Best Time of Year For Buying

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

I was in the chatter-ma-bob thingy you guys got going on with this forum the other week, and something that got mentioned, with regards to my making purchase of a narra' boat, was seasonal prices? In the past, my buying experiences have been mainly with motorbikes and jet skis, so I'm used to October November been the very best time to buy, and after winter through spring still been okay, but then getting near to summer, prices start to go back up. Someone said this doesn't happen with boats? I'm not sure what to make, as I was looking to buy next October, however, will have the money to start properly thinking about buying in April of this year. Am I better to wait, or to buy in time for an awesome summer entrance into the world of living on a boat?

Regards

- Foxy

I'd say it's definitely seasonal. FAR fewer competing buyers around at the tail end of the 'boating season' than in March or April.....

The brokers will often of course disagree, and tell you the market is fairly buoyant all the year round.

I'm sure even if that's true, (which I rather doubt!), selling prices will be more depressed at the end of the "boating season" than the start of it.

People might well be prepared to offload a boat more cheaply at the end of a season, than to pay the costs of keeping it for another six months in the hope of making more at the start of a season.

I'd say it's definitely seasonal. FAR fewer competing buyers around at the tail end of the 'boating season' than in March or April.....

MtB

I beg to disagree, a boat is worth what someone is prepared to pay.

I work loosely with a couple of brokers and the market never stopped moving until December, there were no massive reductions, and only Whilton/Venetian seemed to do a January sale (of boats that had been there a long time). The market is already kicking in and to get a bargain now you have to identify boats that have been sat there for more than six months and put a low offer in, but don't expect it to be accepted.

Hmm, I'm still not sure whether to wait off or be impatient and buy at a higher price. I guess it depends how much of a difference there might be?

It might matter what use you intend to make of it.

If you are going to be a mostly summer user, then if you buy at the start of a season, you may pay a bit more, but are actually using it straight away.

If you buy in the autumn, but don't really make use until the next spring, then any saving made is at least part offset by having to pay top keep it for 6 months without getting the benefits.

If of course your plan is to move straight into it as a full time home, then the maths works out differently.

If of course your plan is to move straight into it as a full time home, then the maths works out differently.

The math worked out to get it now? I do intent to move straight in, and if it was a case of say, a £500 difference, sure I'd pay that on a 20,000 boat to have it this summer and be strigh in and cracking on with fitting it out for my liking while i can cut wood outside. But, if I'm looking at a fair few thousands difference, I might wait off.

Considering how many boats I actually looked at until I found the one for me, I wouldn't personally hang around waiting for what might be a "cheaper" buying period in the year. I was lucky that I found my boat during the winter and an owner that was working towards a deadline (emigrating) and was able to put in a cheeky offer, but then finding the boat and mooring has been a stroke of luck from start to finish!

All the best for your boat search, but I think that if you find the right boat, your last concern will be for the time of year!

Edited by Kae

I would love to chip in with a sensible post here but once I had the money all my Plans went out the window and the boat found me shortly thereafter. Buy the one you want when you see but try and take someone with you with a sensible head on.

Edited by Tuscan

I don't think there is a season to buy. If you find the boat that is right for you just go for it.

We bought in October because we found the right boat at a reasonable price.

Certainly looking at the brokers in our Marina they don't seem to have a busy or quiet period. They sell boats quickly all year round.

I was in the chatter-ma-bob thingy you guys got going on with this forum the other week, and something that got mentioned, with regards to my making purchase of a narra' boat, was seasonal prices? In the past, my buying experiences have been mainly with motorbikes and jet skis, so I'm used to October November been the very best time to buy, and after winter through spring still been okay, but then getting near to summer, prices start to go back up. Someone said this doesn't happen with boats? I'm not sure what to make, as I was looking to buy next October, however, will have the money to start properly thinking about buying in April of this year. Am I better to wait, or to buy in time for an awesome summer entrance into the world of living on a boat?

Regards

- Foxy

About February, to take advantage of all the people who give up in winter!

Not sure on this one, there are seasonal price differences, but for a non standard boat this would be minimal.

I purchased one in October/ November, it fitted my exact specification - engine/design/lenght/maker and I was happy to pay 'top dollar for it.

I sold one at the same time, and got a fair price for that as well.

It may well be that the winter months are not a time to 'fly a kite' - presentation in these cold, damp months may be difficult - presenting the boat at it's best warm and dry increases appeal.

I normally sell via a broker (who charges a flat fee of £500), but keep the boat on my mooring - means I have more control over the sale.

I purchased a boat in '89 in December through a broker - handed keys, flat batteries, etc.

I have had 2 boats in about 25 years of boating so any overpayment for a GOOD product is minimised.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Not sure on this one, there are seasonal price differences, but for a non standard boat this would be minimal.

I purchased one in October/ November, it fitted my exact specification - engine/design/lenght/maker and I was happy to pay 'top dollar for it.

I sold one at the same time, and got a fair price for that as well.

It may well be that the winter months are not a time to 'fly a kite' - presentation in these cold, damp months may be difficult - presenting the boat at it's best warm and dry increases appeal.

I normally sell via a broker (who charges a flat fee of £500), but keep the boat on my mooring - means I have more control over the sale.

I purchased a boat in '89 in December through a broker - handed keys, flat batteries, etc.

I have had 2 boats in about 25 years of boating so any overpayment for a GOOD product is minimised.

Leo.

Who is this broker with a £500 flat fee?