Interesting transmission on a Ruston & Hornsby

MtB

Featured Posts

I wonder what that chain is driving off that arm - or is it the other way round - Is that something to do with changing gear?

Undoubtedly that is the gear change, and not flailing around under engine powe during normal operations.

I think I've seen something like that gearbox somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where!

I'm wondering if the reason that mechanism for gear changing lies over at an angle, rather than standing up vertically, like say on a Brunton box, is because it comes from an application where excess height was an issue - like under the deck-boards of a small sea-going boat?

I think I've seen something like that gearbox somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where!

It's reminiscent of the gearbox on that Garner 4L2 on a trailer often linked to on here, but smaller I think.

Or is it a 6L2?

MtB

Undoubtedly that is the gear change, and not flailing around under engine powe during normal operations.

I'm wondering if the reason that mechanism for gear changing lies over at an angle, rather than standing up vertically, like say on a Brunton box, is because it comes from an application where excess height was an issue - like under the deck-boards of a small sea-going boat?

Or simply so that the chain is vertical, and clear(ish) of the way through to the back cabin.

122240.jpg?1358176059

122243.jpg?1358176091

Looks like it has the properties of a bicycle chain - a mechanism carefully designed to ensure the maximum transfer of oil from chain to clothing!

Or simply so that the chain is vertical, and clear(ish) of the way through to the back cabin.

Looks like it has the properties of a bicycle chain - a mechanism carefully designed to ensure the maximum transfer of oil from chain to clothing!

Ah, I did look at the full advert, but obviously didn't g down far enough to find those pictures.

I'm not sure about "based on Empress, the oldest surviving FMC working boat" - Not that closely, I'd suggest, looking at the pictures.

I realise the boat is being sold as "work in progress", but hopefully they will at least put a flue on the Epping before it gets sold - or warn any potential buyer it should not be used until it has one!

It's reminiscent of the gearbox on that Garner 4L2 on a trailer often linked to on here, but smaller I think.

Or is it a 6L2?

MtB

Gardner4l2.jpg

I think the image belongs to "Dove"

ETA is it an L2 or an LK? I don't really know my Gardners.

Edited by Speedwheel

I think the image belongs to "Dove"

Totally different box. The gardner 'conic drive' box uses gears & chains via an upper shaft to get reverse rotation.

The box on the R&H looks vaguely like some early Parsons independent boxes, no doubt other makes produced something vaguely similar. From the shape of it, looks more like a 'conventional' box with probably plate clutches and epicyclic or bevel gears for reverse.

Tim

"L2" seems to be cast into the surface between the front pair and rear pair of cylinders...

N

Yes, definitely a 4L2.

The LK was the most compact of the Gardners, much smaller and higher rpm than the L2.

Incidentally, the red spot near the top of the gearbox is where you fit the starting handle.

Tim

122229.jpg

That seems familiar, can't remember why just yet

Richard

Glenniffer boxes had a similar sort of operating mechanism, but that doesn't look much like the Gelnniffer boxes that I've seen.

Tim

What did Ruston use on locomotives?

Richard

If you're asking me, I've no idea. I'll guess that the loco builders arranged that side of things.

That was certainly the case with a Hunslet loco which I used to drive, which was powered by a JP2, it had a box which Hunslets made themselves.

Incidentally it had an electric-welded casing, built in 1935, from about 1" thick steel plate. Cutting edge stuff ;)

Tim

It's the same engine that I have in my boat. I too have a bicycle chain for the throttle speed wheel, but mine is offset so the chain is out of the way. Also they've used the stationary fuel tank, which I contemplated until I realised it would have to be vented through the roof, which they have not done so it won't pass the BSC as it is. In my view these are lovely engines which are still cheap and they sound great.

Casp'

In my view these are lovely engines which are still cheap and they sound great.

Casp'

A 2VSH is cheap? (Is it a 2VSH?) Do you know of any for sale then?

If not, would you be interested in selling me yours at a suitably inflated price? ;)

MtB

A 2VSH is cheap? (Is it a 2VSH?) Do you know of any for sale then?

If not, would you be interested in selling me yours at a suitably inflated price? ;)

MtB

Mine was £350 and it had been almost fully reconditioned.. I saw, last year, a fully restored 2VSH with brand new PRM 260 fitted, sold for £1600.. I nearly bought it just to clutter up the garage but i'd just bought my Dorman 2DSM for £600.

Casp'

Well I assume it's still there and he hasn't sold it. It's been sat under a sheet for 10+ years. I'll ask for you.

Ok thanks!

Just to explain, I'm toying with the idea of a something to drop into Reginald so the boat remains useable while I get Jennifer the Gleniffer rebuilt properly. So it would need to be a runner, which it may not be if it's been lying untouched for ten years. Or maybe it will be fine...

MtB