WEATHER WEATHER WEATHER

DeanS

Featured Posts

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand BACK TO THE TOPIC.......

should C&RT suspend maintenance till Dec, so we can enjoy the canals longer, as it seems they may no longer be freezing up as early as previously expected (by me) :)

During several recent winters, the coldest weather has been in November. Didn't we have ice on the cut in November this winter? Can't remember exactly when it was.

Tim

should C&RT suspend maintenance till Dec, so we can enjoy the canals longer, as it seems they may no longer be freezing up as early as previously expected (by me)

Don't quite follow this...

I don't think C&RT plan their maintenance to coincide with freezing weather, more to be during the quiet period. And if they delayed maintenance in the autumn, it would have to be extended in the spring. Unless you are suggesting they do less maintenance.

At least this year C&RT have tried to coordinate their stoppages, e.g. by keeping the N-S routes via T&M & Shroppie open rather than having stoppages on both routes at the same time as has happened in the past. And I believe they post their proposed stoppages early so that they can be commented on by boaters and the stoppages reviewed.

During several recent winters, the coldest weather has been in November. Didn't we have ice on the cut in November this winter? Can't remember exactly when it was.

Tim

The beginning of December it was icy on the GU (Joe was found under it, sadly)

That, along with the preposterous claim that its only CO2 that's causing it, is crippling our ability to adapt to this entirely natural phenomenon. CO2 accounts for only about 0.5% of the Earth's atmosphere & man contributes a little over 0.6% of the globe's entire annual CO2 output, thus making the reduction of man's contribution the equivalent of peeing into the wind.

I have to pick you up on this statement because you are missing out a critically important piece of information: Slightly more than 99% of the atmosphere is made up of Nitrogen and Oxygen which are not greenhouse gases and so do nothing to warm the planet.

It seems to me that you can't really rely on the seasons any more -- you never know what type of weather any given month might bring.

In other words, nothing has changed in living memory. I don't think, for example, that the wonderful summer of 1976 was predicted long beforehand.

Edited by Athy

We are probably not doing our planet 'any good' with all the mineral extraction, tree felling and burning of carbon fuels but Global Warming /Climate change has happened before (without any of Man's destructive involvement),and no doubt will happen again.

"....The United States National Science Foundation-funded project named Bighorn Basin Coring Project was conducted by a group of 30 international scientists from the US, the UK, Germany and the Netherlands. They looked at the vast fossil deposits in rock strata in Wyoming in the US, charting the period 55 million years ago when the Earth’s temperature rose suddenly (by 6°C)....."

We are probably not doing our planet 'any good' with all the mineral extraction, tree felling and burning of carbon fuels but Global Warming /Climate change has happened before (without any of Man's destructive involvement),and no doubt will happen again.

"....The United States National Science Foundation-funded project named Bighorn Basin Coring Project was conducted by a group of 30 international scientists from the US, the UK, Germany and the Netherlands. They looked at the vast fossil deposits in rock strata in Wyoming in the US, charting the period 55 million years ago when the Earth’s temperature rose suddenly (by 6°C)....."

Well said that man.

What are you, some kind of one man mob?

Like the aged member who wakes suddenly from a sound slumber in the corner to call out 'hear hear' and then slip back into sleep immediately afterwards.

What are you on? Spuds has been quite active in this discussion - IMO there's no call for that comment

• Greenie 1

Suddenly in geological terms. It took 22,000 years.

On current trajectories we're looking at somewhere between 1.6–6.9°C over preindustrial temperatures by the end of the century.

And with that I'll stop. It is a boating forum after all :-)

What are you on? Spuds has been quite active in this discussion - IMO there's no call for that comment

Thank you KevMc, I don't understand it either. When you get dumped on just for liking someone else's post, then you know the dumpster has completely lost the plot.

Thank you KevMc, I don't understand it either. When you get dumped on just for liking someone else's post, then you know the dumpster has completely lost the plot.

Don't rise to it - it's just an irritating buzz

- look at me - look how clever I am - look how rude I can be - look how many posts I have made - look how important I am - look at me - etc, etc.

Early teens is my guess.

• Greenie 3

Suddenly in geological terms. It took 22,000 years.

On current trajectories we're looking at somewhere between 1.6–6.9°C over preindustrial temperatures by the end of the century.

And with that I'll stop. It is a boating forum after all :-)

According to the BBC this morning, that's all changed, they downgraded the temperature rise, but I have no idea who they are. When they can give me an accurate weather forecast for next week I might be prepared to believe the can predict what is going to happen in ten years or even longer until then I remain sceptical.

Ken

I thought that 'science' was supposed to be infallible ... well in that you performed an experiment to show something happened and then were able to repeat that experiment and get the same results. Climatology is something that you cannot experiment with so it can't really be a science - or have I missed something ?

According to the BBC this morning, that's all changed, they downgraded the temperature rise,

That would be because they have just noticed that the long term average is actually turning downhill.

They are hedging their bets at present, and saying "no change" for the next 5 years (instead of their previous prediction of an increase), but if the averages follow a classic path, we could see the temperatures drop over the next 20-30 years

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/actualmonthly/

Yes.

Around 150 years of mathematics.

How much reliance should we place on your mathematics when you calculate that 1910 - 2012 is "around 150 years"?

Don't rise to it - it's just an irritating buzz

- look at me - look how clever I am - look how rude I can be - look how many posts I have made - look how important I am - look at me - etc, etc.

Early teens is my guess.

Who's rising? I'm just saying it as I see it, billS, that's all.

Edited by Spuds

A quick 'skoot' thru our prehistory indicates we may be in a cycle - anyone can cut and paste from a Google search but for allyou doom & gloom merchants just remember there are two sides to every story.

1) 7 thousand years ago, in the midst of the present period (Holocene) between glaciation, the Russian Arctic, at least, was 2.5-7 deg.C (4-12 F) warmer than today

2) Global average sea level in the last interglacial (Eemian) period (130,000-111,000 years ago) was likely 13 to 20 feet (4 to 6 meters) higher than during the 20th century, mainly due to the retreat of polar ice. Ice core data indicate that average Arctic temperatures at that time were 5.7 to 9.5 deg. F (3 to 5 deg. C) higher than present, because of differences in the Earth’s orbit.

3) During the Mid-Pliocene (about 3 million years ago) global temperatures were substantially warmer for a sustained period and are similar to those forecast by IPCC, with similar CO2 and sea levels of 15-25 meters (50-82 ft.) greater than today. Most of the warming was in the high northern latitudes with little warming in the tropics.

4) The Mid-Cretaceous period is one period in the geologic past that stands out as distinctly warmer than today, particularly at high latitudes. During the mid-Cretaceous Period, 120-90 million years ago, fossil remains of plants and animals believed to inhabit warm environments, were found at much higher latitudes. Breadfruit trees apparently grew as far north as Greenland (55° N)

Edited by Alan de Enfield