Bang.........that was New Mills Marina

kiki

Featured Posts

The senior member of the family was a director of NMM Ltd, and was very much on the books.

Sorry Dave have just read your posting, I see you are correct. Oddly enough Harry was down at the moorings yesterday demanding to know who were all"these people" who were trying to "take OUR lease off US" - I suspect there is a lot more going on here than meets the eye. Senior Brammer and spouse are due back next week, so I wonder if the spouse will be putting in a bid to take over with Harry. Its all very much Chinese wispers and conjecture at the moment which is no good for morale, and the moorers are feeling a bit put out as we have been told that no more electic cards can be sold as EOn is wanting to cut off our power - considering we paid our bills the Brammers might find a somewhat hostile greeting when they arrive.

Edited by kiki

Sorry Dave have just read your posting, I see you are correct. Oddly enough Harry was down at the moorings yesterday demanding to know who were all"these people" who were trying to "take OUR lease off US" - I suspect there is a lot more going on here than meets the eye. Senior Brammer and spouse are due back next week, so I wonder if the spouse will be putting in a bid to take over with Harry. Its all very much Chinese wispers and conjecture at the moment which is no good for morale, and the moorers are feeling a bit put out as we have been told that no more electic cards can be sold as EOn is wanting to cut off our power - considering we paid our bills the Brammers might find a somewhat hostile greeting when they arrive.

Surely if the place is in the hands of the receiver, it is now the receiver's lease.

In your place I think I would want to be keeping in touch with the receiver to find out what is actually going on.

Talking of hostile, today during the day, all 4 tires of the senior brammers beautiful gold 4x4 were slashed.No matter what you feel, that is an ugly and vicious thing to do, I really dont want to begin to think who it is who did it.

I'd say it depends entirely on what is happening, legally speaking, to their current landlord, who will be defined in their tenancy agreement. It doesn't look good though, I'd expect their tenancies will be terminated subject to any provisions in their tenancy agreements which might determine otherwise.

MtB

We had a mooring there for several years and saw the changeover from Anglo-Welsh.When AW owned the lease it was less than perfect but they probably realised that they needed to find a mug with negligable business sense and in Kit and his father they surely found that.

Not only were they without any business acumen they were also without interest.Kit is only really interested in Rugby at a low level.The old story was that Chris bought the lease to keep Kit out of trouble.To be fair he's a nice enough lad just a hopeless waste of fresh air.

Perhaps the biggest crime is that BW allowed the maintenance to slide down the pan.The huge quay stones fell into the cut one after another,the jetties were falling apart the electrics were a nightmare.They stopped selling diesel as the pump and the bunding around it failed.There was a time when boaters were going off to buy washing up liquid to try and break down the diesel spills.The chandlery,if it could ever be called that gradually packed in,the slip way was blocked for years by a boat which was towed into the marina and allowed to sink.The boat was such an eyesore and that was eventually removed by the joint efforts of a few of the moorers.

The toilets and showers were probably only slightly better than a stalag.If you wanted a pee ok but dont think about sitting down.The jetties were only ever repaired/rebuilt by the moorers...how soft were we?

It is a major concern that some boaters were lured into buying an extended mooring and it can only be hoped that they have something written into the lease that will carry on to the next owner.We hope also that the creditors dont forget about nb Dunstan,if its still owned by NMM. http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=253434 £60,000 might go some way to helping folk out.Good luck to all may it work out well for the good people mooring there.

Talking of hostile, today during the day, all 4 tires of the senior brammers beautiful gold 4x4 were slashed.No matter what you feel, that is an ugly and vicious thing to do, I really dont want to begin to think who it is who did it.

Whilst you can't ever condone this type of behaviour, you can certainly understand why it's happened.

The Brammers swan about in their beautiful gold 4x4 whilst all about them slides into a pitiful state of disrepair, albeit at the expense of the moorers. Had this marina been located closer to Manchester, their 4x4 would have been the least of their problems.

Incidentally, are the Brammers in any way related to the ill-fated 'Lees Narrowboats' of Hyde?

I googled New Mills Marina this morning and was quite surprised at how tight a turn is necessary for some boats to enter their moorings. It resembles White Bear Marina in Adlington, Lancashire.

