Winter shots on the Leeds Liverpool

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

I am eagerly looking forward to my trip in September, but as i last saw snow over 20 years ago, would love to see how it looks in the winter months .

BBC2 has a programme Winterwatch - the big freeze of 1963 on Saturday late afternoon. That was the winter that was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for regular canal freight, as the canals and rivers were frozen so long and freights moved to road transport. There are a few shots of frozen rivers and canals in the film. We were on board at the time, and horses came across the frozen gravel pit near us and were leaning on our boat to get to the grass at the edge of the canal.

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1

BBC2 has a programme Winterwatch - the big freeze of 1963 on Saturday late afternoon. That was the winter that was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for regular canal freight, as the canals and rivers were frozen so long and freights moved to road transport. There are a few shots of frozen rivers and canals in the film. We were on board at the time, and horses came across the frozen gravel pit near us and were leaning on our boat to get to the grass at the edge of the canal.

Remember it well, was about 15 - still at school. Think there was something like an 11 week freeze ? Back then snow clearing, away from main roads was unheard of. Our quiet residential street had foot high ruts of ice. Impossible for the 3 wheel milk floats to negotiate. I was a milk boy !

The program was fascinating. I would have been 2 at the time but remarkably I DO remember the freeze. I have memories in my head of walking along pavements that had been cleared of snow and where it was piled up between the pavement and the road the pile was taller than me :)

Where abouts are these photos taken?

They are all around Parbold, Lancs. The Autumnal one is heading towards Parbold from Newburgh, the Windmill shot is in the middle of Parbold Village, and the shot of the two boats is the one-time drydock and boat building yard just out of the village towards Appley Bridge.

Edited by Guest

So when i start CC'ing, where am i supposed to moor?

Sorry junior I was joking, it is fine for you to stay on Visitor Moorings. I was simply pointing out to some on here that the visitor moorings are not all hogged by Continuous Cruisers as can be seen in photo. The moorings in Parbold are normally very busy in the summer and most people seem to think they are all taken up by Continuous Cruisers one of the big mysteries of the canal system is where do all these Continuous Cruiser go in the winter? I know where boats that have Marina/long Term moorings go in in winter and I also know where they go in the summer, they come out and hog the visitor moorings!!!

Sorry junior I was joking, it is fine for you to stay on Visitor Moorings. I was simply pointing out to some on here that the visitor moorings are not all hogged by Continuous Cruisers as can be seen in photo. The moorings in Parbold are normally very busy in the summer and most people seem to think they are all taken up by Continuous Cruisers one of the big mysteries of the canal system is where do all these Continuous Cruiser go in the winter? I know where boats that have Marina/long Term moorings go in in winter and I also know where they go in the summer, they come out and hog the visitor moorings!!!

Don't worry i took it in jest, although i was a bit concerned that by using the term continuous cruiser rather than 'over stayer' or CM'er you were assuming that all cc'ers hog moorings and break the rules.

Don't worry i took it in jest, although i was a bit concerned that by using the term continuous cruiser rather than 'over stayer' or CM'er you were assuming that all cc'ers hog moorings and break the rules.

I would caution you against taking too much of the crap you read on here as a true picture of life on the canal when you do get a boat. Boaters don't easily sort themselves out into abbreviations.

• Greenie 1

Just been reading the posts on this film that we watched yesterday, brought back memories for hubby as in that year of '63 and the big freeze he worked on the Thames (Waterman&Lighterman) and he worked day and night trying to keep London warm by running gas oil & paraffin to Hammersmith from Greenhithe Kent. He said he had to take two new ropes per crew each time they went aboard the tug as once they got wet and froze they were like 'bars of iron' and unusable!!! He was even offered 50 'squids' for his hat as it was sooooo cold... and back then that was a lot of money :unsure:

Also he remembers the wind & spray as it froze in mid-air and was like being pelted with pebbles!!! What memories.

No they are not!!!!

Problem at Parbold is where do the visitor moorings start and end? I have had three different versions off three different officials! It is my belief that the visitor mooring starts at the bridge and ends by the first gate. There have been boats tied up there for months; even years, over the years (if that makes sense.)

P3040029.jpg

P3040034.jpg

Is that top pic between Halsall and Haskayne, Gaggle?

DSCF1295_zps2888602a.jpg

Ah the famous Visitor Moorings in Parbold that are always hogged by Continuous Cruisers!! Are they under the snow???

I ordered them to move whilst I took the picture :)

Is that top pic between Halsall and Haskayne, Gaggle?

It is towards Parbold taken after i passed through the first bridge after leaving Burscough , just got this out and it shows same tree behind bridge so heading towards Ring o Bells.

P3040028.jpg

Edited by gaggle