condensation, it certainly warms the boat up though.

We keep an old Aga kettle topped up with water on the stove, it's not really hot enough for Tea Coffee though and would need heating further. So we just use the contained water for washing up as we find we have to run the tap for a while before getting hot water at the sink. The Aga has a small spout and produces very little steam.

We do measure and only boil exactly what we need for cooking tea & coffee, reducing heating times. We also don't seem to suffer too much condensation, we thought we would have a lot more when we started baking but we've noticed no real difference. With a couple of rings going on full we get a light misting on porthole glass and on pigeon box port holes in that area. If we slightly open the pigeon hatch hardly any condensation at all.

Yes we use a conical Le Creuset kettle which has a small spout. I like to keep the kettle filled to a level which is slightly above the internal aperture for the spout. This means when the kettle is simmering most of the steam simply hits the lid and runs back into the kettle. The only water that can escape as steam is the surface area actually within the spout. We do not seem to get too much condensation at all. On our stove the kettle is usually simmering once at temperature so easily hot enough for coffee, washing up and cooking. If the stove is burning a little hotter then I have a low trivet I stand it on so it stays hot but does not boil. That may be an idea for those who do not want a boiling kettle on the stove. It only takes a moment to bring it to boiling on the gas hob if you need boiling water.