Window costs

Psycloud

Featured Posts

Hi All

This is just a little bit of research as probably not going to do it, but the captain has asked what it would cost to replace the windows in the boat.

Currently we have nine 900x600 aluminium hopper windows (2 of which also have sliding hatches) and 2 small bathroom windows 300x600.

Does anyone know what kind of cost it would be to replace these with double glazed windows? Personally I don't think it's necessary but I need to ask so we can potentially put tjis one to bed.

Thanks

David

Why bother

Use acrylic dg with magnetic strips works just as well and will be way cheaper.

No drafts and no condensation

We are aware of other options - but her-onboard is insisting we get an idea to replace them :)

Hi All

This is just a little bit of research as probably not going to do it, but the captain has asked what it would cost to replace the windows in the boat.

Currently we have nine 900x600 aluminium hopper windows (2 of which also have sliding hatches) and 2 small bathroom windows 300x600.

Does anyone know what kind of cost it would be to replace these with double glazed windows? Personally I don't think it's necessary but I need to ask so we can potentially put tjis one to bed.

Thanks

David

Be aware that unless you go for wood or plastic frames you will get condensation on metal frames, in which case only secondary double glazing will prevent it.

I've seen several boats with plastic-framed double-glazed windows, basically domestic types but purpose-made to fit the boat. In almost every case the width of the plastic frames has virtually halved the actual size of the glass. Great for heat insulation, but useless if you want to look out or to let light in.

Did I not read on another thread that the costs are almost double, or more, than standard windows?

I wouldn't be surprised - but having said that I don't know what a standard one would cost :)

I've seen several boats with plastic-framed double-glazed windows, basically domestic types but purpose-made to fit the boat. In almost every case the width of the plastic frames has virtually halved the actual size of the glass. Great for heat insulation, but useless if you want to look out or to let light in.

I don't think I'd like plastic as wouldn't suit the boat really. :)

Be aware that unless you go for wood or plastic frames you will get condensation on metal frames, in which case only secondary double glazing will prevent it.

Thank you :)

Did I not read on another thread that the costs are almost double, or more, than standard windows?

In the case of my barge, it was more like 3 times the price for the new whizzy Channelglaze ones over the price of Worcester "S" type + secondary double glazing, but that was due to both being certified Cat "C", with 6mm outer glass. This was also due to Graham (Riversdale)getting a rather better discount with Graham (Worcester). As others have said, with the secondary double glazing fitting over the ally frames, you get no condensation on the frames....and that is even in Ireland!

Most of the window companies will let you price up new windows on their website.

I looked at Wesley's - my existing windows are clamp-in - it appears the DG units have to be screwed in.

I've seen DG windows at a show where the frame had a thermal break.

Plastic house-type windows look awful on a boat.

Most of the window companies will let you price up new windows on their website.

I looked at Wesley's - my existing windows are clamp-in - it appears the DG units have to be screwed in.

I've seen DG windows at a show where the frame had a thermal break.

Plastic house-type windows look awful on a boat.

A thermal break in metal frames has been around for for at least 20 years but I'm not sure they are all that successful.

Why bother

Use acrylic dg with magnetic strips works just as well and will be way cheaper.

No drafts and no condensation

Must say I've not heard of this one. Where can I check it out? I currently use the shrink film in winter, but would love something better.

Bob

Must say I've not heard of this one. Where can I check it out? I currently use the shrink film in winter, but would love something better.

Bob

Just Google for clear acrylic sheet and flexible magnetic strip...there are tons of suppliers.

Bob

There's a thread on it somewhere, we have done our own version in glass. Small hockey stick trim top and bittom to support glass and provide a couple of runners.

Image022.jpg

I was quoted £3000 for 11 double glazed windows for the narrowboat so I opted for secondary glazing which cost about £325 - £350. I had to do some minor work to the hoppers but it as stopped a lot of condensation and the boat is a lot warmer. The acrylic was supplied by haden brown, barton street, Gloucester speak to penny and I got the magnetic tape from a company which I googled on the internet called ape tape.

Does anyone have experience of the Wesley Marine windows? The cost seem considerably cheaper than Worcester Marine, is that reflected in the quality? Or are Worcester just very expensive?

We have (now historic 1999) screw-in Wesley windows in NB Earnest. They have stood up OK (to all we could throw at them!) and have never leaked round the joints. As with a lot of windows with the clip in plastic trim to cover the screws, this has shrunk over the years and I had to get some replacement trim. I dunno about their new clamp in ones.

With Riversdale in Ireland, I only had a choice of Worcester or Channel Glaze for Barge Maurice A. Worcester did the spec we wanted in the "S" type. I ended up fitting them and have so far been pleased, very easy to fit and even managed a slight curve in the leading front ports. All I know, is that the Worcester was much cheaper than the Channel Glaze equivelents.

We have (now historic 1999) screw-in Wesley windows in NB Earnest. They have stood up OK (to all we could throw at them!) and have never leaked round the joints. As with a lot of windows with the clip in plastic trim to cover the screws, this has shrunk over the years and I had to get some replacement trim. I dunno about their new clamp in ones.

With Riversdale in Ireland, I only had a choice of Worcester or Channel Glaze for Barge Maurice A. Worcester did the spec we wanted in the "S" type. I ended up fitting them and have so far been pleased, very easy to fit and even managed a slight curve in the leading front ports. All I know, is that the Worcester was much cheaper than the Channel Glaze equivelents.

Thanks for the feedback TNC, I don't think I will bother looking at Channel Glaze then...