Article By Vaghan Welch - One Of Your Four CRT Council Boater Representatives

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I think Vaughan has hit the nail right on the head with this article. These are spongers without question and legitimate licence paying boaters do not want them around.

God knows why the BCN isnt full of these types, theres a myriad of places to hide, but thankfully when they do appear they quickly reported to CRT.

This needs doing everywhere by everyone who is fed up of these towpath tramps.

I know of several people who regulary cruise the Shroppie who are now thinking and in the process of selling off their boats because they do not enjoy having to moor well away from pubs and villages due to the "continious moorers".

CRT have got to tackle this problem in a harsh severe way and remove the offenders. Put them in a field with a portaloo and a tap, make them pay council tax and then they can have rubbish disposal too.

The times up for this load of freeloaders, if the system is to survive and thrive under CRT they must take action, and frankly it needs to be severe.

Well done Vaughan fore bringing it to the fore, time now for all those who see the problem to start reporting.

I thought this post must be a wind up when I read it!

It is .... isn't it?

How you doing Les recovering?

If all it takes is letters then maybe there shpuld be more written

Mind you C had been taking the mick at ten years....

Not to mention MBC has been around here for as long as I have.

I reserve that for idiots and arrogant fools,

Well if there were actually any on here no doubt we could bow down to your superior prowess at your exposure of them.

I wonder?

- if somebody boldly accuses another member of lying about how many hours boating they do or how they nicked an ebay purchase from another members nose or accusing them of editing a post when they have done nothing of the sort.

What does that say about them?

I thought this post must be a wind up when I read it!

It is .... isn't it?

Me too, when I realised it wasn't, I got quite depressed.

On the other hand, I think Welch has drawn attention to a very real problem. A LOT more residential boats lining its canals is just what Birmingham needs, they are, as Laurence Hogg I think was intimating, dead without them. Perhaps this should be added to the agenda for the forthcoming Birmingham meeting with CRT.

The canals would have to be made a bit more inviting than the current tumble weeds, motorway fly-overs, passing trains and scruffy industrial units currently present.

To attract people, it would probably need a small management team to coordinate with local employment agencies, schools and transport networks, do the London and K&A boaters have such organisers that could be called upon to investigate the Birmingham network, I am sure that CRT would be very supportive of such a move.

I believe the Birmingham canals present great untapped potential for lots of on line residential moorings and as they are currently devoid of boats, VM's and popular pubs, they present a wonderful clean sheet providing the ideal opportunity to get them well organised from the start and avoid some of the problems that perhaps London suffers.

It is well known that such boating communities, spark and then feed rapid urban regeneration, it's just what these canals are crying out for.

It would be interesting to hear other views on how this might be achieved?

Well if there were actually any on here no doubt we could bow down to your superior prowess at your exposure of them.

I wonder?

- if somebody boldly accuses another member of lying about how many hours boating they do or how they nicked an ebay purchase from another members nose or accusing them of editing a post when they have done nothing of the sort.

What does that say about them?

That they are a senior member of the IWA?

• Greenie 3

On the other hand, I think Welch has drawn attention to a very real problem. A LOT more residential boats lining its canals is just what Birmingham needs, they are, as Laurence Hogg I think was intimating, dead without them. Perhaps this should be added to the agenda for the forthcoming Birmingham meeting with CRT.

Indeed. One is tempted to think Laurence wants the Birmingham canals as his personal playground. On one hand he points at what prime boating water it is and on the other appears both to applaud and contradict what Vaughan says.

As you say what Birmingham needs is more boating of all the flavours that are flourishing on other canals.

The canals would have to be made a bit more inviting than the current tumble weeds, motorway fly-overs, passing trains and scruffy industrial units currently present.

To attract people, it would probably need a small management team to coordinate with local employment agencies, schools and transport networks, do the London and K&A boaters have such organisers that could be called upon to investigate the Birmingham network, I am sure that CRT would be very supportive of such a move.

I believe the Birmingham canals present great untapped potential for lots of on line residential moorings and as they are currently devoid of boats, VM's and popular pubs, they present a wonderful clean sheet providing the ideal opportunity to get them well organised from the start and avoid some of the problems that perhaps London suffers.

It is well known that such boating communities, spark and then feed rapid urban regeneration, it's just what these canals are crying out for.

It would be interesting to hear other views on how this might be achieved?

The same thing was discussed at our meeting in Skipton. It was recognised by most people that more residential communities need to be encouraged in certain parts of The Northern Network. This would result in more boats better security in certain urban areas where boaters never stop.I have been to Birmingham a couple of times but only really done the BCN once, I will always remember one Angler saying to me "you are the first boat I have seen since Noah's Ark" I was talking to another boater the other day who told me when he was on the BCN a couple of years ago he came through a Lock where there was an angler using the Lock Landing so the boater suggested it would be easier for the angler to close the Lock so he would not be disturbed. The angler agreed and said "In the 3 years I have been fishing here on a Sunday you are only the second boat I have seen"

The same thing was discussed at our meeting in Skipton. It was recognised by most people that more residential communities need to be encouraged in certain parts of The Northern Network.