Edited by Doorman

Not wishing to be flippant, against such a serious problem, but I have to challenge the statement "beautiful gold 4x4"...

Or did I miss the irony smiley?

Depends on the make and model. Some four-wheel drives are handsome indeed (Subaru Forester up to 2007, Porsche Cayenne for instance), others look awkward and designed by a committee, while some of the latest generation look as if a giant has trodden hard on part of their roof (Range Rover Evoque).

Depends on the make and model. Some four-wheel drives are handsome indeed (Subaru Forester up to 2007, Porsche Cayenne for instance), others look awkward and designed by a committee, while some of the latest generation look as if a giant has trodden hard on part of their roof (Range Rover Evoque).

Whilst I can't agree with any of those (a 4x4 any other than a Landy or Landcruiser is an flacid extension..), I do accept that some may find beauty or use in other models than the Landy or Landcruiser. But in GOLD???

Really?

I can't agree with you on that.

Some of the newer Range Rovers are just gross, so I'm probably agreeing with you there. I don't take note of which models.

Tim

Whilst I can't agree with any of those (a 4x4 any other than a Landy or Landcruiser is an flacid extension..), I do accept that some may find beauty or use in other models than the Landy or Landcruiser. But in GOLD???

Somehow I did not count the Land Rover even though I know it's a 4-wheel drive. It's somehow separate from and above the pack, a classic in its own right which does not fit into any category.

I don't mind that bronzy-goldy paint colour although it does tend to look dowdy after a while. My bete noire, if you'll pardon the pun, is the Forester in silver. We have had three Foresters in a row, they are lovely, but silver makes them look too flashy.

Tim, yes, they look heavy and stolid. I did put this down to German design as I thought that the marque was now German-owned, but apparently I was wrong and it belongs to Indians. I look forward to the new flock-wallpaper interior trim.

Edited by Athy

Tim, yes, they look heavy and stolid. I did put this down to German design as I thought that the marque was now German-owned, but apparently I was wrong and it belongs to Indians. I look forward to the new flock-wallpaper interior trim.

The 2014 colour range is being extended to include:

Tikka-Masala

Madras

Bhuna

Phall (only for their 'super-turbo models)

The 2014 colour range is being extended to include:

Tikka-Masala

Madras

Bhuna

Phall (only for their 'super-turbo models)

So the basic model with the de-rated engine will be in korma yellow, I suppose.

Come to think of it, Samosa sounds like a typical name given to a modern identikit hatchback.

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder because I can't agree with any of that!

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder because I can't agree with any of that!

Yes it is.

You mean you don't like any 4-wheel drives or you just like different ones? Skoda's new Yheti is rather cute.

Yes it is.

You mean you don't like any 4-wheel drives or you just like different ones? Skoda's new Yheti is rather cute.

Having owned a few Skoda's (Octavia estate currently) I like the Yeti. SWMBO thinks it looks like postman pat's van! :banghead:

Sorry, this is taking the thread somewhat :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by johnmck

Yes it is.

and like the Qashqai not all Yheti's are 4x4, some models are front wheel drive only.

Edited by The Dog House

We had a mooring there for several years and saw the changeover from Anglo-Welsh.When AW owned the lease it was less than perfect but they probably realised that they needed to find a mug with negligable business sense and in Kit and his father they surely found that.

Not only were they without any business acumen they were also without interest.Kit is only really interested in Rugby at a low level.The old story was that Chris bought the lease to keep Kit out of trouble.To be fair he's a nice enough lad just a hopeless waste of fresh air.

Perhaps the biggest crime is that BW allowed the maintenance to slide down the pan.The huge quay stones fell into the cut one after another,the jetties were falling apart the electrics were a nightmare.They stopped selling diesel as the pump and the bunding around it failed.There was a time when boaters were going off to buy washing up liquid to try and break down the diesel spills.The chandlery,if it could ever be called that gradually packed in,the slip way was blocked for years by a boat which was towed into the marina and allowed to sink.The boat was such an eyesore and that was eventually removed by the joint efforts of a few of the moorers.

The toilets and showers were probably only slightly better than a stalag.If you wanted a pee ok but dont think about sitting down.The jetties were only ever repaired/rebuilt by the moorers...how soft were we?

