Interesting transmission on a Ruston & Hornsby

MtB

Featured Posts

Yes it's still there. He's going to fight with the bushes tomorrow and see which one it is. It was an old generator engine. I believe it's all there (the engine, not the generator bit). It's in Watford if you wanted to have a look.

Ok thanks for checking!

Not marinised I presume. Sounds like a fair bit needs doing, conversion to variable speed, gearbox, etc but not out of the question. The alternative is buying something finished like this :)

Ok thanks for checking!

Not marinised I presume. Sounds like a fair bit needs doing, conversion to variable speed, gearbox, etc but not out of the question. The alternative is buying something finished like this :)

Yes needs a bit of work I think.

Is that the one at Granthams Bridge that the guy had removed to put an RN in?

What about a second Kelvin K1? That's got to be tempting!

Yes needs a bit of work I think.

Is that the one at Granthams Bridge that the guy had removed to put an RN in?

What about a second Kelvin K1? That's got to be tempting!

Interesting you say that. I must say I'm deeply tempted to put the K1 in Reg and a pokey Ruston into Aldebaran. Then rebuild the Gleniffer and... hmmmm... Oh I'll need another boat to put it in, damn :D

There is only one other K1 I know of, in CATKIN, and I doubt he wants to flog it...

MtB

Lol, that IS the one from CATKIN innit!

How come ebay didnt tell me about that? I have a saved search for Kelvin!

MtB

That one has been discussed here for nearly a week. I've been waiting for your comments on the thread but it must have slipped through your net.

BTW I regularly get hits from Google for eBay items not seen on eBay's own search engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry Tim, I found my answer:

222101.jpg

sra1.jpg

Richard

The green loco looks like the smallest Ruston made, the 11/13HP DL, engine is 2VTO, the biggest in this style, with more or less the same chassis is the 48HP with 4VRO engine ( this was available with standard gauge wheels and various lesser gauges.

The loco gearbox served all sizes of engine and is much bigger than the 2VTO . It has 3 forward or reverse speeds and a separate oil bath clutch for each speed- this allows for the clutch to be "slipped" indefinitely so the wheels can get a grip ( in combination with the sanding gear ) when getting a heavy train away on a gradient. Altogether a very elegant design and the reason we regularly use our DL ,even though it's 72 years old now- pretty well bombproof these Rustons.

We have a wooden boat in the yard just now with a 2VSH , sounds fantastic, as do the 10RB ( 3VRH) and 22RB ( 6YDA) . Rustons- brilliant!

Bill

If I can be permitted to go off topic there is a rebuild of a Gardner No.2 gearbox and challenging rebuild of the 3L2 driving it, both told in pictures here

Intersting to note that pistons could well be the originals as they are the older 5 ring type

Steve