What soaps to use.....?

Swampfrog

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps.....

I've read a thread on this before but I am asking the question again just to confirm what to use as we do not want to get it wrong.

What types/makes of.....

1. shower gel

2. washing up liquid

3. liquid soap

4. Washing powder

5. Shampoo

6. Conditioner

7. Multi purpose cleaner (for cleaning sink etc)

.....should we use? Obviously we need to get this right. Is there any else we've missed that goes straight into the cut that we need to specifically use?

All those are allowed to go into the canal (rightly or wrongly). Just about the only thing that isn't, is your toilet. Which is where I can help, if you where on the K&A...

I understand they are all allowed to go straight into the Canal it's the "makes of" I'm looking for......I mean can I use Fairy bio washing powder or should I use Fairy Non bio washing powder or should it be Tesco's own brand........can you see what I mean....

:cheers:

I understand they are all allowed to go straight into the Canal it's the "makes of" I'm looking for......I mean can I use Fairy bio washing powder or should I use Fairy Non bio washing powder or should it be Tesco's own brand........can you see what I mean....

:cheers:

There is no restriction on personal hygiene and laundry items used within your boat, however keep strong chemical cleaners etc. to an absolute minimum.

This IS a serious question, yes? :unsure:

Some people swear by the ecover(sp?) brand, and find that one product can be used for more than one purpose, eg, the washing up liquid makes a good body soap (without, obviously, damaging their skin whilst helping remove the dirt).

It depends on your galley arrangement, size of sink, etc, but you may find you can re-evaluate (reduce) the amount of cleanser you use (compared to your brick boat), as you are 'cleansing' a much smaller space.

HTH.

Personally, as a general rule I use ecover or similar environmentally friendly products for all cleaning jobs other than personal hygiene. For that I use good quality soaps and shampoos 'cos I'm worth it.

I agree with Davidss and find I use less as I have a smaller area to clean. I also use domestos surface cleaner on work tops etc to keep them germ free.

Edited to add:

For cleaning grease and oil etc off my hands I use wipes which are available in most DIY stores. These are handy as they shift the heavy dirt and then go in the bin thus not dumping strong chemicals in the cut. Also save on water.

Edited by Meggers

There is no restriction on personal hygiene and laundry items used within your boat, however keep strong chemical cleaners etc. to an absolute minimum.

This IS a serious question, yes? :unsure:

Yes Dave, This IS a serious question......what I am looking for is the most "chemically free" "eco friendly" brands that I can use.

Ecover as Meggers said:

http://www.ecover.com/fi/en/index.aspx

NB Tia traverses the system selling Eco products:

http://tiacares.weebly.com/

We use ecover in the house too, have done so for years. Does the job as good as, if not better than, the 'brands'. Much kinder on those with sensitive skin who enjoy a bit of washing up.

Baby shampoo works just as well on grown ups and removes the need for conditioner as it doesn't strip your hair like the worth it types. I have copious amounts of long hair and don't need to wash it every day.

Looking after the environment is often the same as looking after yourself. After all if it is harmful to the critters...

Ecover is not environmentally friendly and doesn'r claim to be.

If you ignore the greenwash peddled by the profiteers you can find the W5 range at lidl that is no more damaging to the environment than ecover and far less damaging to your pocket.

And I would never pollute my boat with anything from the tiacares hypocrite.

Just a thought, just because it's environmentally friendly, doesn't mean you need to use more.

(edited out double posting)

If you ignore the greenwash peddled by the profiteers you can find the W5 range at lidl that is no more damaging to the environment than ecover and far less damaging to your pocket.

Agree environmentally friendly may be a bit strong, no cleaner is, but it is certainly a lot less damaging.

Edited by SuzyQ

Most supermarkets now have ranges that are no worse than ecover now and considering ecover's dubious business links are no less ethically sound either.

Other manufacturers have caught up and passed ecover but ecover survives because of greenwash.

Yes Dave, This IS a serious question......what I am looking for is the most "chemically free" "eco friendly" brands that I can use.

Ahhh...

I read it that you wanted to decide between Fairy, Morning Fresh, Tesco, Persil etc. hence the 'serious question' question :)

I agree with Carlt. We have no way of telling if these so called eco products are any better that the Tesco/Morrison or any other brand. We are all being lead on their eco hype, not facts.

Most supermarkets now have ranges that are no worse than ecover now and considering ecover's dubious business links are no less ethically sound either.

Other manufacturers have caught up and passed ecover but ecover survives because of greenwash.

A fair point as I have now read the label and it only claims to "be absorbed back into nature". A vague statement as one could argue that everything will be absorbed back into nature - eventually. I'll make note to read the labels more closely and ignore the hype.

You can get something called "Eco nuts" or under the brand name (I think!) of "Eco balls" that you use in your washing machine instead of soap powders. You can re use the balls up to 100 times I think too. I gave them a go but still prefer washing powder - psychological probably, but I just didn't feel the clothes would be as clean without washing powder!

