Water system not working

Jamborock

Featured Posts

Bought boat before Xmas. Water system, sink, shower, toilet etc shown to be working and then the system was drained and winterised.

Was told all I had to do was fill tank and re-connect the water pump at the chocolate block and all would be good. Did this - filled the tank - and the pump runs but no water. Realised I should have asked more questions.

The is a stop-cock (red wheel) I have tried this in both directions and half way. It then goes through a amber/partly see through bulb (don't seem to be able to post a photo - the forum asks for the photo's URL ?) to the pump.

The output of the pump is split (t-piece) to the domestic water system on one side via a pressure vessel/accummulator thing and to washing machine inlet on the other - there is no water there so I guess no water leaving the pump.

Does anybody have any ideas or failing that known a marine plumber/engineer near Crick who would work on a Sunday.

Thanks.... :banghead:

Bought boat before Xmas. Water system, sink, shower, toilet etc shown to be working and then the system was drained and winterised.

Was told all I had to do was fill tank and re-connect the water pump at the chocolate block and all would be good. Did this - filled the tank - and the pump runs but no water. Realised I should have asked more questions.

The is a stop-cock (red wheel) I have tried this in both directions and half way. It then goes through a amber/partly see through bulb (don't seem to be able to post a photo - the forum asks for the photo's URL ?) to the pump.

The output of the pump is split (t-piece) to the domestic water system on one side via a pressure vessel/accummulator thing and to washing machine inlet on the other - there is no water there so I guess no water leaving the pump.

Does anybody have any ideas or failing that known a marine plumber/engineer near Crick who would work on a Sunday.

Thanks.... :banghead:

I would suggest the stop-cock is the problem, turn it anti-clockwise (as if you were trying to unscrew it) as far as it will go. Some can take a number of turns to actually open depending on design.

Thanks for the replies

Grace & Favour - the pump is very close to the tank, I suppose it could be gunk as the tank had been empty but is has done a reallt good job of completely blocking the flow not just reducing it, and I put an awful lot of water somewhere, so I am pretty sure the tank is full.

Bill - I had the stop cock to the full extent both clokck-wise and anti-clock as I was not sure where it had been left - also tried it half way.

I guess I need to pump the tank out and look at the stop cock.

ta

Thanks for the replies

Grace & Favour - the pump is very close to the tank, I suppose it could be gunk as the tank had been empty but is has done a reallt good job of completely blocking the flow not just reducing it, and I put an awful lot of water somewhere, so I am pretty sure the tank is full.

Bill - I had the stop cock to the full extent both clokck-wise and anti-clock as I was not sure where it had been left - also tried it half way.

I guess I need to pump the tank out and look at the stop cock.

ta

Before you pump the tank out loosen the joint on the output side of the stop-cock (with the stop-cock closed) and shift the pipe to one side a little. Shove a bit of hose onto the outlet, open stop-cock and see if any water trickles out. Then blow down the hose to back flush the stop-cock of any gunge (could be just a flake of crap in the tank), repeat a couple of times and it may save draining the tank till the weather warms up a bit.

Good luck.

Hi MtB - yes we tried the tap directly after the accumulator and also the washing machine water inlet pipe which is a split off before the accumulator. So, I'm afraid no water out of the taps.....

PaulJ - Thanks for the suggestion. The stopcock is not easy to get to due to the position of the bow thruster which I guess was fitted after the original build. It a good idea but frightens me as the prospect of 250 gallons of water flooding in from the wrong side of the stop-cock is not something I think I want to change.

I think I need to pump the tank before I try that.

PaulJ - Thanks for the suggestion. The stopcock is not easy to get to due to the position of the bow thruster which I guess was fitted after the original build. It a good idea but frightens me as the prospect of 250 gallons of water flooding in from the wrong side of the stop-cock is not something I think I want to change.

Note the word 'loosen' and not remove :lol:

Hi Bottle,

It was disconnected to stop it running when there was no water on the tank / system. It was only one wire that was disconnected, it has been re-connected and I can now hear the pump running.

It was the end of a long day when we got round to filling the tank, so it may become obvious tomorrow after a good nights sleep and looking at it in the day light.

It doesn't appear a difficult system, the items are tank - stop cock - pressure sensor tank level meter (shows empty but I don't know if this is working - but it wouldn't stop the flow of water), odd looking semi-transparent filter thing, then the pump - which was running.....

Hi Bottle,

It was disconnected to stop it running when there was no water on the tank / system. It was only one wire that was disconnected, it has been re-connected and I can now hear the pump running.

It was the end of a long day when we got round to filling the tank, so it may become obvious tomorrow after a good nights sleep and looking at it in the day light.

It doesn't appear a difficult system, the items are tank - stop cock - pressure sensor tank level meter (shows empty but I don't know if this is working - but it wouldn't stop the flow of water), odd looking semi-transparent filter thing, then the pump - which was running.....

Is there any in line isolation valves by the taps that are not turned on.

Jamborock

A couple of points which might be worth investigating, although they may not apply to your system:

1. Most freshwater systems incorporate a filter screwed into the pump inlet. The filter casing is usually of clear plastic, so you should be able to see if it contains any water.

2. How is the tank and water system drained? Many boats have pipework from the lowest point in the system which drains into the rear bilge (when the stopcock/gate valve is open). Is this stopcock/gate valve closed? Or is water being pumped into the rear bilge?

- pressure sensor tank level meter (shows empty but I don't know if this is working - but it wouldn't stop the flow of water),

A good clue as if it is working it shows that no water is getting out of the tank past the stop cock.

Or did you fill your water tank from your galley taps? :blush:

All these things have happened in the past. If there is a drain and you have been filling the right tank has it been running out as fast as you put it in?

Hi PhilR, thanks for the suggestions.

Eventually plucked up the courage to dismantle the pipework back to effectively the output of the stop cock, there is only a dribble of water coming through when the tap should be fully open. As the water tank is full, I am guessing that over-tightening of the valve to shut off the water before Xmas has caused the valve to fail, and the gate is no longer being opened/lifted when the wheel is unscrewed.

I have contacted a marine engineer who says he can sort this out, so fingers crossed.

Thanks to all who offered ideas, at least it wasn't something completely daft I hadn't spotted.