Winter shots on the Leeds Liverpool

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

It is towards Parbold taken after i passed through the first bridge after leaving Burscough , just got this out and it shows same tree behind bridge so heading towards Ring o Bells.

P3040028.jpg

Of course it is Glover's Bridge! It looks totally different in the snow. Used to keep a boat there in 1972 and should have known it :)

It's electric now, but used to be a cow to open.

Ah yes - I see the location now.

I just know that the manual ones can be hard work even when you get a grip - but on snow/ice. Luckily we have never had to do one in the snow.

Ah the Rufford branch. looks so benign in the photo's, but when the wind blows it can be a barsteward, especially as most lock landings seem to be "occpied". There can be only so many boats with engine problems, surely!

Ah the Rufford branch. looks so benign in the photo's, but when the wind blows it can be a barsteward, especially as most lock landings seem to be "occpied". There can be only so many boats with engine problems, surely!

yeah we got well and truly pinned against the bank at germans lock in a strong cross wind.

Here we go again, contact Vaughan Welch and you can both write some interesting stuff. I have been on The Rufford Branch for 6 weeks (Moved into St Mary's yesterday for 2 weeks) yesterday I walked up to Burscough from Rufford and there was one boat moored up. To my knowledge there is one boat at Solom at present and that boat is from St Mary's as I was speaking to the owner on Saturday. The part you have got right is the wind.

Aaah, that mischievous CloudInspector, photoshopping them all out to give us all the wrong impression. If 'most' lock landings seem to be 'occpied'' perhaps you'd like to explain why there's no boats in the photos?

Aaah, that mischievous CloudInspector, photoshopping them all out to give us all the wrong impression. If 'most' lock landings seem to be 'occpied'' perhaps you'd like to explain why there's no boats in the photos?

Now now please do not allow fact to get in the way of what from here on in I am going to call "A good Welch story"

Here we go again, contact Vaughan Welch and you can both write some interesting stuff. I have been on The Rufford Branch for 6 weeks (Moved into St Mary's yesterday for 2 weeks) yesterday I walked up to Burscough from Rufford and there was one boat moored up. To my knowledge there is one boat at Solom at present and that boat is from St Mary's as I was speaking to the owner on Saturday. The part you have got right is the wind.

Ok, hands up, a slight exageration! Call it poetic licence. I can really only comment on a snapshot last May. It was quiet boat movement wise, but very, very windy. On several lock landings we found moored up boats that had not recently been in movement. One lady popped her head out, apologised and said she had engine problems. Fair enough and I have no agenda to grind. It just made life a tad difficult at that time as we did not have enough room to disembark to work the lock, it was very windy and the nature of the banks made stopping short of the lock impossible.

I am not in the Vaughan Welch camp and never will be. I will always live and let live. Please do not judge me by one perhaps ill judged tongue in cheek post.

;)

Ok, hands up, a slight exageration! Call it poetic licence. I can really only comment on a snapshot last May. It was quiet boat movement wise, but very, very windy. On several lock landings we found moored up boats that had not recently been in movement. One lady popped her head out, apologised and said she had engine problems. Fair enough and I have no agenda to grind. It just made life a tad difficult at that time as we did not have enough room to disembark to work the lock, it was very windy and the nature of the banks made stopping short of the lock impossible.

I am not in the Vaughan Welch camp and never will be. I will always live and let live. Please do not judge me by one perhaps ill judged tongue in cheek post.

;)

Well done johnmuck, for coming clean. Your annoyance at not being able to get easily onto a lock landing in difficult conditions is understandable, unfortunately, your reaction to that annoyance and the assumptions you drew about a boat that was in your way, is exactly what Welchers feed off, we need to stop feeding them before they become a nuisance.

;)

fair enough I would have just asked her to close the Lock gate as her punishment for mooring on the landing. I have set myself up as the Welch Police!!!!!

Well done johnmuck, for coming clean. Your annoyance at not being able to get easily onto a lock landing in difficult conditions is understandable, unfortunately, your reaction to that annoyance and the assumptions you drew about a boat that was in your way, is exactly what Welchers feed off, we need to stop feeding them before they become a nuisance.

Welchers......I like thatcheers.gif