Lots of people use them or similar things - there are also "soap nuts" which are walnut sized balls that grow on trees I think (?) and they're a natural antibacterial /antiseptic product from mother nature :)

I believe its the amount of surfacants and parabans in a product that are the most damaging to water/wild life. (I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, that aside many of the major supermarkets make their own "green" detergents. Currently, I'm using Co-op's own label washing up liquid. Their label claim to be BUAV approved (not tested on animals) and states that they only use natural ingredients. It also states that they are approved by the EU Ecolabel - meaning they only use natural ingredients. Antibac cleaner I'm using Tesco's "Naturally Powered". It claims to be made from plant derived cleaning products though I suspect there "may" be small quantities of other ingredients in it.

As for showering and hair washing we use Sanex 0% and Timontei 0% meaning they contain no parabans. TBH they foam just as well as any of the major branded shower cremes and shampoos. They just don't smell of anything and of course because they don't contain parabans the shampoos don't strip you hair. My daughter did buy me some 0% parabans shower creme from The Body Shop for Christmas - untested yet as am still using up the Sanex. It was expensive though. Not got around to wash powder yet as I use a laundrette so can use whatever is on offer.

I don't use bleach at all - I use Ecover Pine Toilet cleaner down the sink, as there doesn't appear to be anything too nasty in it. And if it needs anything a little stronger..............vinegar.

I tend to see whats on offer when I go shopping. 2 bottles of Co-ops Eco Wash up Liquid 2 for £1.60........80p a bottle.

I don't use bleach at all - I use Ecover Pine Toilet cleaner down the sink, as there doesn't appear to be anything too nasty in it. And if it needs anything a little stronger..............vinegar.

It was Ecover's toilet cleaner that failed Which's "green" test.

As for it's "natural" claims, it is a fact that there are many "natural" substances that are highly toxic ("More hemlock in your tea Mr Socrates?").

Ecover contains several natural oils that are known triggers for asthma and eczema and its claim that the SLS surfactant is natural because of its coconut oil source is a fallacy because of the chemicals and manufacturing process needed to convert natural lauryl alcohol into Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.

Most folk must have noticed when docking their boats the foul smelling big white blobs of stuff adhering to their hull.

I believe its the decaying animal fats left over from soaps and washing powders ect. I work on boats in drydock and have noticed this getting worse over the years, I suppose because more and more folk have washing machines and keep showering every five minutes. Boats that moor in marinas seemed to be more affected by this foul and stinky stuff.

There was a rumor a few years ago, mainly because of all the more prolific use of washing machines these days that boats would have to have grey water holding tanks. If this became law most boats would be just one big foul stinky holding tank with no room for accommodation. The rumor at the time I think was to apply to boats with washing machines only, but nothing came of it.

But beware it could quite well come to pass.

It was Ecover's toilet cleaner that failed Which's "green" test.

As for it's "natural" claims, it is a fact that there are many "natural" substances that are highly toxic ("More hemlock in your tea Mr Socrates?").

Ecover contains several natural oils that are known triggers for asthma and eczema and its claim that the SLS surfactant is natural because of its coconut oil source is a fallacy because of the chemicals and manufacturing process needed to convert natural lauryl alcohol into Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.

In that case I will save it for the pump out that's going in shortly rolleyes.gif

Best get a bigger bottle of white vinegar.............and maybe a Jif lemon or two.

Most folk must have noticed when docking their boats the foul smelling big white blobs of stuff adhering to their hull.

I believe its the decaying animal fats left over from soaps and washing powders ect. I work on boats in drydock and have noticed this getting worse over the years, I suppose because more and more folk have washing machines and keep showering every five minutes. Boats that moor in marinas seemed to be more affected by this foul and stinky stuff.

There was a rumor a few years ago, mainly because of all the more prolific use of washing machines these days that boats would have to have grey water holding tanks. If this became law most boats would be just one big foul stinky holding tank with no room for accommodation. The rumor at the time I think was to apply to boats with washing machines only, but nothing came of it.

But beware it could quite well come to pass.

We hired on the Canal du Midi some years back and that had a grey water tank. It was empty when we picked the boat up, but no where to empty when full so it just flowed into the canal out of the overflow and did it stink.

Ahhh...

I read it that you wanted to decide between Fairy, Morning Fresh, Tesco, Persil etc. hence the 'serious question' question :)

Sorry Dave, was using that just as a comparison......would just like to buy the right products that will do the least amount of harm to the lives that live "IN" the cut.

Agree with you...there is no real benefit in buying this..just because the name 'suggests' its eco-friendly.Study the labels and make up your own mind..

Also..after the 'Eco-man'..barged me out the way at a bridge last year...I decided to not trouble him again !!

I can think of some very good places...for him to stick his Eco-bottles..

Edited by Bobbybass