When you say it was recognised by most people does that just refer to the boaters at the meeting or the reps from CaRT? When we tried to set up a small boating community on the Rochdale, within the last 18mth, having got an agreement from Rochdale MBC to use the land, BW could not have been less helpful or accommodating.

When you say it was recognised by most people does that just refer to the boaters at the meeting or the reps from CaRT? When we tried to set up a small boating community on the Rochdale, within the last 18mth, having got an agreement from Rochdale MBC to use the land, BW could not have been less helpful or accommodating.

I am surprised but maybe it would be worth your group first meeting with The Waterways Partnership. Contact Nigel Stevens he was at the meeting and is on the Manchester and Pennine Waterways Partnership

I know of several people who regulary cruise the Shroppie who are now 'thinking' and in the process of selling off their boats. Put them in a field with a portaloo and a tap, make them pay council tax and then they can have rubbish disposal too. if the system is to survive and thrive under CRT they must take action, and frankly it needs to be severe.

Well done fore bringing it to the fore, time now for all those who see the problem to start reporting Vaughan.

The angler agreed and said "In the 3 years I have been fishing here on a Sunday you are only the second boat I have seen"

I rest my case. This is why I felt that spending an hour in a northern meeting discussing the "overstaying problem" wasnt relevant to "the north". It seems to be more of a southern problem, and although I know we need to discuss it "in the north", as what affects one, affects all, I do wish more emphasis "in future northern meetings" could address the issue of regenerating "more boaters" up north, so the canals can get some life into them. As a boater, I enjoy seeing other boats cruising along, working locks, moored outside pubs, attracting the locals who come to watch, etc etc. The Bridgewater canal near Manchester seems to have quite a lot of that....partly because it's lovely....and there are many small towns right on the canalside.... but many towns dont advertise their canal/riverfronts...and boaters have to access them by walking up some stairs, down a side street....etc. Wouldnt it be great if we could generate more Friends of CRT by having more boat festivals (small ones will do) with organised events, like unplugged music bands playing from the roofs...attracting crowds...and other boats serving pancakes out the hatch....another serving hotdogs....etc. Unfortunately I think the UK is bogged down with too many Health and Safety rules, and this is a non starter......for a start, the fiddle player would probably fall off the slanted boat roof...

The most vociferous members on here on this subject boat up north. How do explain this apparent contradiction?

This is what confuses me too. There are obviously hotspots, but perhaps they use those hotspots to make a general point, which they shouldnt. CRT seem quite aware of the hotspots. They have the process in place already to deal with it, based on their legal powers, and number of enforcement staff. There's no longer any need for us to keep moaning about it :) We should be celebrating that CRT are dealing with it, and move on to new agendas....regenerating local canal events...:)

Since it's cold outside and I can't be bothered to go far from the fire I'll share an anecdote.

A few years ago I was moored near Bradford-on-Avon lock at Easter. I went early in the morning to get water above the lock winded and went down again.

A few hours later I went walking near the lock and it was chaos, over a dozen boats waiting to go up, visitor moorings full - and when you can see the lock you're already past them so nowhere to go, except breast up.

Trouble is all these boats going up were private boats who don't like breasting up, even for waiting for a lock, tempers were frayed, people moaning everywhere. The cafe was full, lots of spectators.

There was no lock keeper, BW got rid a few years ago, there's two big hire bases within a couple of miles (3 now) and most hirers head downstream towards Bath so complete chaos, first timers meet grumpy leisure boaters.

Now there were no, that's none, liveaboard boaters involved because they know what to expect, except for one guy I know, no boat but who took it upon himself to help the hire boaters through. I mucked in and helped, despite loads of abuse from the queuers. Though, naturally, gratitude from the hire boaters.

Now I hear a lot of moaning about congestion at Bradford lock and whinging about the visitor moorings ( where overstaying is rare because of the substantial wash from the lock).

A lot of that whinging makes its way to the Internet and the chattering classes, which gets mixed in with a comment or two about scruffy boats (easy target) but I know, for a fact;

If you want to go through Bradford lock with no queuing choose the right time

If you go through over Easter expect delay

And most of the problem was caused by BW removing the lockkeeper.

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 1

If you want to go through Bradford lock with no queuing choose the right time

If you go through over Easter expect delay

And most of the problem was caused by BW removing the lockkeeper.

Oh, did the lock keeper stop boats coming out at Easter in the olden days then....

What I cant understand isthat in my local area Hemel and Berko on the GU up until 6 months ago there were well known towpath shufflers that were always in the same place month after month,and yes I do know that they didnt have moorings, now they seem to have vanished. Where have they gone? One had been within half a mile of the same spot for 10 years.

So whilst I cannot see it at present there is no doubt that it has beena problem in this area

I now have a vision of a 3-mile caterpillar of ex-CM's slowly leap-frogging each other, heading North to the fabled land of Skipton where there are no shiny boaters, plenty of space, water points, mooring rings and *showers* waiting for them. I expect the invasion in about a decade...

--

Dave

ETA - and decent beer!

Edited by DaveP