It is a major concern that some boaters were lured into buying an extended mooring and it can only be hoped that they have something written into the lease that will carry on to the next owner.We hope also that the creditors dont forget about nb Dunstan,if its still owned by NMM. http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=253434 £60,000 might go some way to helping folk out.Good luck to all may it work out well for the good people mooring there.

I guess it wont surprise you to know that its now worse than ever. To be honest one rarely ever saw Kit away from his office, and little jobs that would have taken a fit young rugby player a matter of hours, were handed over to others as he really lacked any interest at all.

Said toilets are now unusable, A nice family pulled over a few weeks ago and wanted to use the showers, one look at the place and they walked back and said no thanks we will skip it. The mens has been used by a company hiring one of the sheds to dispose of dyes that they use to make t-shirts and the facilities are now pitch black. Even the men are n ow using the ladies which is fractionally better only because ladies can aim better when they pee. <_< The place still survives on the effort of a few concerned moorers keeping the place in order, if it had beenleft to Kit we would have been overrun by rats and thieves long ago.

Whilst you can't ever condone this type of behaviour, you can certainly understand why it's happened.

The Brammers swan about in their beautiful gold 4x4 whilst all about them slides into a pitiful state of disrepair, albeit at the expense of the moorers. Had this marina been located closer to Manchester, their 4x4 would have been the least of their problems.

Incidentally, are the Brammers in any way related to the ill-fated 'Lees Narrowboats' of Hyde?

I googled New Mills Marina this morning and was quite surprised at how tight a turn is necessary for some boats to enter their moorings. It resembles White Bear Marina in Adlington, Lancashire.

To the best of my knowledge they are not related in any way except business practice.

Edited by kiki

some of the latest generation look as if a giant has trodden hard on part of their roof (Range Rover Evoque).

I wonder if the same giant had trodden on their 4x4 causing the tyres to deflate?

Even the men are n ow using the ladies which is fractionally better only because ladies can aim better when they pee.

That's because they're sitting down to aim. If we all sat down to have a pee then we'd never miss, but then we would be accused of being lazy gits for sitting down on the job! :P

On a serious note, the picture both you and Dave paint is a sorry sight for all of the moorers and I wonder whether this situation has been allowed to prevail because of the physical presence of the good for nothing Kit. It's either that or you guys have taken tolerance to a new level. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, closer to Manchester or any big city for that matter and these suspected businessmen would have been launched unceremoniously into the canal way before it descended to where it now stands.

That's not to say that their approach would be right, but how long do you keep paying for a facility and get short changed, consistently! :angry:

Edited by Doorman

hello to everybody at new mills marina,i am not really suprised to hear new mills marina has gone bang. i was unfortunate to be moored their juring the anglo welsh/brammer esc take over, and was alarmed at the rapid deteriation of the site.but working at a local motorcycle repair shop, and the marina did take liveaboards it suited me at the time.i do agree with what kiki and dave mayall state about the brammers. brammer senior used to swan around survaying his domain,and talking rubish to anybody that would listen. but i have to disagree with dave,s statement that nothing got done, and they did not care.well maybe they didnt,but consider this.towards the end of my stay at new mills a young couple came to moor at the marina with a new sailaway shell and started to fit it out, then one night they came home to the boat and found 2 inches of water above the bedroom floorboards, they knocked on the flat door,rung the office number all to no avail.then somebody told them to see the engineer called tony [always wore a raccoon skin hat complete with tail] who lived on a shell at the bottom of the yard. so just after 11pm they got the engineer out of bed,nearly 2 hours later boat pumped out,water tank,pump and pipework checked,he explained what had happened then assured them that their pride and joy was not sinking, he even put his reputation at stake [brave man], when asked why he turned out at a silly time of night in the pouring rain, he just grinned and seid its my job.where were the brammers?.tucked up in bed. and did he get paid? proberbly not. on another occasion he had a 30 footer aground on the slipway,lay on pallets placed in the water welding plates on the bow with his apprentice inside on fire watch.also i know for a fact he never turned a boat away no matter what time of night for a pumpout, diesel ,or gas.[always asked for a cheque].what im saying is if an employee of the company was willing to put that mutch effort into his job. why did the brammers not equal his efforts?.so sorry dave it wasnt always like it is now.the last i heard about him, his dad had died and it destroyed him.but where is he now? what is he doing now? and is he still riding a norton commando?.